DBAN +WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, so I got a rig together using 3x 7200.9 160Gb Seagate Barracuda's, 1x 7200.7 160Gb Seagate Barracuda,  and a Pioneer DVR-111D and wiped all the disks using DBAN prior to attempting to load WHS.

This is on a Supermicro board with dual P3 800's, and 2.25Gb of ECC PC133 with a PC&C 510deluxe
    The DVD Drive and the OS drive are using onboard IDE and the other drives are using an add on PCI card.  I dont care that the addon isnt recognized yet, I will add it in later.

After running DOD short wipe on all the drives I attempted to load WHS.  It appears that the drives refuse to be seen by WHS as they are totally blank.  I have tested all of the drives with manufacturer provided diagnostics with no issue.  None are in a state of failure either SMART or otherwise.  Is there some reason that WHS wont recognize a totally wiped drive on initial install or am I missing something specific?
    Tuesday, May 1, 2007 1:24 AM

All replies

• Hello,

have you attempted to install xp or vista or something else on these drives?
    check seagates web site for help, seatools...as DBAN may have messed something up.
    but this is what i would do first, attempt to install WHS on 1 drive the IDE, disconnect the rest.
    then add the other drives in following the WHS instuctions. now the PCI card may or may not work....or add one of these drives to an existing pc running xp or vista to see if it can bee seen.

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/

FYI i attempted to re-install WHS over itself clean, so i attempted to used DBAN,
    it didnt do anything, would not wipe my WHS, the only way to remove the partitions was to start install of vista or (xp) and delete the partitions. Then WHS will act like its a brand new drive.
    WHS installed over itself is a repair...not a clean install.

goodluck.

Wednesday, May 2, 2007 11:22 PM
  • I formatted one of my drives first via XP Pro in an IDE enclosure, not as a method, but only because it was done pre-WHS.....so I did not encounter any issues installing WHS. I also have a Supermicro dual P3 board (DER370+) that I have been trying to get working but got nothing but BSOD's for a few hours when trying to load WHS on it.

Do as suggested and install your blank drive in XP first and then you should be set.

Thursday, May 3, 2007 5:14 AM
  • I had the same problem today using DBAN.  I just loaded up an XP disc and created partitions without formating and then loaded up the WHS disc and everything was okay.  It seems like WHS cannot detect un-partitioned drives.

*edit*

It looks like someone else had a similar situation with un-partitioned drives here:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1529149&SiteID=50

Sunday, May 6, 2007 2:19 AM