Not Genuine Office 2003 Professional RRS feed

• Question

• I have a problem with the not genuine message regarding my Office 2003 Professional.  I phoned MS customer service, they verified that it is
    a valid retail edition and not volume edition.  They advised me to have a tech help remove the message there would be a fee of  $ 49.99.  I went to the free
    do it yourself chat for 15 minutes to help remove it and each time they wanted me to download a software from a website that caused my Explorer to close and  lose the chat.  Finially got a new rep and he had me try a different site.  Well I got there and it did not work either.  He then 
    went into my computer remotely and advised for a 3 month subscription of  $ 79.99 he could repair the problem.  I did not go for it.  Then it went
    to 34.99 to fix the problem today.  Needless to say, it apears this is a way to make a few dollars off of the older version of windows.
    Anyone else have an issue like mine?

Thursday, October 29, 2009 8:08 PM

Answers

• Hello mike251,

How did the Customer Service verify your Office? 

Did they have you read off the Product Key that came with your copy of Office

or 

Did they have you run a Diagnostic Report to see what Office is actually installed on the PC?

For people that Own a Genuine copy of Office, the most common reason for the Office installed on thier computer to come up as Non-Genuine is because a Non-Genuine Copy was installed instead of your Genuine one.  This usually occures when you have the computer repaired, the repair guy may have needed to reinstall Office to fix a problem, but instead of contacting you, to get the proper Product Key and software, he/she just downloaded it off the internet. Of a friend (or that smart kid down the street) thought they were doing you a favor by upgrading office to a higher version "for Free" (they may not have even known what they were doing was wrong).

If your Office is notifing you that it's Non-Genuine, download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool (MGADiag.exe) at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue", click the "Copy" button then “Paste” the report into a reply message in this thread.

This will tell us the validation status of the copy of Office actually installed on the computer.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, November 3, 2009 10:32 PM
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 9:34 PM

All replies

• Hello mike251,

How did the Customer Service verify your Office? 

Did they have you read off the Product Key that came with your copy of Office

or 

Did they have you run a Diagnostic Report to see what Office is actually installed on the PC?

For people that Own a Genuine copy of Office, the most common reason for the Office installed on thier computer to come up as Non-Genuine is because a Non-Genuine Copy was installed instead of your Genuine one.  This usually occures when you have the computer repaired, the repair guy may have needed to reinstall Office to fix a problem, but instead of contacting you, to get the proper Product Key and software, he/she just downloaded it off the internet. Of a friend (or that smart kid down the street) thought they were doing you a favor by upgrading office to a higher version "for Free" (they may not have even known what they were doing was wrong).

If your Office is notifing you that it's Non-Genuine, download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool (MGADiag.exe) at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue", click the "Copy" button then “Paste” the report into a reply message in this thread.

This will tell us the validation status of the copy of Office actually installed on the computer.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, November 3, 2009 10:32 PM
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 9:34 PM
  • No reply from original poster.

Question is assumed answered.

Darin MS
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 10:32 PM