Standalone File Recovery on Secondary Drives - Loads of CAB Files? RRS feed

• Question

• Short story - I believe my WHS Server Recovery process just did a Factory Reset, I am quite positive I asked for a System Restore but a message after the OS load indicated 'Initializing Windows Home Server'  (that sounded like a bad sign).   On bootup, Share folder now only contains empty default folders (Movies, Music etc).  Secondary drives, when installed on another system show 99% free with  DE folder only containing default Software files.   Acer Hardware support is telling me it's not a hardware problem and directing me to their (chargeable) software support.

I'm trying file recovery on the secondary drives, when mounted on a separate system.   Only the DE folder and default Software folder appears with Explorer.   File recovery software (Pandora, Search and Recovery)  report thousands of recoverable files, but almost all of them are .cab filetype.     However, I am unable to open any of the CAB files once recovered.     

Has anyone seen this scenario and do you know 1) is consumer File Recovery software useful in recovering data from secondary drives, and 2) any idea why almost all of them are reported as .cab filetype?

Monday, September 6, 2010 4:10 AM

Answers

• .cab files are, as you probably know, a type of compressed archive. Did you have thousands of .cab files originally? Or did you have very few, and thousands of other file types? If the latter, possibly you need to try another disk, or another recovery tool.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by john-with-whs Tuesday, September 7, 2010 5:28 AM
    Monday, September 6, 2010 12:23 PM

All replies

• .cab files are, as you probably know, a type of compressed archive. Did you have thousands of .cab files originally? Or did you have very few, and thousands of other file types? If the latter, possibly you need to try another disk, or another recovery tool.
    • Marked as answer by john-with-whs Tuesday, September 7, 2010 5:28 AM
    Monday, September 6, 2010 12:23 PM
  • Thanks Ken, you are correct.   Iolo Search and Recover was reporting thousands of recoverable files of type .cab, apparently misinterpreting the file type.    Pandora Recovery is showing me file types which I recognize.
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 5:33 AM
  • Okay, that's good. Note, though, that as the drives have been formatted and repartitioned, you may not recover 100%.
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 12:40 PM