none
Retirement question MCITP Windows Server 2008 and upgrade paths RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I want to get myself certified as soon as possible and have some questions regarding the examens and the retirement of it.

Since windows Server 2012 is not widely used and the official material will come out in a few months, I am thinking of doing my Windows Server 2008 certificates first. I also have an experience with it so think this will help me understand the server OS more.

I am aiming for the MCSE Server 2012 and will use this upgrade path:

Windows Server 2008 Active Directory, Configuring: 70-640
    Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, Configuring: 70-642
    Windows Server 2008, Server Administrator: 70-646

Upgrading your skills to MCSA Windows Server 2012: 70-417

Designing and Implementing a Server Infrastructure: 70-413
    Implementing an Advanced Server Infrastructure: 70-414

Now I saw that the examens for MCITP: Server Administrator on Windows Server 2008 were going to be retired before 31 july 2013.

What does this exactly mean for me? Do I need to pass all 3 before this date or I will lose the opportunity to get them all and go for my upgrade exam?

I also saw that the same certifications makes me a MSCA for Windows Server 2008 and I don't see anything about the certifications being retired?

I think it means the following:
    Since the examens will not be terminated at 31 july 2013, I will still be able to do the examens for 70-640, 70-642, 70-646 and this will automatically make me a MCSA for 2008 (also after 31 july 2013).
    With this role, I can just do the upgrade exam which will give me the title MCSA for 2012.

The only difference is that if I am able to do these 3 examens before 31 july 2013, I will have been a MCITP and a MCSA for 2008 and this will show on my transcript. The title for MCITP will not be valid anymore after 31 july 2013, but it's nice to have it.

Is this correct?

I am a little bit confused since I have no idea what this retirement means for me. I hope that you can give me guidance in this. Do you think that it's possible to get my MCITP before 31 july? I am a junior system engineer with 1,5y experience.

Your help is much appreciated!

Kind regards,

Sven Celis

• Edited by Silencer0001 Monday, January 21, 2013 10:53 AM spelling errors
    Monday, January 21, 2013 10:52 AM

Answers

• Hi Sven,

Congratulations on passing the 70-640 exam, and welcome to the world of Microsoft. It seems to me that you've been receiving some conflicting information, so I will try to clarify things for you based on Microsoft's own declarations.

Firstly, the MCITP designation for most Microsoft certification tracks (but not all) retires on July 31, 2013, along with several different exams. The MCITP moniker will be replaced by the MCSA designation after that date, although students who qualify for MCITP status now are awarded MCSA status concurrently.

Secondly, the three exams that currently comprise the MCITP: Server Administrator on Windows Server 2008 (70-640, 70-642, 70-646) are not being retired, only the MCITP certification is being retired. These three constituent exams are not currently scheduled for retirement, and are now being used to fulfill the requirements for the MCSA: Windows Server 2008 certification.

Therefore, you can go ahead and take your time to pass exams 70-642 and 70-646 to complete your MCSA: Windows Server 2008. After this, you can take upgrade exam 70-417 to achieve your MCSA: Windows Server 2012, and then move on from there. I wish you every success with your certifications.

James

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 9:06 PM
  • Hi Sven,

Mr. Wharty is right. I should have made it clearer in my post. Once you gain the MCITP certification, you have it forever. It doesn't expire after the certification retires. Retirement simply means you can't earn that certification anymore, but once you've earned it, it's yours. In other words, once an MCITP, always an MCITP. Now on to MCSA and MCSE :-)

James

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 10:04 PM
  • Hi Sven,

You're certainly welcome.

Regarding the validity of Server 2003 certifications, they are still valid according to Microsoft. However, it's always at the discretion of the employer to determine what certifications they will recognize, and for how long.

However, not all Microsoft certifications will continue to be valid indefinitely. For example, the new MCSE certifications will require re-certification every 3 years. Otherwise, they will expire.

Once again, congratulations on your pass, and I wish you every success on the road ahead.

James

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 10:49 PM
  • Just some clarification.  Only the exams are retiring, not the certification i.e. the MCITP credential will still be valid after 31st july 2013, you just won't be able to obtain it if you haven't passed all the exams before 31st July 2013.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

• Marked as answer by Silencer0001 Tuesday, February 5, 2013 10:39 PM
    Tuesday, February 5, 2013 9:55 PM

All replies

• The most important question now is, what certification(s) do you have now? - This is the key to the whole scenario.

Let's say, if you do not have any of the certification for gaining the title MCSA Windows Server 2008, then you must ask yourself how much experience do you have prior to administrating a Windows Server 2008 environment? 

If you can't answer much, then ask yourself if you are able to gain the paper knowledge by July? I would say it took me a year of hands-on to bring me through the various papers. Thus it varies differently for different people.

Don't cramp yourself and force yourself to clear by July 31st as Retirement means that on 1st August 2013, you can't even take those exam already. While if you have passed the papers before 1st August 2013, it still remain valid certification till it expires.

My suggestion would be, kick-start your journey in Administrating Windows Server 2012 if you are keen. Sign up for the class to learn more if you can't get much hands-on during your day-to-day. Most importantly, there are many online resources made available. There is also Windows Azure Trial with 90 days for you to launch Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine to play and test with. 

Cheers.

Regards,
    Milton Goh
    MCSE, MCSA, MCITP, MCTS, MCP
    Blog: blog.nerdytwo.com
    Twitter: @miltongoh

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 1:34 AM
  • What this means is that you must pass the 2008 exams before 1st August 2013 as they will be retired on 31st July 2013.  Once the exams have been retired, you will not be able to take them, irrespective of whether you've already passed some of the exams required to gain MCSA 2008.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton

Monday, January 28, 2013 10:36 PM
  • Hi Miltongoh,

Thanks for your suggestions and sorry for the late reply.

