Welcome to the Windows Home Server "Vail" Public Preview RRS feed

All replies

• So where's the download :)?
    Monday, April 26, 2010 4:56 PM
  • Hi Tom,

Please see our team blog for more details on when the download will be available: http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windowshomeserver/default.aspx

Thanks

Jonas Svensson [MSFT] Windows Home Server Community Program Manager
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Monday, April 26, 2010 5:08 PM
  • OK nothing there yet, hope to see something soon. Good stuff :)
    Monday, April 26, 2010 5:12 PM
  • Can't wait.  Just upgraded my server in hopes of Vail being available soon.

Core i3 530

Gigabyte GA-H55M-USB3

2GB Ram

3 Western Digital 1TB Green Drives

Intel Pro1000PT pcie NIC

Monday, April 26, 2010 5:16 PM
  • Great, I will be on vacation for the next 5 weeks. Hope it will be out before I'm back to work :)
    Monday, April 26, 2010 5:17 PM
  • It will be on Connect when it's available. It takes some time for a package to make it's way through that system, though. Could be a few minutes, could be a few hours. Depends on when the button was pushed.

In the meantime, read all the announcements carefully. Every one. Especially the one about installation issues. We will point and say "Look! Microsoft told you so!" if you fail to. :)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, April 26, 2010 5:18 PM
  • Available on connect now :)
    Monday, April 26, 2010 5:52 PM
  • And you're waiting for?

Get some hardware (not your production server) and get busy!

Monday, April 26, 2010 5:58 PM
  • Thanks for the preview notice. I've been itching to poke and prod Vail for several weeks now.
    Monday, April 26, 2010 8:32 PM
  • Just Got realy excited hearing the beta's available, just logged into my connect account and the only download available is the video demo, is the OS not available yet for UK?.

Nigel

Monday, April 26, 2010 10:58 PM
  • It is there, you just need to search, it is in the download link on the left. Have been downloading for last hour in UK.
    Monday, April 26, 2010 11:10 PM
  • wahoot, very excited to test!!
    Monday, April 26, 2010 11:12 PM
  • Hi Bubblefish i clicked on the download link and the only thing there to download is the video file "Vail_Beta_Preview_V2.mp4"

this is the url i'm at https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer.

Nigel

Monday, April 26, 2010 11:20 PM
  • Hi Bubblefish i clicked on the download link and the only thing there to download is the video file "Vail_Beta_Preview_V2.mp4"

this is the url i'm at https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer.

Nigel

Right here: https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/Downloads?wa=wsignin1.0
    Monday, April 26, 2010 11:28 PM
  • Thanks guys but the only download it's offering is the "Vail_Beta_Preview_V2.mp4", i'll check again in the morning.

Nigel

Monday, April 26, 2010 11:40 PM
  • You may need to reapply for the beta.
    Monday, April 26, 2010 11:54 PM
  • Hi ken how do i do that, i have removed it from my dashboard but when i select it from the connection directory there is no "apply now" link just say's add to your dashboard, when i did this earlier it still only offered me the video download.

Cheers nigel

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 12:06 AM
  • Odd. Perhaps Jonas will look into this? Could you send email to whsforum@microsoft.com?

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 2:01 AM
  • I am having the same issue, i have the windows home server on my dashboard but the only download that shows is the video.
    Maj.Havoc Win 7 Beta
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 4:29 AM
  • Odd. Perhaps Jonas will look into this? Could you send email to whsforum@microsoft.com?

Thank you Ken i have sent an email.

Nigel

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 6:40 AM
  • If you are not signed in to Connect, all you will see is that video.
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 12:48 PM
  • Hi Ken i am signed into connect, when i click on the "Join the Windows Home Server Connect program" link here https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer the next pages diplays the following
    Windows Home Server
    Program Information
    This is the official Microsoft Connect Community Program for Windows Home Server.  

Program Start Date 13/06/2007
    Program End Date  
    Nomination Start Date 13/06/2007
    Nomination End Date  
    i have tried quiting the home server programe and re joining but the only otion it gives me is to "+ Add to Your Dashboard "
    when i do that it just shows me the video download again. It seems i am locked into the original WHS from 2007 which is why i cannot see the new downloads.
    Nigel 
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 1:05 PM
  • I am also having the same problem.
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 1:22 PM
  • Here too, same problem. The downloads only show the video file.

Joining to the Home Server connect program, at this link https://connect.microsoft.com/programdetails.aspx?ProgramDetailsID=1475  gives me the same page as described by nigel1107.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 3:32 PM
  • Once you've enrolled, you should go to

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer

Under downloads is Windows Home Server Code Name 'Vail' Preview

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 9:47 PM
  • Just reading alll this while downloading... really easy link guys...

