CHKDSK log file filling up C: drive RRS feed

• Question

• I just noticed recently that I was having problems access my Home Server Console.  When I logged on locally to the machine I was greeted with a message that my C: drive was full.  Looking through the files on the disc I found that C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs folder had a 12.5GB chkdsk_c__fs_O.log file sitting there.  I tried to delete the file, but the machine kept saying that the file was in use.  I checked the task manager and chkdsk was running.  I killed the process and deleted the log file, however it seems that the system keeps repeating the same thing every night.

According to Server Storage and the Disk Management add-in all of my drives are displaying as healthy.  I did a little more digging and the "O" drive is the first storage drive in the system.  I have 10-2TB hard drives in my system - currently disks 2-10 are averaging 50% used while drive 1 is sitting at 97%.  Is it possible that this drive is failing although both management screens state that the drive is healthy?

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 1:50 PM

All replies

• You can test the drive in another computer, if you can identify the physical drive. Just shut your server down, remove it, connect it to another computer, and run "chkdsk /r" on the drive.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 4:53 PM