How to backup files onto a DVD-RW disc? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have the Live One Care software and it is telling me that I need to backup my files onto a CD or DVD. I inserted a DVD and pressed the Start Backup button. Then it gets to 2% of saying how much it has backedup my files. Then tells me that the burner cannot be read or to check the disc?! There is nothing wrong with the disc...it is brand new. I do not know what to do??!!

Friday, April 17, 2009 1:29 AM

All replies

• Have you ever used the burner to write files to disc with other software?
    What type of CD/DVD are you using? If you are using RW type disc media, try using write once (R) instead. OneCare doesn't do well with RW discs, especially if they were erased or formatted.
    If you have other burning software on the PC, make sure that it isn't loading a "packet writing" component that allows you to write files to disc as if that disc were a removable drive. Roxio and Nero both install this with their full suites - DirectCD and InCD are the names used. Also, if you are using one of these suites, if a "media watch" program loads at startup to watch the CD/DVD drive, this could conflict with OneCare.

If you are unable to resolve this, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Friday, April 17, 2009 1:43 PM