Vail Homepage

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 10:07 PM
  • Just as a recap, it wasn't that i could not find the links for downloading WHS Vail this is from an email between myself and Jonas on whsforums

"Hi Nigel,

It looks like you have declined participation in our beta program at some point in time.  I am unable to change this status, but have added the Microsoft Connect Admin Team who can assist."

so i had apparently at some stage opted out which meant i could no longer see the downloads apart from the video clip,  the mcadmin team have now reactivated the WHS connect programe and i have now downloaded the files. So if anyone else is having the same problem you will need to be reactivated by the Microsoft Connect Admin Team.

Many thanks go to Jonas for all his help ealier today and to the MCadmin team.

Nigel

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 10:20 PM
  • Just as a recap, it wasn't that i could not find the links for downloading WHS Vail this is from an email between myself and Jonas on whsforums

"Hi Nigel,

It looks like you have declined participation in our beta program at some point in time.  I am unable to change this status, but have added the Microsoft Connect Admin Team who can assist."

so i had apparently at some stage opted out which meant i could no longer see the downloads apart from the video clip,  the mcadmin team have now reactivated the WHS connect programe and i have now downloaded the files. So if anyone else is having the same problem you will need to be reactivated by the Microsoft Connect Admin Team.

Many thanks go to Jonas for all his help ealier today and to the MCadmin team.

Nigel

I seem to have the same problem as Nigel1107.

I had previously been a Beta tester of the original Windows Home Server and had participated in the forums.  At some point I had quit the Beta test, since I was done testing that version.

Now, I would like to test the new version to see the differences.  But all I can do is add it to my dashboard in a "watching" state, not "participating".  Nor are the download links available from the Home page, https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer, or from ./Downloads/.

Saturday, May 8, 2010 6:57 PM
  • Hi,

i have the same problem as nigel1107 & brian, i was homeserver 1 beta tester, but it seems currently no download link.

Rgds
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 9:06 PM
  • I also sent an email to whsbeta@microsoft.com but no reply yet.

Those of us who may have been disappointed with the first version want to see what exciting changes have been made.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 9:16 PM
  • Is there any word on this yet? One of my 64bit machines has just been freed up and I'd like to install the beta on it.

I've been running around all over the web trying to find it :(

Monday, May 31, 2010 2:43 PM
  • You can download from Connect, as has been stated several times in this thread.
    Monday, May 31, 2010 3:09 PM
  • Sorry for not reporting back.

I was contacted by a member of the WHS team the day after I last reported here.

After a couple of email exchanges, my account was reset.  No problems now.

Excellent support.

Monday, May 31, 2010 9:53 PM
  • Thanks Brian and Ken, going back over the thread I think I know what happened, I seem to recall receiving an invitation a while ago, but because I had no 64bit machine available at that time , I declined.

I'll send an e-mal to the team and see if I can sweet talk them into letting me back in.

I ended up signing into Contact under another account and was able to see and download.

Tuesday, June 1, 2010 3:13 AM
  • So I'm new to this home server stuff and media centralization. Anyplace I could get some intro and ideas on how to take advantage of this?

Saturday, June 5, 2010 4:18 AM
  • Have you visited the Windows Home Server section of the Microsoft web site? How about some of the (many) blogs and sites dedicated to Windows Home Server?

I'll note that a beta is not really the place to learn the basics of a product; you'll have a lot of trouble distinguishing between bugs, intentional design decisions that aren't the one you would have made, and lack of understanding of concepts. Have you considered taking a look at the eval of V1 of the product instead?

Saturday, June 5, 2010 4:31 AM
  • Well I'm an IT person anyway so I'm not afraid to dip my foot into new technologies. I already run a machine with Server 2008 R2 on it. I wanted to try Home Server V2 because of the fact it finds its code base in Server 2008 R2. The original Home Server seemed cumbersome and outdated even around the time of its release so I didn't really want to get myself involved with it but Microsoft seems to have made good strides in bringing the new Home Server into the present and making it relevant.
    Saturday, June 5, 2010 10:39 AM
  • Vail isn't designed to be Windows Server 2008 R2 "lite". If you're running Windows Server 2008 R2 today, using Vail to supplement your current network is fine, but don't expect it to be a replacement for Server 2008. Even if you're going to wait for Vail to be released (and that's many months away, though Microsoft hasn't publicly announced a timeline), you should still look at the capabilities of V1, as Vail follows many of the same precepts.
    Saturday, June 5, 2010 12:43 PM
  •  Even if you're going to wait for Vail to be released (and that's many months away, though Microsoft hasn't publicly announced a timeline

Ken, would you hazard a guess as to when it may be released, based on your experience with WHS v1 and how this particular beta is going?

