SyncToy 2.1 (64x and 86x) with Windows 7 and Outlook 2010: Cannot sync Outlook.pst RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Microsoft SyncToy in both 32bit and 64bit versions. I setup a Folder Pair that includes Outlook.pst (doesnt matter where on the drive). When I Run/ Run All I get an error message that the file cannot be accessed because it is being used/ some part of it is being used by another program. I have rebooted, started SyncToy without doing anything with Outlook and I get the same message. This doesnt happen for archive.pst (which syncronises perfectly).

I really like SyncToy - does anyone knwo why I am having this problem please?

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 4:42 PM

All replies

• Is Outlook running? Close Outlook and try again.
    Friday, May 27, 2011 6:58 AM
  • Outlook is notorious for continuing to run on after you close it. According to some reading I've done on the internet, it can run on for a half-hour or more! Possibly taking care of archiving and such like.

I use SyncToy to sync my Outlook between several computers. I Sync the pst to a USB key. I DO NOT use archiving, so maybe that's why I don't have that problem. Couple things you might want to check; after you shut down Outlook, fire up TaskManager to see if the outlook process is still running.Also, look in the same folder as the pst, and while Outlook is open you should see a xxxx.pst.tmp file open. When you close Outlook, this should go away, but that can take several minutes. You daren't try syncing while that temp file is still open.

.....Randy

Friday, June 3, 2011 12:45 AM