Win 7 Ultimate Key Reactivation RRS feed

• Question

• I have the above.

I had a crash and my computer guy reinstalled it.

My upgrade key wont reactvate and has asked me to reinstall Proffesional as it is an upgrade key.

WHY I own it and do not want to buy another key that means I will have three keys!

• Edited by Igerard Tuesday, May 15, 2012 12:28 PM
    Tuesday, May 15, 2012 12:27 PM

Answers

• Upgrade Setup requires a previous copy of Windows.  It doesn't matter whether it is XP, Vista, or Windows 7.  An upgrade is not an update.  Updates do not require their own product keys.  An upgrade does.  Even if you upgrade an edition of Windows to itself, as in a repair-in-place upgrade using an upgrade key, a copy of Windows still needs to be on the computer.

You can try phone activation. 

Activate by phone.  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc736912(WS.10).aspx

Or Click Start and type "slui.exe 4".

Do not respond to any of the automated prompts until the system asks if you want to talk to a live agent.  Do so and answer the agent's questions.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 1:54 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• A Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade product key can only be used to activate a Windows 7 Ultimate installation that resulted from upgrading from a qualifying Windows XP or Vista operating system.  Otherwise, you'll need a "Full Version" Windows 7 Ultimate product key.

Carey Frisch

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 12:53 PM
  • I had previously had Win 7 Profesional, originally,and upgraded to Ultimate.

This key is Win 7 Ultimate upgrade and NOT a previous version of Windows.

I understand if it is Xp or Vista  Yes then its a total upgrade.

This is merely an update and should be treated as such.

Gerard J. McCormack
    Tuesday, May 15, 2012 1:08 PM
  • Upgrade Setup requires a previous copy of Windows.  It doesn't matter whether it is XP, Vista, or Windows 7.  An upgrade is not an update.  Updates do not require their own product keys.  An upgrade does.  Even if you upgrade an edition of Windows to itself, as in a repair-in-place upgrade using an upgrade key, a copy of Windows still needs to be on the computer.

You can try phone activation. 

Activate by phone.  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc736912(WS.10).aspx

Or Click Start and type "slui.exe 4".

Do not respond to any of the automated prompts until the system asks if you want to talk to a live agent.  Do so and answer the agent's questions.

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 1:54 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks I used the phone activation and IT WORKED !

Thanks again!!

G

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 6:10 PM
  • You're welcome. 

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 8:17 PM
    Answerer