none
Windows live sign in problem for Microsoft Money 7 RRS feed

• Question

• keep getting message email address or password is incorrect; changed live password and still doesnt work.  cant access under file any password manager; also will not allow me to sign in without access to online services.  Using Vista...
    Friday, November 19, 2010 5:16 PM

Answers

• I have been unable to sign in to money 7 with live id for 2 days. Once I removed using the windows live id from the money password manager, I was then able to connect to my bank again.
    • Proposed as answer by SteveDa Friday, November 19, 2010 6:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by Cal LearnerModerator Tuesday, November 23, 2010 4:46 PM
    Friday, November 19, 2010 6:04 PM

All replies

• I have been unable to sign in to money 7 with live id for 2 days. Once I removed using the windows live id from the money password manager, I was then able to connect to my bank again.
    • Proposed as answer by SteveDa Friday, November 19, 2010 6:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by Cal LearnerModerator Tuesday, November 23, 2010 4:46 PM
    Friday, November 19, 2010 6:04 PM
  • Can you explain what Money 7 is please? Money has alwyas been a year numer - Money 99, Money 2002, Money 2005......so what is Money 7?

It will then help folks here to assist.

Jim

Friday, November 19, 2010 10:05 PM
  • Yes, I'm also having some strange things with sign-in.  I played around with it a little.  My default browser is FireFox.  I logged into Live via that browser with sucess.  I then tried Money and it failed.  I then tried the same with IE8.  Once again I was successful in logging into Live via the browser.  So, while logged in via IE8, I started Money and it was successful.  There is some strange cookie or firewall thing going on.

Tom

Friday, November 19, 2010 10:07 PM
  • money2007   sorry....again cant get to place where you can use the password manager...tried to set  dont go online but that didnt work either....need to get all my info off of this file
    Friday, November 19, 2010 10:14 PM
  • Same issue here as well.  Duration has been three days with inability to sign into Money 2007 using my Windows Live ID.  I can sign into my Live ID account normally outside of Money using the same username and password that Money is trying to use.   

I've ruled out any corruption in the MNY file or the program itself by verifying the same problem on three different laptops on which I have Money installed (two running Windows 7 and one running XP) and by loading a six month old MNY file.  All combinations experience the same error with the Windows Live ID sign on.  

Tweeking firewall, phishing filter, anti-virus settings, etc has no effect.  With the same problem on three PCs running two different operating systems its pretty clear its nothing like that anyway. Presently unable to download transaction from any of my financial institutions because of this problem.

Microsoft, what's going on with the sudden failure of MM being able to connect using Live ID?

Saturday, November 20, 2010 1:07 PM
  • This solution doesn't work for me.   Money still indicates Live ID sign in is unsuccessful even through I'm already logged on to the Live ID site via IE 8.  Can you advise what the address is in your browser when you are able to succeed with this work around and is it continuing to work for you?

Tim Hedrick "If at first you do not succeed, destroy all evidence of the attempt"
    Saturday, November 20, 2010 1:19 PM
  • money2007   sorry....again cant get to place where you can use the password manager...tried to set  dont go online but that didnt work either....need to get all my info off of this file

That place would be File->PasswordManager.

I am sorry to hear that you changed your LiveID password. That may complicate things. If you cannot sign in offline, I suggest you try your old password, or put your LiveID password back as it was.

Keep an extra copy of your recent backup files. One of those may be important in getting access to your data.

Saturday, November 20, 2010 4:48 PM
  • I think this all has something to do with Windows Live switching to "BUNDLE". I am trying to figure it all out now but I will see what happens.
    Saturday, November 20, 2010 5:56 PM
  • I am having this problem over the last couple of days too.  It happened one other time serveral months ago for several days but cleared up after several days.  This is quite annoying as I cannot auto-update my accounts.
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 12:47 AM
  • I suspect the switch to "BUNDLE" from Windows Live ID which is mentioned above is the likely culprit.  It is definitely nothing on the user end.

FYI I resolved (sort of, I guess circumvented is more accurate) the problem by removing my Live ID account from association with my MNY account and then my accounts downloaded normally after that.  You can do this by clicking FILE then PASSWORD MANAGER and then selecting the option to dissassociate your Live ID account from your Money account.  I was able to download all my bank and credit card accounts normally after that.    

Tim Hedrick "If at first you do not succeed, destroy all evidence of the attempt"
    • Proposed as answer by Bill Bott Sunday, November 21, 2010 8:31 PM
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 1:43 AM

That place would be File->PasswordManager.

I am sorry to hear that you changed your LiveID password. That may complicate things. If you cannot sign in offline, I suggest you try your old password, or put your LiveID password back as it was.