I have around 5 years experience with Windows Server 2003-2008 (2 years of which job related expierence and not training).

A lot of the content is the books are familiair for me, but not all of them and I have learned a lot from the books.

Today, I just passed the 70-640 exam and will be doing the rest and I will see how it goes. Too bad all of the materials for Windows Server 2012 are not released yet, otherwise I would be doing them. I just switched jobs and at my current company I don't have a project at the moment so I can study all the time. To learn this exam it took me around 10 full days to cover the books, practises and exam preparations. So in the coming months, I think I will be able to do the other 2 exams.

I just was a little bit confused because on the website of microsoft I found this: This certification will be retired on July 31, 2013. The MCSA: Windows Server 2008 certification and corresponding exams will remain in market.

So it appeared to me that after 31 july, I could still do the 2008 exams but only for the MCSA title and not the MCITP title. Am I correct on this one? So the exams of 70-640, 70-642 and 70-646 are still valid at this point I think?

Thanks again for your input, guys!

Monday, February 4, 2013 10:16 AM
  • Hi,

Microsoft has did the re-branding and necessary changes from MCITP to MCSA. Therefore most MCITP should be transited to MCSA like MCITP Windows Server 2008 Server Administrator will get MCSA Windows Server 2008. 

What I was trying to explain on the certification retirement means that, from 1st August 2013, no one can book the exam already. Taking this paper, 70-640 as an example. This exam will not be available for booking from 1st August 2013. However, for those who passed the exam on and before 31st July 2013, the certificate will remain valid for the usual validity of the respective certificate. 

Cheers.

Regards,
    Milton Goh
    MCSE, MCSA, MCITP, MCTS, MCP
    Blog: blog.nerdytwo.com
    Twitter: @miltongoh

Monday, February 4, 2013 4:38 PM
  • Hi Sven,

Congratulations on passing the 70-640 exam, and welcome to the world of Microsoft. It seems to me that you've been receiving some conflicting information, so I will try to clarify things for you based on Microsoft's own declarations.

Firstly, the MCITP designation for most Microsoft certification tracks (but not all) retires on July 31, 2013, along with several different exams. The MCITP moniker will be replaced by the MCSA designation after that date, although students who qualify for MCITP status now are awarded MCSA status concurrently.

Secondly, the three exams that currently comprise the MCITP: Server Administrator on Windows Server 2008 (70-640, 70-642, 70-646) are not being retired, only the MCITP certification is being retired. These three constituent exams are not currently scheduled for retirement, and are now being used to fulfill the requirements for the MCSA: Windows Server 2008 certification.

Therefore, you can go ahead and take your time to pass exams 70-642 and 70-646 to complete your MCSA: Windows Server 2008. After this, you can take upgrade exam 70-417 to achieve your MCSA: Windows Server 2012, and then move on from there. I wish you every success with your certifications.

James

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 9:06 PM
  • Just some clarification.  Only the exams are retiring, not the certification i.e. the MCITP credential will still be valid after 31st july 2013, you just won't be able to obtain it if you haven't passed all the exams before 31st July 2013.

Jeff Wharton

• Marked as answer by Silencer0001 Tuesday, February 5, 2013 10:39 PM
    Tuesday, February 5, 2013 9:55 PM
  • Hi Sven,

Mr. Wharty is right. I should have made it clearer in my post. Once you gain the MCITP certification, you have it forever. It doesn't expire after the certification retires. Retirement simply means you can't earn that certification anymore, but once you've earned it, it's yours. In other words, once an MCITP, always an MCITP. Now on to MCSA and MCSE :-)

James

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 10:04 PM
  • Hi James,

First of all thanks to the extended information and the gratz on my certification :) It's indeed not simple to get a quick and correct answer to these questions, so thank god for the community of microsoft! At my work, they also thought that the exams would be gone, but after browsing the microsoft website I was not sure anymore, so thanks again for the correct answer!!

Normally, I would manage to get the other 2 certifications before the end of July and the MCITP title counts as an extra boost I must say!

And like you said, after the MCITP & MCSA 2008, I will do the 70-417 and move my way up to the MCSE for Windows Server 2012.

Just a little side note on this: You say that you always hold the title of MCITP.. But at my previous company I heard that some old certifications like Server 2003 were not valid anymore to gain a partnership. Is this also related to some sort of retirement?

Thanks again mate, really helped me out!

@Mr.Warty, also a thanks to you for the extra information on this topic, appreciate it!

• Edited by Silencer0001 Tuesday, February 5, 2013 10:42 PM Thanks to Mr.Warty
    Tuesday, February 5, 2013 10:39 PM
  • Hi Sven,

You're certainly welcome.

Regarding the validity of Server 2003 certifications, they are still valid according to Microsoft. However, it's always at the discretion of the employer to determine what certifications they will recognize, and for how long.

However, not all Microsoft certifications will continue to be valid indefinitely. For example, the new MCSE certifications will require re-certification every 3 years. Otherwise, they will expire.

Once again, congratulations on your pass, and I wish you every success on the road ahead.

James

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 10:49 PM
  • Hi James,

Ah ok now I see! Also thanks for the heads up also for the MCSE certifications. ;-) Will keep that in mind when I have passed the exams.

Cheers and for you also all the best!

Sven

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 10:54 PM