Saturday, June 5, 2010 2:00 PM
  • Maybe it'll RTM by the end of the year? That's only a guess though, based on the V1 timeline. I don't know about GA; once it's released there's additional lead time to fill the pipeline. The holidays are big (I would guess that HP sold quite a few thousand servers back in the late fall of 2007), and I'm sure Microsoft would like to ship well in advance of then, but honestly I've got my doubts about whether we'll see Vail released in time for Christmas. I would guess you might be able to buy (or pre-order, anyway) a server around the first of the year, or a system builder software package around the same time. My advice: you shouldn't wait on Vail if you're thinking about buying soon. You've probably got 6+ months anyway before Vail has a chance of shipping, and V1 offers a lot for the average home user, or even the enthusiast. It won't be wasted money or time.

Also, I'd like to point out that V1 has never been available as retail software (i.e. shelfware); you can buy a system builder pack and "roll your own" without support other than the community, or you can buy a hardware/software package from an OEM. That may be the plan for Vail as well, I really can't say. I'd like to think there will be a retail version, but "If wishes were horses, Beggars would ride." One thing this means, though, is that you should not look for a "Buy V1 now and upgrade for pennies (or free) when Vail is released" offer. Those offers are generally only for retail sales.

If you're going to "roll your own" make sure that your server today is comfortably above the minimum requirements for Vail. I'd go with 2 GB of RAM, a low end dual-core processor and motherboard with good 64 bit support, and 2x large drive (whatever the "sweet spot" is this week, last week it was 1.5 TB drives). Oddly enough, that's a decent description of my Vail server right now: my processor is a 1.6 GHz Allandale; relatively low power and perfectly adequate for what Vail does. :) Once you've got the hardware, put V1 on it if it's your only server. Vail is not supported in production; I use it that way at my own (potentially considerable) risk but you shouldn't imitate me. As Jerry Pournelle said for many years in his Chaos Manor columns in Byte, "I do stupid things so you don't have to."

If you're contemplating an OEM server, I can't say whether any OEMs will offer an upgrade to Vail even if their hardware supports it. If an OEM chooses to do so (and remember that OEMs are in business to sell you hardware and accessories, not support the hardware you already bought) such an upgrade will probably be well after GA. But again, V1 has a lot to offer, so waiting isn't your best play.

Saturday, June 5, 2010 2:52 PM
  • It was never my intent to use Home Server V2 in the same context as Windows Server 2008 R2. Server 08 R2 stands on its own with my own usages in mind for it. What I want out of Home Server V2 is to take advantage of the media centralization concept that it boasts. I'm always looking for new ways to manage and access my data.
    Sunday, June 6, 2010 12:45 PM
  • "Maybe it'll RTM by the end of the year? That's only a guess though, based on the V1 timeline."

Any thoughts on when the next version of the beta might be available? My VM's running well but I plan to move onto metal only when the next beta is released

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 12:09 PM
  • Just wanted to say I'm an avid user of V1, and I installed Vail/V2 on an extra machine last night and I love the new setup!  Really excited about Vail/V2's added capabilities.
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 2:41 PM
  • Really excited about Vail/V2's added capabilities.

Really? Which added capabities you're so exited about in the current availabel Vail?

I only see, compared to V1, things missing. So for the end user, as it is now, it's a regression.
    (I don't get fooled by the updated UI)

"El Capitan Spaulding" wrote in message news:72185053-3398-43e7-b700-5dcd69c08cd6@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Just wanted to say I'm an avid user of V1, and I installed Vail/V2 on an extra machine last night and I love the new setup! Really excited about Vail/V2's added capabilities.

Have a nice day!
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 4:05 PM
  • +1

Art [artfudd] Folden
    --
    "Leen [MVP]" wrote in message
    news:microsoft.en-US.whsvailbeta!1016348e-fa13-4fb8-a715-10f97f253bd9@social.msdn.microsoft.com...

Really excited about Vail/V2's added capabilities.

Really? Which added capabities you're so exited about in the current availabel Vail?

I only see, compared to V1, things missing. So for the end user, as it is now, it's a
    regression.
    (I don't get fooled by the updated UI)

"El Capitan Spaulding" wrote in message
    news:72185053-3398-43e7-b700-5dcd69c08cd6@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Just wanted to say I'm an avid user of V1, and I installed Vail/V2 on an extra machine
    last night and I love the new setup! Really excited about Vail/V2's added capabilities.

Have a nice day!

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 5:52 PM