Keep an extra copy of your recent backup files. One of those may be important in getting access to your data.

First time I've joined a forum.  Desperate times call for desperate measures.  I have had a similar experience with not being able to sign in.  Two days ago I could intermittently sign in offline.  Why just intermittently?  I have changed my Live ID password several time, complicating things (as mentioned).  Now I cannot access files on-line or off.

I do have sevel backup copies, but am unable to restore them.

Sunday, November 21, 2010 6:09 PM
  • Thank you, Tim Hedrick!  This solution resolves the silliness of having to use the Live login to update accounts from financial institutions.
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 6:58 PM
  • Worked for me. Thank you so much.
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 8:31 PM
  • I am also new to the forum and have same problem being locked out of account downloads.  I have tried to find the particular place where you start the the sequence: "clicking FILE then PASSWORD MANAGER and then selecting the option to dissassociate your Live ID account from your Money account".

I have not been able to find anywhere I can access the Password Manager.  My internet provider is MSN and I may be trying to access the Password Manager through the MSN homepage, but I also could not find the Password Manager through signing directly into IE8.  Can you please elaborate.  Thanks.

Monday, November 22, 2010 2:21 PM
  • Thanks so much Tim, 

I have had the same issues everyone here is having, removing the Live ID from my Money account did exactly what I needed. 

All of the updates from my banks now work and it seems to go a good bit faster now too.

Monday, November 22, 2010 2:52 PM
  • This solution worked for me TED... Many thanks

Chuck

Monday, November 22, 2010 2:55 PM
  • I am also new to the forum and have same problem being locked out of account downloads.  I have tried to find the particular place where you start the the sequence: "clicking FILE then PASSWORD MANAGER and then selecting the option to dissassociate your Live ID account from your Money account".

I have not been able to find anywhere I can access the Password Manager.  My internet provider is MSN and I may be trying to access the Password Manager through the MSN homepage, but I also could not find the Password Manager through signing directly into IE8.  Can you please elaborate.  Thanks.

Start the sequence within Microsoft Money. Then File->PasswordManager.
    Monday, November 22, 2010 3:06 PM

Redalfa2 - Sorry, I should have been clearer in my instructions.  You are doing this from within the Microsoft Money program not from within any website (like MSN).  Start Microsoft Money, get passed the live ID logon screen by either entering your live ID/passport info or by indicating that you want to work with your Money file offline.  Once you have your main Money Home Screen visible, click on FILE up in the very top left corner of your screen, then click on PASSWORD MANAGER in the drop down menu that appears, then select the option to dissassociate your Live ID account from your MNY file.  After that you should be able to download transactions normally after that again from your financial institutions. 

Just FYI, I think this will initially leave your MNY file unencrypted and unpassword protected after you do this.  I think you can follow the same steps later to add a password (not LIVE ID associated) to protect the file again.  I have not yet done this myself.

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 12:19 AM
  • Thanks Tim.   I disconnected Money from my MS Live ID and I've been able to get bank updates.   
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 12:37 AM
  • Thanks to everyone.  I have deleted the Live ID association and now the downloads work again.  I also created a new Microsoft Money password from within M Money and I'm back on track.
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 12:39 PM
  • I had the same problem and this solution worked for me.  Thanks SteveDa.

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 3:09 PM
  • Tim, sounds like your solution has worked for some but I can't get passed the sign in page.  It won't accept my live sign in and when I click to work offline, it still ask for a password, or more exact, it tells me I can't leave the password block blank.  When I click on "file" my choses are:  New/ Open/ restore/convert quicken file of which none works.  There are several post about this problem so there must be an issue with MS servers.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 12:17 AM
  • Yes - I have the same issue.  I can not even enter the data file (and hence, can not get to the password reset screen) b/c Money will not even open my data file.

I check the box "I want to sign into Money direct...", no luck - still receive the error that 'email or pw is incorrect'.

I tried copying the data file - still problems - same error.

I tried changing the password (resetting it) in Win Live - same problem even though I can log into win live.

I tried using an alternative email account as the login for my windows live signin in MS$ - doesn't recognize

I can't even open the Money file - at all

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 3:52 AM
  • I had the same issue and Tim's solution worked, so thanks! ts66, I also changed my Live password, but found when I check the box to sign in into money offline (or whatever it says) I had to use my original password, not the new one. Hope this helps.

And really, why cant we get some MS acknowledgment of the problem?

