Back links and low ranking for search words... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I posted a question several months ago, where I asked why my own website is among the
    back links list (Got no answer). When I set it to only include my website dinstartside.no, I get listed 167
    pages of my own website. I don’t even have 167 pages for that domain!!

It also seems to give a bad influence on my listing in the search engine. I do very well for the search words “Startside” “Startsiden” using Google, but for live search I’m way behind.

Please guide me… J

Best regards
    Energy

Monday, October 20, 2008 10:22 AM

Answers

• Hi Energy.

My apologies for not watching the other thread closer. I had believed Nathan would continue the conversation.

I just checked your site and I was still able to access both www and non www. Unfortunately, there is not a tool available to specify which version you want Live to index; however, I believe something is in the works as it is highly requested.

Brett

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 9:07 PM

All replies

• Hi, Energy.

I just checked the number of pages indexed in Google and Live.  Google has 145 and Live has 170.

Live is probably taking your number of backlinks from the list of indexed pages.

So, if some of these indexed pages are no longer on the website, I would guess that you have two alternatives:

Submit a request for the absent pages to be removed from the index, which by my theory would get them removed from the list of backlinks.

Or do 301 redirects from the absent pages to the existing ones, in the hopes that eventually the Live Search bot will follow those an drop the absent pages fromthe index.

... Duane

Monday, October 20, 2008 2:40 PM
  • I´ve done the 301 redirect.

It seems like there is a www non www issue, since the crawler indexes with and without. I´ve registrated the page wit www. and it seems like the crawler get confused and gives the non www. as a back link to the www. page.
    I´m using a third part host with a MS IIS server, and tryed to get them to set up a redirect from non www. to www. but with no luck so far..

Google have no problem with the www. non www. issue.

Also, Livesearch seems to be case sensitive when I do just a smal change to my website (Yahoo too). If I change any layout, links and rtext I drop almost instantly in ranking. It seems like they loove it when you dont do any changes at all..
    I was told it would be healthy to have a few feeds on the website, that changes constantly (in my case from newspapers), but I´ve started to doubt that it´s healthy at all.. From my point of view, it seems like the websites that are "left" and not maintained seems to have a benefit regarding Livesearch...

I´ve been using this forum for a loong time, and for a loong periode I was active giving answers myself. To make the story short.. I do very well regarding Google, and whatever comes from Livesearch is considered as a bonus :-)

Best regards

Energy.

Monday, October 20, 2008 4:00 PM
  • Hi Energy.

My apologies for not watching the other thread closer. I had believed Nathan would continue the conversation.

I just checked your site and I was still able to access both www and non www. Unfortunately, there is not a tool available to specify which version you want Live to index; however, I believe something is in the works as it is highly requested.

Brett

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 9:07 PM