none
Browse Users broke in recent update RRS feed

Answers

• This was changed about 6 months ago. Around that time we started seeing some performance issues in the browse users page so we rewrote it. When we rewrote it we did a lot of analysis on how the page was used, by who and why. This told a few things: 1. this page was very seldom used at all. Even though there are links to this in the My Links, it had very low page views. 2. Of the page views the feature did have, a very high percentage of the use was solely on finding a user, the number of paged views we almost non existant.

The only scenario whre paging was really useful was when someone was searching for a user and got more than 40 results back. We thought implementing paging allowing users to scroll through hundreds of thousands of users was not a super high priority, so we went without paging. So the page is more minimal but certainly isn't causing system health issues like the previous one.

Can you explain what scenario paging is useful for and how critical it is to you? And the general reasons you use this page? Thanks a lot for posting!

Community Forums Program Manager
    Friday, October 15, 2010 1:08 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• This was changed about 6 months ago. Around that time we started seeing some performance issues in the browse users page so we rewrote it. When we rewrote it we did a lot of analysis on how the page was used, by who and why. This told a few things: 1. this page was very seldom used at all. Even though there are links to this in the My Links, it had very low page views. 2. Of the page views the feature did have, a very high percentage of the use was solely on finding a user, the number of paged views we almost non existant.

The only scenario whre paging was really useful was when someone was searching for a user and got more than 40 results back. We thought implementing paging allowing users to scroll through hundreds of thousands of users was not a super high priority, so we went without paging. So the page is more minimal but certainly isn't causing system health issues like the previous one.

Can you explain what scenario paging is useful for and how critical it is to you? And the general reasons you use this page? Thanks a lot for posting!

Friday, October 15, 2010 1:08 AM
    Answerer
  • Can you explain what scenario paging is useful for and how critical it is to you? And the general reasons you use this page? Thanks a lot for posting!

I mostly just noticed that it was broken/missing.  I was trying to find a specific user who had changed their display name, and found it broken, so I thought I'd mention it.

Reed Copsey, Jr. - http://reedcopsey.com
    Friday, October 15, 2010 1:24 AM