• Proposed as answer by Andrés S Wednesday, November 24, 2010 6:58 PM
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 5:58 PM
  • I had the same issue and Tim's solution worked, so thanks! ts66, I also changed my Live password, but found when I check the box to sign in into money offline (or whatever it says) I had to use my original password, not the new one. Hope this helps.

And really, why cant we get some MS acknowledgment of the problem?

I was unable to logon because I did change my live password since last time I opened the file.  Anyways, I couldn't logon using the "offline" feature because I was typing the wrong "old" password, so make sure you do type the right "old" password, or try all you can remember.

The Live password was being stored on the money file for offline use.   Anyways, I'm getting rid of the Live connection right now!

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 7:00 PM
  • Thanks for the tip. Once I removed the Windows Live ID via Password Manager, I could connect to my banks and financial institutions again.  I experienced this problem earlier this year, but I was not aware of using the Password manager. I ended up restoring an older Money file to resolve the issue.
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 9:42 PM
  • I had been out for a week now and received zippy support from microsoft. (even though I've been a user for 15 years)...anyway Tim's solution ALSO worked for me so thanks ALOT..that is definitely a life saver since everything updates from Money for me and the family.

Separate question.

Since Money will be discontinued as of Jan 30 2011.  Has anyone looked at other tools out there to use and have a suggestion.  I want to look at Quicken or Mint.com but would appreciate feedback

thanks

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 9:59 PM
  • Tim, sounds like your solution has worked for some but I can't get passed the sign in page.  It won't accept my live sign in and when I click to work offline, it still ask for a password, or more exact, it tells me I can't leave the password block blank.  When I click on "file" my choses are:  New/ Open/ restore/convert quicken file of which none works.  There are several post about this problem so there must be an issue with MS servers.

Did you possibly reset or change your Windows Live ID password online while you were trying to resolve this?   You definitely need to get the file open before you can use this solution to resolve the problem and this is the only thing I can think of that would prevent you from being able to open the data file offline to work with it and to remove the Live ID association.

If you did alter your Live ID password outside of Money the only solution I can think of would be to change it back to your old password and then try and sign in and work with the file offline.  You could also try and restore an old backup file and work from there but you will still have to change your Live ID back to whatever it was originally in order to get into the file to remove the association.

Friday, November 26, 2010 1:38 PM
  • I had been out for a week now and received zippy support from microsoft. (even though I've been a user for 15 years)...anyway Tim's solution ALSO worked for me so thanks ALOT..that is definitely a life saver since everything updates from Money for me and the family.

Separate question.

Since Money will be discontinued as of Jan 30 2011.  Has anyone looked at other tools out there to use and have a suggestion.  I want to look at Quicken or Mint.com but would appreciate feedback

thanks

I purchased Quicken about a year ago and tried to use their Money import/conversion tool to transfer my ten years of Money data into it, however, the results were pretty unimpressive.   A lot of the balances were out of whack, stock purchases/sales didn't carry over, etc etc.  All in all, I thought it was a dismal failure and I abandoned it, got a refund from Quicken, and kept on using Money.

In the year that has passed, I'm hoping Quicken has anticipated that a bunch of MM users will need to jump ship in January and have improved the performance of that conversion tool, however, I don't know if thats the case or not.

I also found something online about something called Money Dance or Moneydance that is supposed to be compatible with MM files.  I looked at it online though and it looked kind of rudimentary to me.  I think it may also only run on Linux Ubuntu.  I have one laptop running Ubuntu rather than windows but I don't know if I want to go down that road. 

I'll probably end up going to Quicken but I'm waiting to see what happens at the end of January and exactly what services become unavailable.  I'm nut sure why direct imports from banks and credit cards would be impacted but I suspect stock prices and the like may be.  The whole Microsoft abandonment of Money has left a very bad taste in my mouth after using and upgrading it for over ten years. 

Friday, November 26, 2010 1:49 PM
  • Taking the Live Id password off worked to get in to My Money.  I'm trying to restore a file and it still asks for a id and pw?  My Live info has changed several times, is there anyway to restore a file without knowing the Live id and pw that was used at the time?
    Friday, November 26, 2010 7:18 PM
  • Taking the Live Id password off worked to get in to My Money.  I'm trying to restore a file and it still asks for a id and pw?  My Live info has changed several times, is there anyway to restore a file without knowing the Live id and pw that was used at the time?

No, not to my knowledge.  I found this hack program online but I think it refers to MNY files that are strictly password protected by the program itself and not files protected by a Live ID account association:

http://www.brothersoft.com/money-password-53121.html

I am by no means vouching for this in any way but, it looks like it has a demo version that might be worth playing with just to see what results.  I would suspect, however, that unless you can recall the id and password associated with the archives they are probably not recoverable.

