Backup management RRS feed

• Question

• I currently run 3 servers on my home network.  I have moved away from Raid 1 because I have had more non-disk single point of failure issues than disk issues.  I have 80,000 family pictures dating from the 1960s to the present, 20,000 documents, and hundreds of videos that I cannot afford to lose.  I concluded that to be safe, I needed 3 separate servers to insure that I always had at least two copies available.  I also keep copies offsite that are updated a couple times a year.  I use GenieSoft Timeline to provide near real time backup on my clent PC's to one of the servers.  I have a WHS v1 doing system backups of the clients daily as well, but I have not been successfult getting it to restore Win 7 machines.  Because WHS v1 does not recognize other NAS units, and thus cannot be used to manage NAS to NAS copying.  I currently use a NetGear Duo which can be programmed to perform NAS to NAS folder copy jobs.  It is configured as a 4TB(2x 2TB) Raid 0 and works fine but it is maxed out and I would like to standardize on one Server that can meet my future needs.  I also used Whiist to create a website on my WHS v1.  So, my questions are:  Is there consideration to put NAS to NAS backup job management into Vail?  Also are there plans to provide a Whiist like website management  capability on Vail.?  If I had those two capabilities, I would go with 3 Vail servers for my server needs.
    Monday, October 4, 2010 12:55 AM

All replies

Is there consideration to put NAS to NAS backup job management into Vail?

If it's not there now, Microsoft probably isn't going to add it.

As for whiist, possibly someone will create such an add-in, but I don't know if any specific plans.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, October 4, 2010 1:01 PM
  • Thanks Ken for the comments.  If web site support is not added, I will have my WHS v1 for a long time.  Regarding the NAS to NAS backup support, an alternative available to me would be to use a Win 7 machine as one of my three servers and use Genie Backup Pro to distribute the backups to the other servers.  If the system backup of Vail proves to be effective, I could set up one of my 3 servers as a Vail server.  What that all should work, it fails to standardize my backup storage and web site support on one platform. 

Network uplink speed has historically been a major limiting factor for home base web servers, but that is changing.  1mb and higher rates are becoming pretty common.  My uplink is 1mb and it provides good web site performance.  I would hope Microsoft takes a look at that.  I also use it to send large folders of pictures and videos to others that far exceed email limitations.  I used to use YouSendIt but I did not do it enough to justify a subscription and the free version was too limiting.  I live on a lake and I head up the water quality monitoring program for our lake association so I use the web site to share our data with association members, town officials, and the DEP for our State.  You can check out my site at the following link:  http://Lakeside.homeserver.com

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 12:31 PM