Cannot install Windows OneCare on non-English Windows Vista. RRS feed

• Question

• Here is a problem.
    A Windows Live OneCare disc was purchased for a 1 year subscription by a friend of mine.
    This person has a non-english version of Windows Vista. When trying to install the program, it aborts by saying that the system language is not supported.
    My question is why would the product care which system language is the main one? The program will be installed in English, which should be fine. The main question is what to do to work around this issue, if possible? Please advise.
    Saturday, February 2, 2008 10:55 PM

Answers

• OneCare can only be installed when the operating system language is supported. However, the secondary concern is it can only be activated in a country where it is sold.

In which countries and languages is Windows Live OneCare available?

The Windows Live OneCare subscription service is available in the following countries and languages: Australia (English), Austria (German), Belgium (Dutch, French), Canada (English, French), France (French), Germany (German), Ireland (English), Italy (Italian), Japan (Japanese), Mexico (Spanish), Netherlands (Dutch), New Zealand (English), Singapore (English), Spain (Spanish), Switzerland (French, German), United Kingdom (English), United States (English, Spanish).

Pasted from <http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/faq.htm>

What language is the OS of your PC and in what country are you located?

-steve

Monday, February 4, 2008 2:15 AM

All replies

• OneCare can only be installed when the operating system language is supported. However, the secondary concern is it can only be activated in a country where it is sold.

In which countries and languages is Windows Live OneCare available?

The Windows Live OneCare subscription service is available in the following countries and languages: Australia (English), Austria (German), Belgium (Dutch, French), Canada (English, French), France (French), Germany (German), Ireland (English), Italy (Italian), Japan (Japanese), Mexico (Spanish), Netherlands (Dutch), New Zealand (English), Singapore (English), Spain (Spanish), Switzerland (French, German), United Kingdom (English), United States (English, Spanish).

Pasted from <http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/faq.htm>

What language is the OS of your PC and in what country are you located?

-steve

Monday, February 4, 2008 2:15 AM
  • Thank you for your prompt reply.

My friend's OS language is Russian and he is located in Canada. I see from the list that Russian is not supported. However, why should it even matter? It's not like you cannot have programs with English interface on a non-English version of Windows.

Regards,
    Monday, February 4, 2008 3:47 PM
  • Well, it will work in Canada.

It will not install to a Russian language version of XP. If he is running Vista, he may be able to add English to the system languages with a language pack and be able to install, though I don't know for sure.

I don't know the guts of the program, but apparently the system language is important for the functioning of OneCare, probably due to the low level interaction with the OS and the protection OneCare provides.

-steve

Monday, February 4, 2008 4:16 PM
  • He is running Windows Vista. I will advise him then to add English as another system language to see if that will make any difference. Although, he already has English language preinstalled, by default, in the language menu. It won't hurt to make sure though. Thank you
    Monday, February 4, 2008 5:39 PM