Friday, November 26, 2010 7:49 PM
  • Just as a follow up to this and my prior post regarding alternatives to Money and my experience trying to convert to Quicken a year ago.  I broke down and went ahead and downloaded Quicken 2011 Home and Business again.  The Microsoft Money to Quicken conversion worked much much (much) better this time.  It is now built into Quicken rather than being a separate utility that you download.  It converted 10 years of banking, credit card, investment transactions, with no errors at all this time.  It also converted all my recurring payments, my loans, etc with no issues whatsoever. 

The only thing I had to deal with was reestablishing online services for each account since all the passwords obviously don't migrate over between the two programs.  It was a much better experience this time and Quicken has obviously gotten their act together over the last year in anticipation of a lot of people wanting (or needing I should say) to migrate over from Money.  I swear I don't work for Quicken.  I loved Money.

Saturday, November 27, 2010 12:10 AM
  •  I was able to start the file by not useing the first sign in button.  This worked great.  I have tried for days to resolve this mess.  THANK YOU!!!
    Saturday, November 27, 2010 10:07 PM
  • I tried creating a new money account and set up with live ID to see if there was any information to be gained from that exercise. My error message was Windows LIve ID could not be verified and that was it for the error message. Microsoft and it's great error messages.
    Monday, November 29, 2010 2:47 AM
  • I tried creating a new money account and set up with live ID to see if there was any information to be gained from that exercise. My error message was Windows LIve ID could not be verified and that was it for the error message. Microsoft and it's great error messages.
    Monday, November 29, 2010 2:48 AM
  • Tim - thanks much!! It is totally assenine to have to do that, but I would have done it years ago if I knew it was possible.

Cheers!

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 3:43 AM
  • Tim:

Appreciate you taking timme to post your fix and Quicken findings.

I've disassociated my live ID from the MM account per your instructions but am unable to sync with my bank to download transaction detail. 

When I attempt the "Update now" function from the left hand nav, I'm presented the "Update Online Information" dialog box as expected, but in the "Account Transaction" detail window, and presented an error that states "Online account updates aren't avaiable, because you are not signed in with your windows live ID.  I can clearly see that my bank password is not the same as my Live ID within this dialog box but it appears my bank login/password innfo is not being passed along since I'm not logged in with a live ID.  Any thoughts on best way to move forward?

Cheers!

-mark

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 4:53 AM
  • I was facing the same issue, followed these same instructions, but still cannot sync with my bank (Chase).

After dissasociating my Money account from a live ID account from within the open Money file, I attempted an account update.  When I use the "Update now" function from the left hand nav, I'm presented the "Update Online Information" dialog box as expected, but in the "Account Transaction" detail window, am presented an error that states "Online account updates aren't avaiable, because you are not signed in with your windows live ID.  I can clearly see that my bank password is not the same as my Live ID within this dialog box but it appears my bank login/password innfo is not being passed along since I'm not logged in with a live ID. 

I can, however, access my bank account info via browser directly just fine.

Any thoughts on best way to move forward?

Tx.

-Mark

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 5:15 AM
  • I was facing the same issue, followed these same instructions, but still cannot sync with my bank (Chase).

After dissasociating my Money account from a live ID account from within the open Money file, I attempted an account update.  When I use the "Update now" function from the left hand nav, I'm presented the "Update Online Information" dialog box as expected, but in the "Account Transaction" detail window, am presented an error that states "Online account updates aren't avaiable, because you are not signed in with your windows live ID.  I can clearly see that my bank password is not the same as my Live ID within this dialog box but it appears my bank login/password innfo is not being passed along since I'm not logged in with a live ID. 

I can, however, access my bank account info via browser directly just fine.

Any thoughts on best way to move forward?

Tx.

-Mark

What is the date of the latest Chase bank transaction that you had successfully downloaded? I wonder if you had been getting the transactions via Yodlee via MSN. I think that is it.

I would disable my Chase account for online access in Money, and then maybe set the account up for online access again . This would probably cause Chase to charge you. In fact, looking at http://demo.chase.com/presents/preview/downloadactivity_alt.htm I suspect it will be $10-- unless you could get Chase to forego the charges for you if you are a most favored customer... If you don't want to pay the $10 per month (I wouldn't), then I suggest downloading an OFX file via their website " Download Now (no charge) ".

I infer that Quicken would offer to screen-scrape for you as Money used to do, if you wanted to go that route.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 5:47 AM
  • My latest bank statement download is Nov. 15, 2010.  Was this after the Yodlee service was discontinued?
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 2:24 PM
  • Tim:

Appreciate you taking timme to post your fix and Quicken findings.

