Can I have more than one WHS on a network? RRS feed

• Question

• I am considering purchasing another copy of WHS to use for backup on my small network. I already have 10 users on one server. Will there be a problem if I build another server and use it on the same network and subnet?
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 6:23 PM

Answers

• You can use a second server with some limitations:
    Remote access is only possible to one of them.
    From one PC you can only access the console on one of the servers, unless you use Remote Desktop (which is unsupported) or join the PC to different servers using discovery.exe.
    A PC can only connect to one server for backups, also the users can only access shares on their server in the normal configuration.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by dsosb Wednesday, July 8, 2009 7:08 PM
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 6:45 PM

All replies

• You can use a second server with some limitations:
    Remote access is only possible to one of them.
    From one PC you can only access the console on one of the servers, unless you use Remote Desktop (which is unsupported) or join the PC to different servers using discovery.exe.
    A PC can only connect to one server for backups, also the users can only access shares on their server in the normal configuration.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by dsosb Wednesday, July 8, 2009 7:08 PM
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 6:45 PM
  • Thanks very much. I only want it for backup and the users will never be accessing it. So it sounds like it is not a problem. Of course the whole thing would be much easier if Microsoft would just sell extra licenses! Thanks for your help.
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 7:08 PM