Warning WHS violates the Cox Acceptable Use Policy RRS feed

• General discussion

• I received a nasty-gram last week from Cox stating basically that if I didn't disable the use of my server that they would cancel my account.  I was floored, I mean it's not like I'm using it for filesharing, or viruses, nope, just pictures of my family camping and some personal files and documents.  So I decided to email them and explain the scenario, and the response I got was basically here's the link for the acceptable use policy, and if you don't like it you can go elsewhere.  So for anyone who has Cox, consider yourself warned, for anyone who is looking, read the providers AUP.  Personally, as much as I hate DSL, I'm switching to Qwest because I hate censorship more.
    • Changed type EriKask Monday, September 21, 2009 11:19 PM Information
    Monday, September 21, 2009 11:19 PM

All replies

• you basically triggered a flag in their monitoring software.  You must have gone above the threshold they set as notmal up load usage.

you turn off you personal web site / sharing for a month or so, then when you turn it on again...try and slow it down a little.
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 3:51 PM
  • Not even close, I only had it up and running for about two weeks, and during that time transfered one whole Word document.  They apparently run a port sniffer on the network to detect unsecured ports. 

Tuesday, September 22, 2009 4:23 PM
  • I wish I would've seen this before I set up my WHS. Does Qwest prohibit servers?
    Friday, January 1, 2010 12:40 PM
  • I've posted about WHS vs AUP/TOS before, many ISPs do NOT allow residential customers to run "servers" and most don't care what kind of "server" that is. That also included Verizon and Charter Communications back when I checked their AUPS a couple of years ago.

The solution is to turn off the remote access parts of WHS in the console or at the router and just use it for backup and file storage and not for file sharing and remote access over the WAN. Microsoft should have worked at better educating the major ISPs so they could exempt normal WHS operation but the rules are the rules and we all agreed to follow them. Evading the AUP, as the OP was informed, can lead to account suspension or termination.

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -- Thomas Paine
    Friday, January 1, 2010 8:10 PM