I've disassociated my live ID from the MM account per your instructions but am unable to sync with my bank to download transaction detail. 

When I attempt the "Update now" function from the left hand nav, I'm presented the "Update Online Information" dialog box as expected, but in the "Account Transaction" detail window, and presented an error that states "Online account updates aren't avaiable, because you are not signed in with your windows live ID.  I can clearly see that my bank password is not the same as my Live ID within this dialog box but it appears my bank login/password innfo is not being passed along since I'm not logged in with a live ID.  Any thoughts on best way to move forward?

Cheers!

-mark

I'm afraid not.  There is no reason you should any difficulty downloading directly from your bank once your money account is no longer associated with your Live ID/Windows Passport account and I don't understand why you would be encountering this.  Anybody else have any idea? 

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 4:22 PM
  •  Removing the Live ID from my Money account did exactly what I needed!!!! Ugh....why it took me a week to read this.
    Friday, December 3, 2010 2:20 AM
  • Where do you find the money password manager?
    Monday, December 6, 2010 2:26 AM
  • Where do you find the money password manager?

In Microsoft Money:  File->PasswordManager.
    Monday, December 6, 2010 3:35 AM
  • Are there instructions for those of us who can't get past the initial sign in screen? I've tried checking to sign in directly - I've actually tried every permutation I can think of. I have not changed my password, and it is correct.

Will we need sign in information to import into the newer version of Quicken?

Thanks!

Tuesday, December 7, 2010 4:21 PM
  • Are there instructions for those of us who can't get past the initial sign in screen? I've tried checking to sign in directly - I've actually tried every permutation I can think of. I have not changed my password, and it is correct.

Will we need sign in information to import into the newer version of Quicken?

Thanks!

Based on the thread that you are posting in, I presume that you remember using a Live ID (an email address plus a password) to access your Money file before. Continue to not try to change the Live ID or Password to a different one.

Disconnect from the internet, and log in offline. Once successfullyinto your file, then File->PasswordManager and remove your Live ID.

I don't know how well the Quicken converter would handle the connectivity situation, but I know you would have to provide your login credentials for it to succeed. 

Tuesday, December 7, 2010 4:36 PM
  • I tried offline, to no avail. Now it's telling me that I'm using a earlier version than that in which the file was saved, which may be true. To complicate things, this is a new computer, and I'm using the 2007 disk without updates. Any ideas. I have over ten years of data in these files. Starting to feel a bit panicky!

It says I'm using version 16.0.120.1303

• Edited by mebanese Tuesday, December 7, 2010 5:13 PM more details
    Tuesday, December 7, 2010 5:09 PM
  • I tried offline, to no avail. Now it's telling me that I'm using a earlier version than that in which the file was saved, which may be true. To complicate things, this is a new computer, and I'm using the 2007 disk without updates. Any ideas. I have over ten years of data in these files. Starting to feel a bit panicky!

That is very different from a "Windows live sign in problem". If you are getting that "earlier version" error from Money 2007, then that would mean that your file was made by Microsoft Money Plus.

I suggest you download  and install Microsoft Money Plus Deluxe Sunset . See http://www.microsoft.com/money/sunset.mspx File->Open your *.mny file with that.

After that, you can continue to use Microsoft Money Plus, perhaps with the help of the PocketSense scripts to get quotes or to read statements from many financial institutions. You can also use that installation to enable the Quicken converter to work.

Tuesday, December 7, 2010 5:21 PM
  • You are my new best friend. Actually, I did have the Windows live sign in problem first, but going offline solved that. And now I've installed the Sunset program, and - hallelujah - I am IN. And I'm currently exporting the data to Quicken.

A big ten year's worth of financial data thank you's!!

Tuesday, December 7, 2010 5:29 PM
  • I too am having much difficulty.  I have tried to down load the "New" microsoft sunset program microsoft money plus... however, it is not letting me access any of my backup files.  I know that I have not changed any information, and realize now that I am not insane.  I cannot ever get into the program to turn off the live ID.  Have tried everything from reinstalling 2007 and now instaling money plus - to no avail. please help.  I have aready purchased Quicken 2011 and installed it but not sure if I am going to be able to get the ";locked" information from money file.
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 1:45 AM
  • I finally got it after trying all day.  I didn't do anything different except try it again and again on line then off.  Need to download the insights and then run everything through there.  WIll no migrate eveything over to Quicken.  THe check printing is probably going to be the hardest to get setup now. 
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 2:04 AM
  • Thanks TIm!!!!  Worked for me too!!!!
    Friday, December 10, 2010 11:21 PM
  • I am unable to get beyond the sign-in screen.  Any suggestions> I can't get to my money file with or without online support.
    Monday, January 10, 2011 5:01 PM
  • I' want to try to do this. Where do I go on Windows Live to do this?  Until I can open my Money7 file, all other suggestions won't work.
    Monday, January 10, 2011 5:07 PM
  • I am unable to get beyond the sign-in screen.  Any suggestions> I can't get to my money file with or without online support.

