Healthy drive in WHS Console but logs tell bad block. RRS feed

• Question

•  One of my drives is showing me a bad block in the System logs when I log in to the WHS by remote desktop. The confusing part is that the WHS Console tells me the drive is healthy and instead tells me that the Backup Service isn't running. That may be the case but why doesn't it tell me that the drive have had failures?
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 10:49 PM

Answers

• Hi,

yes, this unpleasant behavior has been reported before (also on Connect) and is caused by the fact, that the console "hopes" for automagical fixing of errors before after about 1 week reporting this as well. If I remember right, even this did not always happen.

If you wish, you can validate and comment the bug report on Connect, if you are registered or do register as outlined in the top thread of this forum.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Marked as answer by stolpe Wednesday, January 28, 2009 7:58 AM
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 11:39 PM

All replies

• Hi,

yes, this unpleasant behavior has been reported before (also on Connect) and is caused by the fact, that the console "hopes" for automagical fixing of errors before after about 1 week reporting this as well. If I remember right, even this did not always happen.

If you wish, you can validate and comment the bug report on Connect, if you are registered or do register as outlined in the top thread of this forum.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Marked as answer by stolpe Wednesday, January 28, 2009 7:58 AM
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 11:39 PM
  • Bad block in system event log doesn't necessarily mean the hard drive is going bad. It can also point at some other hardware error, bad cabling, other drive (CD drive) going bad, controller going bad and so on, difficult to diagnose. Could even be caused by a drive which is going into sleep mode and can not be accessed quick enough.

Try competely disconnecting (power and SATA / IDE cable) for each of the other drives one by one and check if the bad block errors still appear (Start with CD / DVD drive).

Also check the hard drive for which the error is reported using chkdsk. WHS is also supposed to do this every night around midnight, and it should show a health warning if it finds any errors on the drive. Personally I would take each of the drives out, mount them as slave drives (using new cables)  in a healthy system and then run chkdsk /f /r. 

Is the hard drive internal or external, (e)SATA, PATA, USB? Any other errors in the event log?

• Edited by brubberModerator Wednesday, January 28, 2009 12:09 AM some more remarks / questions
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 12:04 AM
  • Thanks for your quick responses, I took a nights sleep before writing my answer.

I know both of your answers are correct but this time I'll go for Olaf's explanation, I _heard_ the drive going bad and saw that the system had problems reading the disk (lots of flashing on th HD-lamp). I have two internal SATA drives possibly on the same controller (have to check that one day or the other).

I do think though that the messages from the console should include a disk failure message even if it's a bad cable or controller so one could take the actions needed, ie. checking cables and so. 
    I do not think that just giving the message "Backup Service is not running." (even if it's a correct statement) is very helpful as one would like to shut down the server, get a new disc and save all the data before the disc goes completely bad.

I'll surely comment this in my opinion bad design decision on connect.

Gruesse/Greetings from Sweden
    Pär 

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 5:53 AM