none
Re-provision a node (RC1) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    when I try to reprovision an already deployed (and working) compute node with a Deployment step, the provision steps doesn't start:
    the provision stops at "Initiating deployment operations for template: Default ComputeNode Template".

When rebooting the compute node, it appears the message "PM Sending PXE command to boot node to the current OS" but the provision still doesn't start.
    The provision never fails, just it seems it waits for something...

I want to apply this template (see below for the template export) to redeploy a compute node where I've manually uninstalled the hpc pack, in order to reinstall it and make the node again working.

There is a bug or am I wrong to do something?

Thanks,
    Marco

PS
    the template:
    ----------------------------
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <Template xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
      Description="">
      <Item
        Name="InstallCCP">
        <Parameter
          Name="SetupSourceDir"
          Value="\\%CLUSTERNAME%\REMINST" />
        <Parameter
          Name="Description"
          Value="Installs HPC pack on the compute node." />
      </Item>
    </Template>
    Saturday, July 5, 2008 4:26 PM

Answers

• Hi Marco,

You cannot reprovision a compute node with the template you've provided.  Since it's difficult to check the validity of every possible template, we provide a base OS installation template with our wizard to rebuild a compute node.  You need to build upon or simply use this 'bare-metal' template before you can "Reimage" a compute node.

You can reinstall the product on the compute node manually but the scenario that you've suggested should not require such action.

Thanks for trying RC1,
    --Brian

PS. Our "Trustworthy Computing" effort defines the fact that the compute node must first trust the head node before that head node can manually trust that same compute node. 

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 11:32 AM