Is this your first post here, or did you post with a different ID earlier? Since you posted on this thread, I assume you have seen the suggested actions including disconnecting from the Internet. What do you do, and what happens -- such as what was your error message? What program are you using.
    Monday, January 10, 2011 5:10 PM
  • I' want to try to do this. Where do I go on Windows Live to do this?  Until I can open my Money7 file, all other suggestions won't work.

Let's assume that you mean Money 2007.

Do not go to the Windows Live site for this.  Do not attempt to
    change your LiveID.

Disconnect from the Internet (pull the ethernet cable , turn off
    the router, or turn off your WiFi, for example).

Open Money, and sign in with the credentials in use when you saved
    the Money file.  Once you have accessed the file, remove the LiveID
    using File->PasswordManager.

If you still cannot get into your file, consider file repair, or
    restoring your newest or second-newest backup.  I suggest that you
    not restore to the "default location" but rather Browse to your
    Documents's folder and choose a new name

Monday, January 10, 2011 6:30 PM
  • Cal -

I can't restore backup. This all started when I uninstalled Money 2007 Deluxe and installed Sunset Plus. My password wasn't recognized, so I changed my LiveID several times until I could open the program, but then I couldn't restore my backup file, even using the old password. I've since uninstalled Sunset and re-installed 2007, and I have used the password manager so that I can open the program without a password, but when I try to restore my backup (created 01/02/11, just before the Sunset "update"), I still get a wrong password message. I understand that I need to use the password which was in-use at the time the backup file was created, but it's not being recognized. Any thoughts?

• Proposed as answer by kmhues Thursday, January 13, 2011 6:05 PM
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 3:59 AM
  • I have spent hours on this issue as well. I uninstalled Money 2007 and reinstalled it and still couldn't restore my backup file. FINALLY, I found an answer. Have you tried locating the backup file you want to restore on your hard drive and opening it from there? (Do not go through your quick launch icon.) You will be prompted for you password that was in use at the time the file was created. I was able to access my account this way and then disable the Windows Live password. Life is good again. Now I will download Quicken and transfer everything over. Good Luck!
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 6:11 PM
  • I, too, appreciate all who contributed to this forum.  Money 2007 worked fine for me last week - but this morning I was unable to get past the sign-in screen.  It kept saying my password was not valid - same one my computer remembers for me and I have been using for a LONG time (I know, my bad).  I tried clicking the "work offline" box, but that apparently does no good without a password.

So, after reading all the suggestions here, I am heading home from my office to try several suggestions.  I did (unfortunately) go through the Windows Live link (I was directed there from my MSN Money help box - don't tend to question those who made the program - probably another 'my bad' moment) and did change my password, which did nothing to help me enter. 

I will first go BACK and change to my old password, then see if that works;

I will then TOTALLY disconnect my computer from the internet (unplugging the router should work) and try using the "work offline" method.

I will then go back into my last backup (is last week far enough back) and open using the execute command, provided I find it.

After this, I will pour a large glass of wine, put my feet up and chug the content.  Then I will get a good nights sleep and check in with you guys tomorrow morning.  Maybe Saturday will be a better day!

Saturday, January 15, 2011 1:53 AM
  • I am also having the same problem as everyone else. I cannot even get into my money file to click on file, then password manager. My live id won't even let me sign into my money file. Help!
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 10:50 PM
  • This is exactly my problem....have you gotten in?
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 10:53 PM
  • I am also having the same problem as everyone else. I cannot even get into my money file to click on file, then password manager. My live id won't even let me sign into my money file. Help!

I hope you remember the LiveID that was in effect when you were last into your file.

See http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/money/thread/c2fe2b16-65cf-460a-9423-7e6464228730

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 11:02 PM
  • - Dear Cal,

I have the same issue "E-mail address or Password incorrect", when trying to access my Money-file in Microsoft Money Plus Deluxe.

I read through many topics on just as many forums, but I'm really in despair over losing years of data.

I've tried logging in being offline, and many other possible solutions. Have never changed my LiveID-credentials..

I sincerely hope you can help me out.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011 7:18 PM
  • I have the same issue "E-mail address or Password incorrect", when trying to access my Money-file in Microsoft Money Plus Deluxe.

