Can I add USB hard Drive without formatting? RRS feed

• Question

• I have external hrad drives that already have ton of data. Can I add these to home server with out loosing the Data?

Monday, April 16, 2007 4:58 PM

Answers

• You can connect a drive to WHS without losing the data, but in order for WHS to manage the drive and share the space out, it must format the drive to add it to the storage pool.

The usual way to deal with this is to connect a drive, copy data off of it to the server shares, then when it's empty add it to the pool using the WHS Console. It takes a while, but works.
    Monday, April 16, 2007 5:13 PM

All replies

• You can connect a drive to WHS without losing the data, but in order for WHS to manage the drive and share the space out, it must format the drive to add it to the storage pool.

The usual way to deal with this is to connect a drive, copy data off of it to the server shares, then when it's empty add it to the pool using the WHS Console. It takes a while, but works.
    Monday, April 16, 2007 5:13 PM
  • This works given that the shared drive space is more/enough than the USB drive which is not the case most of the times.

It would be great to have a tool that can migrate existing data, with out formatting.

Thanks

Nanda

Monday, April 16, 2007 5:18 PM
  • Yes, I understand your point. If you have an 80 GB drive as your system (and only drive) there's not a lot you can do to copy 500 GB to WHS, is there? Smile There are several suggestions around this on Connect; browse around and find one (or more) that seems reasonable to you. (Or if you disagree fundamentally with all of them, add your own!) Your votes will help the product team determine which enhancements will get more attention in future versions.
    Monday, April 16, 2007 6:13 PM
  • I have found that adding a drive to your WHS box, and setting it up using Computer Management (Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Disk Management) as normal, and then instead of just giving it a drive letter, also giving it an NTFS folder path, will allow you to share it using WHS, it just wont show up in the storage pool, and it will also notd be able to be duplicated/replicated by WHS.

Basically, you go into Disk Management in Computer Management, (either using a local keyboard, mouse, and monitor attached to your WHS box, or via Remote Desktop, NOT using the WHS Console), and then selecting the drive you want to share, you then right-click on the drive in question, choose "Change Drive Letter and Paths", click "Add", and choose "Mount in the following empty NTFS folder", click Browse, and then go to your D: (DATA) drive, click on the "shares" folder, and then hit the "New Folder" button. Create a new folder in there with a unique name, lets say "Personal Stuff", then hit OK, and then OK again.

Now go into your WHS Console, go to "Shared Folders" and then hit the Add button. Give the new share a name that is EXACTLY the same, (Lower case and capitals must match) as the NTFS mount point that you created for your external drive earlier, and complete the normal steps.

You now have your non-added (in WHS) drive shared via WHS, and access to all your files on that drive available, all without formatting it.

The only downside is that WHS cannot see it as a part of the storage pool, so will report incorrect numbers regarding your storage, but it also means that when your WHS trial expires and the software wont run any more, you cand simply plug your drive into another machine and still have access to all your data.

Hope this helps someone out,
    Cheers,
    Blue_Darpa
    • Proposed as answer by Gyunay Anach Wednesday, May 20, 2009 7:39 PM
    Tuesday, May 15, 2007 8:26 AM
  • Thanks - this thread was very useful.

Mel

Saturday, September 15, 2007 6:50 PM