Media streaming problem and file sharing bug RRS feed

• General discussion

• I think there is media sharing bug.( user level sharing problem )

Could some one please tell me if this is a bug or not. ( could be major )

setup  I used

create 3 users   x, y, z

create shared folder outside the video folder.

let  user x have  full access

let user y, z have no access

media streaming is turn on in this folder.

The problem y, z can still see the videos in this folder  even when they no access to  this shared folder.

Friday, May 7, 2010 2:26 AM

All replies

• I tried what you listed below, step by step. When I came back in with "y & z" users they couldn't see the "shared folder" that I created outside the video folder.

Everything was set up just as you mentioned and they, ( y & z ) couldn't see the files.

It appears to be working correctly on my computers? 

--
    Don

I think there is media sharing bug.( user level sharing problem )

setup  I used

create 3 users   x, y, z

The problem y, z can still see the videos in this folder  even when they no access to  this shared folder.

Friday, May 7, 2010 4:16 AM
  • I think there is media sharing bug.( user level sharing problem )

setup  I used

create 3 users   x, y, z

Mine is functioning the same as Don C.'s (no access for the users y and z).  Did you log off and log back on with those users (to clear the stored credentials)?
    Friday, May 7, 2010 5:30 AM
  • I guess what js117 is complaining is, access control over Shared Folder doesn't work on the media streaming web access.

The answer to this question is, yes, this is the behavior we designed (of course it maybe misdesign :)). The media streaming web component is designed as yet another DLNA client for WHS (DNLA server), which doesn't take per-user access control. Put it in another example, if you have an xbox in your home, regardless of user access control, any body use that XBOX can see all media content shared on WHS using media streaming. It's kind of the same implication that once you decide to share media content on WHS via media streaming function, the sharing content will be available to all devices and people in the house - XBOXes, WMP 11+ on home computers, including Remote Web Acess.

But I also take your point of the inconsistency between shared folder and media page, feel free to log a connect bug if you feel strong about it.

Thanks.

windows home server team
    Friday, May 7, 2010 8:42 AM
  • I understand what js117 is talking about but as far as streaming goes, the account that runs streaming has full access to all the shared folders in which it streams from.  So you do no not need an account to access the streaming functions, any user/device/computer is able to stream the media.

Now... as far as that goes, I would like to see a function to lock down devices/MAC addresses so they are not able to stream data like in WMP11/WMP12 where you go into the sharing setup and choose what devices are allowed to stream.

I think I am going to submit that on connect right now.

Pugsly0014
    Friday, May 7, 2010 12:47 PM
  • I understand what js117 is talking about but as far as streaming goes, the account that runs streaming has full access to all the shared folders in which it streams from.  So you do no not need an account to access the streaming functions, any user/device/computer is able to stream the media.

Now... as far as that goes, I would like to see a function to lock down devices/MAC addresses so they are not able to stream data like in WMP11/WMP12 where you go into the sharing setup and choose what devices are allowed to stream.

I think I am going to submit that on connect right now.

Pugsly0014

Thank for your comments.
    This would give some control for parrents  over what your kids can watch and don't watch.

I still believe the kids wiill  still be able to see it on the web remote access.

Friday, May 7, 2010 2:04 PM
    But I also take your point of the inconsistency between shared folder and media page, feel free to log a connect bug if you feel strong about it.
    Bugged . I don't care personally, but I know people who do.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, May 7, 2010 9:53 PM