Streaming permissions RRS feed

• Question

• I’m a bit confused with permissions on the folders. If I have user A and user B, and if I have folder "1" and folder "2" how do I keep them separate from the 2 users? As shared folders it works fine, but not when I enable streaming.

So for example if user A only has read access to folder 1, and user B only has read access to folder 2. I enable media streaming for folder 1 and folder 2. If I log in remotely (via the web) as user A I can see in shared folders just folder 1. However in the media section I can see all files from folder “1” and folder “2”.  Same goes for user B, you would think that they would only be able to see the shared folders they have access to (which they do) and the streaming section would only show the files they have access to.

Why is that not the case? Or am I missing something? I have not done any special permission settings, only used what was available in the Dashboard.

Any help on this?

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 12:57 AM

Answers

• As has been said above, that can't be done via streaming because of how DLNA works Your only option is shared folders and have your users log in to the server.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by Shkelton Wednesday, September 14, 2011 12:31 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:53 AM

All replies

• Unfortunately once you enable streaming, which uses DLNA, folder permissions mean nothing. DLNA will stream everything without any regards as to WHS permissions.

It is not a WHS bug but in my opinion an error in the way DLNA has been ratified by the DLNA organisation.

I do not use streaming but simply use the server as a file store and use win 7 media centre to access the files. This way I can keep movies etc. seperated as required by the use of the WHS folder permissions and different profiles on the media centre. My way of keeping grandkids away from inappropriate entertainment.

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home
    • Edited by frogz1 Wednesday, September 14, 2011 1:23 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Ken Warren Wednesday, September 14, 2011 1:34 AM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 1:18 AM
  • That's a bummer. When I meant streaming I meant over the web. You know have multiple remote accounts, friends, family and let them stream over the internet via their browser, like my own personal cloud :)

Too bad really - it would have been perfect otherwise - well maybe except the whole drive extender thing :) :)

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:59 AM
  • It's pretty likely that the RIAA will take a very dim view of you streaming to all and sundry, and they've proven repeatedly that A) they're willing to sue grannies for hundreds of thousands of dollars when their grandkids download a few songs on granny's internet connection, and B) they're able to prevail in those suits, albeit primarily by virtue of their very deep pockets.

You might want to look into what an internet radio station pays (to ASCAP and BMI, I think, though I could be wrong about who collects) to be able to stream a wide range of content, because that's what the inevitable lawsuit will seek as base damages...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:35 AM
  • I never said music or anything like that. I meant family photos and home movies. If I could set permissions correctly, I could then easily for example seperate friends from family. So my in-laws in europe could see photos as a slide show and stream videos, yet my friends would not see those private videos but just pictures, or however I set it up. Plus with the easy drag and drop I could share those files easier then using email - which should be no issue since the shared folders works ok - its just the streaming media.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:57 AM
  • As has been said above, that can't be done via streaming because of how DLNA works Your only option is shared folders and have your users log in to the server.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by Shkelton Wednesday, September 14, 2011 12:31 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:53 AM
  • Frankly, Shkelton, you'd probably be better off looking at a solution such as SkyDrive - there you can have fine-grained access control, and the user experience for viewing and handling photos is much better than WHS 2011.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 12:44 PM