I read through many topics on just as many forums, but I'm really in despair over losing years of data.

I've tried logging in being offline, and many other possible solutions. Have never changed my LiveID-credentials..

I sincerely hope you can help me out.

Good work not changing your credentials at this point.

Disconnect your computer from the internet by turning off your router, pulling the ethernet cable, or whatever it takes. Open Money, and sign in offline. Once in, remove your Live ID from your Money file.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011 7:34 PM
  • Good work not changing your credentials at this point.

Disconnect your computer from the internet by turning off your router, pulling the ethernet cable, or whatever it takes. Open Money, and sign in offline. Once in, remove your Live ID from your Money file.

Appreciate your quick reply.

I already tried that; but it still gives me the same message. If I click 'Next' it asks me to connect to Internet and if I check the "Sign in without online services"-box it keeps saying my e-mail/password is incorrect. 

Wednesday, February 2, 2011 7:44 PM
  • I already tried that; but it still gives me the same message. If I click 'Next' it asks me to connect to Internet and if I check the "Sign in without online services"-box it keeps saying my e-mail/password is incorrect. 

And you have changed neither the email address part nor the password part.

You could try restoring your newest or second-newest backup while disconnected from the Internet. Rather than  restoring to the name that comes up in the box, Browse to your documents folder, and choose a new name. That way you will not overwrite your existing *.mny file in case some other solution develops later.

You could try installing Money Plus Deluxe Sunset onto a different computer, and see if that installation works any better.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011 8:23 PM
  • And you have changed neither the email address part nor the password part.

You could try restoring your newest or second-newest backup while disconnected from the Internet. Rather than  restoring to the name that comes up in the box, Browse to your documents folder, and choose a new name. That way you will not overwrite your existing *.mny file in case some other solution develops later.

You could try installing Money Plus Deluxe Sunset onto a different computer, and see if that installation works any better.

No, really didn't change the credentials.

I'm not sure if I understand your solution about restoring my (second) newest back-up, but I will try anyway. I did install Sunset on my (same) system, but this doesn't work. I think it keeps reminding some info from the register or something. So I could eventually try installing Sunset on a different system.

I was thinking; if I would send you my back-up file (and all info/credentials you need), could you perhaps clear the password from your side? I know I ask a lot, but like I said... in despair!

Wednesday, February 2, 2011 8:44 PM
  • And you have changed neither the email address part nor the password part.

No, really didn't change the credentials.

I'm not sure if I understand your solution about restoring my (second) newest back-up, but I will try anyway. I did install Sunset on my (same) system, but this doesn't work. I think it keeps reminding some info from the register or something. So I could eventually try installing Sunset on a different system.

I was thinking; if I would send you my back-up file (and all info/credentials you need), could you perhaps clear the password from your side? I know I ask a lot, but like I said... in despair!

Understand that I, and everybody else posting in this forum as far as I know, does not work for Microsoft. I have no special tools to deal with a password problem.
    Wednesday, February 2, 2011 9:30 PM
  •  

Understand that I, and everybody else posting in this forum as far as I know, does not work for Microsoft. I have no special tools to deal with a password problem.
    I do understand that, and I know you don't have any tools. But obviously your knowledge about this subject (and possible solutions) is much bigger than mine. So I thought perhaps you would give it a shot, since I seem to struggle finding the right method to solve this. I was triggered by the enthusiastic reactions of other people in this thread... It is really that vital to me, I'd even be glad to pay you for it, would you be able to help me out. :-(
    Wednesday, February 2, 2011 9:40 PM
  • The enthusiastic responses are a result of the users stumbling on the successful password themselves.  The file can't be opened until that happens, and only you know (or should know) what the password is.
    Wednesday, February 2, 2011 10:18 PM
  • Thursday, February 3, 2011 7:14 AM
  • I'm a little late to the party here, but wanted to tell you about my experiences today.  As some history, my hard drive was getting ready to crash, so Dell sent me a new one.  I replaced the drive, after backing everything up, but then, of course, had to re-install ALL the programs, so that I could restore all the files from the backup.  Now comes today, and today was the day for me to reinstall Microsoft Money 2007 Plus.  The install went just fine, until Money decided that I needed to sign into Money to even open the program.  And this is despite the fact that Microsoft no longer sells Money, supports Money, has online Money services, or anything else.  (Understand that I must wonder why we would still need to sign into Money to use it when this is the case!)  Like everyone else here, my Windows Live ID wouldn't work, no matter how many times I tried.   So, like everyone else here, I changed my Windows Live ID password.  Still did not work.  I tried every combination of any e-mail address I had ever had, with every password I had ever used, old, new, and anywhere in between.  Still no joy!  I tried my Hotmail account log in info.  I rebooted the computer.  I went online.  I went offline.  I clicked "I want to sign into Money directly, without access to online services."  I unclicked it.  I clicked Save Password.  I unclicked it.  All to no avail.  Finallly, this evening, after wanting to just throw the computer out the window, and e-mail Microsoft about the ridiculous log in requirement (in not very nice terms), just for fun, I tried my Microsoft Passport user name and password.  Lo and behold, I was IN!  Thinking that I had tamed the wild beast, I went to restore my most recent backup from CD.  And, guess what?  Yup, you're RIGHT!  You win the prize!  Needed user name and password yet AGAIN!  And, AGAIN, I tried jumping through all of the above hoops.  Every time it failed, I came back to this forum, and looked for the next suggestion.  (BTW, while the tip to disassociate my Windows Live ID from my Money account was a great one, it was very frustrating when I was unable to do that without being signed into Money!)  Then I finally found a post about restoring a backup and the necessity of using the user name and password that was in use at the time the backup was created!  Took me a couple of tries to figure out the combination, but eventually I did get it and was able to restore the backup.  Now I just have 8 months worth of transactions to download from my bank and hopefully everything will still balance!

