Compatible wifi devices RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, being aware of the slowness of 54g I'm willing to ignore that issue and move my box upstairs out of the way Big Smile I will need a wireless adaptor though. currently a spare USB stick doesn't seem to install properly so I'm wondering if anyone knows of any that do?

Preferable would actually be a low-profile PCI card (with low-profile frontplate thing) but USB is an OK alternative.  I'm just having difficulty finding one that's compatible with the server 2003 architecture (which I'm guessing from experience doesn't easily compare with VISTA/XP drivers?)

cheers,
    Chris

Thursday, July 19, 2007 10:09 AM

Answers

• Chris

If you plan to put your WHS "Upstairs" where do you plan to put your router?

Why not consider placing the router with the WHS and connect your clients wirelessly.

Also I have not tested this with WHS  and I do not know if it is supported but you can try Ethernet over powerline adapters. Both Linksys and Netgear sell these devices.

I know we are all here to push the limits , however I agree with the others that you should not use wireless.

Monday, July 23, 2007 12:03 AM

All replies

• I ought to point out that a wirelessly connected WHS is not supported, and a search here will give several threads on people having problems.

If you really want to try then the same threads will mention the cards in use .

Gordon

Thursday, July 19, 2007 10:49 AM
  • Thanks for that, I'll take a deeper look into the forums... to be honest I'm less interested in 'not supported' and more about the 'not possible' !

cheers,

Chris

Friday, July 20, 2007 11:53 AM
  •  george@ASDA wrote:

Thanks for that, I'll take a deeper look into the forums... to be honest I'm less interested in 'not supported' and more about the 'not possible' !

cheers,

Chris

As long as your willing to put up with various connectivity issues and failures. YMMV
    Friday, July 20, 2007 6:14 PM
  • George, as SME points out, WiFi is not a reliable way to connect a server to your home network. It's subject to too many different types of interference, which can result in a brief loss of connectivity. Heck, a big dog standing in the wrong spot can make a WiFi connection flaky. Smile
    Saturday, July 21, 2007 3:32 AM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    George, as SME points out, WiFi is not a reliable way to connect a server to your home network. It's subject to too many different types of interference, which can result in a brief loss of connectivity. Heck, a big dog standing in the wrong spot can make a WiFi connection flaky.

WBDS (wireless big dog syndrome), I hate it when that happens...
    Saturday, July 21, 2007 3:56 AM
  • If you really must use wifi to connect your server i suggest using a wireless-ethernet bridge.  Most access points can be configured to do this role.  They are OS independent and therefore WHS will just think its connection is through the ethernet as normal.
    Sunday, July 22, 2007 9:54 PM
  •  almonde wrote:
    If you really must use wifi to connect your server i suggest using a wireless-ethernet bridge. Most access points can be configured to do this role. They are OS independent and therefore WHS will just think its connection is through the ethernet as normal.

That wont help one bit with regards to stability nor would that be any more supported.
    Sunday, July 22, 2007 11:41 PM
  • Chris

If you plan to put your WHS "Upstairs" where do you plan to put your router?

Why not consider placing the router with the WHS and connect your clients wirelessly.

Also I have not tested this with WHS  and I do not know if it is supported but you can try Ethernet over powerline adapters. Both Linksys and Netgear sell these devices.

I know we are all here to push the limits , however I agree with the others that you should not use wireless.

Monday, July 23, 2007 12:03 AM
  •  almonde wrote:
    If you really must use wifi to connect your server i suggest using a wireless-ethernet bridge. Most access points can be configured to do this role. They are OS independent and therefore WHS will just think its connection is through the ethernet as normal.

Good suggest.

Not everyone have the same wireless hardware, setup and interface problems.

Here, our laptops doing well, in fact, I have dvd server (based on xlobby software), all dvd's store as iso or ts folder, 3 to 4 laptops playing video at once, downloading files and a like, internet issue, you name it, without any problems at all.

It mainly depended on your interface problem, if it not, wireless can be happy work to be.

My best.
    Monday, July 23, 2007 12:10 AM
  • Thanks for all the responses so far..

I wouldn't be keen on moving the router upstairs for the same reason I wasn't wanting to trail cat5 downstairs.. there's the cable wire I'd have to lengthen.  I'll give the wireless a go (if I can at all, it's a zd1211b based usb dongle which seems to be one of the most supported, yet I'm having issues just getting the drivers to load), otherwise probably plump for the homeplug networking option.

Monday, July 23, 2007 8:38 AM
  • George, for WHS you'll need Windows Server 2003 drivers, for best stability. I'd be surprised if you find them for any USB dongle...
    Monday, July 23, 2007 11:32 AM