Vail questions RRS feed

• Question

• I'm new to WHS (haven't set it up yet, currently running Amahi), and I had a few questions (forgive me if they've already been answered):

1. I assume I can have one drive as the system drive, and then a separate drive in the storage pool?

2. Let's say I have 3 drives in the storage pool - can I use two of them for Raid 1 (or is there another way of setting that up)? Also, if there's another way, do I need a mobo that supports raid?

3. Since I don't have my computers on at set times, I'd rather back things up from the client side as opposed to the server side. I assume I could use a program like Acronis on the client side to backup to the server when the client machine is on?

Thx!

Monday, August 2, 2010 7:27 PM

Answers

• In vail you get to choose how much space the system drive is. remaining space and other drives you put in can be used as storage.

Raid is not needed or supported.  As duplication in Vail takes care of it.

Vail actually will wake your computers up and back them up during a time window you choose.

athlon 3400, 2gb ram, 7 drives totaling about 6.5 tbs.
    Monday, August 2, 2010 10:47 PM

All replies

• In vail you get to choose how much space the system drive is. remaining space and other drives you put in can be used as storage.

Raid is not needed or supported.  As duplication in Vail takes care of it.

Vail actually will wake your computers up and back them up during a time window you choose.

Monday, August 2, 2010 10:47 PM
  • 1. Yes, but installation won't configure Vail this way. What you can do instead is install Vail, then exclude the system drive from server storage. After that, you can use diskpart to extend the system partition over the rest of the disk.

2. RAID is not a supported storage configuration. Windows Home Server willl manage your drives, and the data on them, using it's own storage management technology. That said, it's likely you can install on a RAID array. Just realize that you're going to be more "on your own" as far as getting everything working; if you have a problem you'll very possibly wind up solving it yourself.

3. As Enchanter has said, the backup tool in Vail will wake your computers for backups. This works using scheduled tasks and timers, so the computers will need to be in hibernation or standby mode. While you can use a tool like acronis to back up your home computers, and store those backups in your server's shares, the Windows Home Server backup tool is more flexible and efficient.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 12:36 PM
  • Thanks so much! Good to know about how the storage pool works, and that Vail can wake the computers up.

I assume I can also specify which files/folders/drives on the client computers that I want backed up, and what data I want duplicated and what data I don't?

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 2:52 PM
  • You get to choose what folders you get duplicated. 

You also can choose what you want backed up but usually it's easier to backup everything.  The backup on WHS is very good!

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 2:54 PM
    I assume I can also specify which files/folders/drives on the client computers that I want backed up, and what data I want duplicated and what data I don't?

Best practice is to not do this. Let Windows Home Server back everything up, and let it duplicate everything.

For backups, the goal is to be able to restore a home computer that's had a hard drive failure to it's "last good" configuration. That requires you to back up the entire system. Choosing a subset of "everything" may lead you to exclude essential files, important data, etc. by accident.

For duplication, the goal is to protect all your server's data. Duplication protects your server against drive failure by storing two copies of each file in a duplicated share, on two separate hard drives (it's more complex than that in Vail, but conceptually that's the intent). Note, BTW, that it protects against a single drive failure. Two drives will likely mean data loss, possibly extensive. For further protection, and protection against against force majeure events like fire, flood, etc., you can (should; a disaster recovery plan that doesn't take a copy of protected data to another location regularly is worthless) back up your server's shares and backup database to external storage and take that off-site.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 4:03 PM
  • Ken, Can I ask a related question?  I apologize is this is answered elsewhere, but I couldn't find anything.  What is the difference between synching folders on the server and server back-up?  Is that two different operations?  Do I need both or is that using up space unnecessarily? Thanks!
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 7:35 PM
  • I'm not sure what you mean syncing folders on the server.  You have data on your pc's, then you have server storage.  The server backs up your pcs.  So I don't usually keep data that is stored on my server also on my pc..   Could you explain your question a bit better?
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 7:37 PM
  • Got it - the duplication makes sense. But let's say I have 5 drives on my computer that need to be backed up, and they're taking about 300GB worth of space. If I want that backed up on the server, and I want it duplicated on the server as well, I assume I need to make sure that I have at least 600GB of free space on the server (either on one drive, or multiple drives combined)?

Also, having a dup on an external drive that I can take offsite makes sense, but besides that, if I have only one drive in my storage pool on the server, then it would be duplicating the content on the same drive, right?

EDIT: you said it would store the dups on 2 separate hard drives - which would mean I'd need more than one drive in my storage pool. I was thinking about having a 250GB as the system drive, and a 1TB drive in the pool, but it sounds like I should have a second 1TB in the pool as well.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 8:18 PM
  • Backups on the server are not duplicated.

Duplication does require 2 or more hard drives in the server.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 8:27 PM
  • AH, ok, so duplication is only for the server files themselves. Got it. Thx!
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 9:31 PM
  • Well that is not right either if I understand correctly. But I will let Ken explain the
    whole ambiguous backup of client operating systems, backup or storage of various files and
    folders on the server - and duplication of them (if set to duplicate), since he is more of
    a proponent of this whole ambiguous and confusing arrangement it seems .. :)

Art [artfudd] Folden
    --
    "jefffirefly" wrote in message
    news:8924e9f6-7ee2-4509-a0b9-1a6727cb833e@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

AH, ok, so duplication is only for the server files themselves. Got it. Thx!

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 4:24 AM
  • What I said is correct.  Client backups are NOT duplicated.  You choose what server folders are duplicated and in vail the folders are duplicated by default with more then one hard drive. 

The backup system only works by backing up changed or added files.  So if you have multiple computers running win 7, it actually only backs up a single instance of each of the similar files or sectors.  Don't know exactly how it does it.  But it's not duplicated by any means.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 4:39 AM
  • Duplication allows you to protect files in shares so flagged from the failure of a single disk. It's a reliability/data integrity feature. Server backup is intended for disaster recovery; it lets you take a copy of some or all of your data off-site and will (at some point) allow a bare metal restoration of your server. Home computer backup allows you to perform a bare metal restoration of backed up PCs (to the same or identical hardware; it's not a way to migrate a PC to new hardware), or to restore single files/folders from a backup.

Note that, with Vail, home computer backups do get duplicated if you have multiple drives in server storage (Enchanter is incorrect). You can turn this off if you want, just like any other share.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 1:00 PM
  • Ok makes sense...thx for clarifying.

Next question is, I have a 1TB WD Green (16MB cache) that I was going to use for the storage pool, and an older Maxtor 1.5 Sata 300 GB for the system drive...but I was actually thinking about getting a WD Blue 500 (16 cache) instead...

Would that be a good choice? Or should I go with a WD Green for the system drive? I'd like to keep the power consumption low, but a good enough drive for performance.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 5:26 PM
  • Sorry about the bad info.  I have been out of the WHS loop and just recently gotten into vail.  I have a junky 300 gig maxtor ide drive as my main drive and a few "green" wd drives 2 tb drives as my storage.  Your network interface will probably be slower then the drives themselves.  At least that was my experience with v1.  I have vail only on a vm right now.  
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 9:49 PM
  • Yeah, I have GigE, but that's prob still too slow for the need for anything faster.
    Thursday, August 5, 2010 5:37 PM