So, thank you, everyone, for all  your assistance and suggestions.

And anyone new coming to this forum, I wish you luck.  As Ameridan said above, success was only a result of stumbling on the successful user name and password myself - and, as my Windows Live ID and password, my Hotmail ID and password, and my Passport ID and password were always the same until this morning, I am still confused as to why there was an issue, but, hey, what do I know?  Remember that you cannot disassociate your Windows Live ID from your Money program UNTIL you get into the program.  And, know that if you are attempting to restore a backup, once you (hopefully) successfully get into your Money program, you need to use the user name and password you used when the backup you are trying to restore was created.

Still annoyed, but thankful for the input here!

Thursday, August 11, 2011 1:19 AM
  • For future reference, if you are replacing or upgrading a WORKING drive, even if it is a bit wobbly, then it is often better to clone the old disk to the new disk.  This will give you all the old software on new hardware.  It doesn't always work but is a good thing to try.

Try this software, download it and burn to a CD now, BEFORE you need it again.

http://www.miray.de/products/sat.hdclone.html#free

Thursday, August 11, 2011 9:28 AM
  • Ok as an accountant who had 6 years of tax & bank info on Microsoft Money 2004, I was horrified to find I couldn't log in. Having spent the last 2 days trawling through various websites around the world.. the good news is that I am in.

Here's how and I sincerely hope it works for everyone else

Firstly my system

Windows 7
    Money 2004

Last used MS money for my UK tax return on 26th Oct 2010. This is important

Had backup from that date available

Step 1

Download Money 2005. Its free and available from Microsoft
    '<<<.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26915]Download Details - Microsoft Download Center - Money 2005 UK - QFE2[/url]' (cannot post full links)

Step 2
    Disconnect (physically) from internet

Step 3
    Change date to say 27th October (or day after last working backup but before Jan 31st 2011). Do this and ensure you untick the update clock via synchronising over web

Step 4

Install Money 2005

Enter password which will now work (check work offline)

Then File.. password manager... uncheck use password login in future

Step 5

You've now opened your own file

Step 6

Change date back to current and you should be able to work ok. please note you have removed all security but like me you should have access to all your old details

Hope this helps
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 3:24 PM
  • Hi

I just got the same error "invalid username or password". This happened because I changed my Live ID password and it became different from the MS Money password. I went to the Windows Live website and changed my password to what it was before and I could connect to MS Money.

Regards

Igor Schultz

Monday, April 2, 2012 2:35 AM
  • Hi

I just got the same error "invalid username or password". This happened because I changed my Live ID password and it became different from the MS Money password. I went to the Windows Live website and changed my password to what it was before and I could connect to MS Money.

Regards

Igor Schultz

Disconnect from the Internet.  Pull your ethernet cable or turn off
    your modem -- whatever it takes.  Start Money, Click below the
    password field to select "I want to sign in to Money directly,
    without access to all online services." then click Next.

If you are using Money 2006 or later, remove your LiveID.  Do not
    attempt to change your LiveID.  If you already changed your LiveID,
    use the credentials that were in effect at the time that you saved
    that Money file.

To remove the Live ID, go to File-PasswordManager, and choose to
    remove your LiveID.  To remove or add a conventional password, also
    see File->PasswordManager.

Monday, April 2, 2012 2:49 AM