How do I add an existing PC to a circle? RRS feed

• Question

•  

OK, when automatic upgrade to 2.0.2392.4 rolled out it failed on my hub PC but updated OK on the second PC in the circle. It tried to update several times and failed the same each time.

I could not afford to leave the HUB PC unprotected, so I ended up uninstalling, running the clean-up and reinstalling the release, which worked OK.

Now I need to add the second PC to the first again, re-establishing the HUb PC as the HUB.

How do I add a PC wheich already has the release to the HUb? I just get told to install the One Care, as if it was not already there, to the second PC and sign in using same ID to join it to the hub.

I am sure this will be a common type of occurrance, you can remove a PC from a HUB, you SHOULD be able to add an existing PC with One Care already installed to a hub.

Ad to also add we need subscription models for more than 3 PC's. OR the ability to link two or more hubs together to allow easy printer sharing etc, especially if one or two macjhines are laptops which move between two LANS/HUBS.

Martin

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 3:02 PM

Answers

• As long as both OneCare installations are using the same LiveID (typically via activation), once you make one PC a hub, the other PC will be added to the Circle without intervention, as far as I know, though it will not happen instantly. The information about your subscription has to be communicated up to the server and back down to the hub. Once that happens, monitoring will happen locally if they are on the same network.

I have no experience with making a PC a hub if using a not-activated copy of OneCare on both PCs, so the above is based on my experience with two circles I set up with activated subscriptions for the 2.0 beta.

-steve

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 4:42 PM

All replies

• As long as both OneCare installations are using the same LiveID (typically via activation), once you make one PC a hub, the other PC will be added to the Circle without intervention, as far as I know, though it will not happen instantly. The information about your subscription has to be communicated up to the server and back down to the hub. Once that happens, monitoring will happen locally if they are on the same network.

I have no experience with making a PC a hub if using a not-activated copy of OneCare on both PCs, so the above is based on my experience with two circles I set up with activated subscriptions for the 2.0 beta.

-steve

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 4:42 PM
  • I am having the same problem.

After I uninstalled the last 2.0 beta on my main (hub) PC, I bought the released product from the 19.95 offer.  I installed that on my hub PC.

Then I went to the other PC in the house, which is a laptop computer, uninstalled the beta, and installed the 2.0 release product.

The PCs didn't seem to be communicating; at least the statuses weren't the same as far as the backup plan.  So from the hub computer, I deleted the laptop computer from the circle.

Now I can't get the laptop to re-join the main computer's "circle".

There ought to be a way from the main computer to "get" a computer INTO the circle, AND there ought to be a way from the subsidiary computer to join the hub PC and become a member of the circle. 

NEITHER option is available.  This is a little strange.

Any suggestions?  Wait a day or two and see if they notice each other?  The laptop computer CAN see the shared folders on the main computer, so I know there is communication between them.

David Walker

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 5:33 AM
  • When you remove a PC from the hub, I believe you are presented with a warning that it is being de-activated. If you proceed, then the client PC should go red as it is no longer activated. If that isn't happening - and - since your client never did communicate properly with the hub, I think there may have been another issue. I would reinstall on the client. Once you make a PC the hub for a subscription any time you activate another PC with the same LiveID it is automatically part of the Circle.

-steve

Thursday, November 22, 2007 3:45 AM
  • I thought that I would be able to drop the laptop from the circle and re-add it. 

Having to completely reinstall OneCare on the laptop in order to get it re-added to the circle is a disaster, from a software-design-and-usability standpoint.  Just my opinion, having been a programmer for 40 years......

The software needs to be friendlier.

Friday, November 23, 2007 2:39 AM
  • My opinion, as well, and I said as much during the beta.

-steve

Saturday, November 24, 2007 2:43 AM
  • I was presented with the same or similar situation.  My laptop (non-hub) crashed with the winss cannot start error.  So, I uninstalled, cleaned up, and reinstalled OneCare.  Then it wouldn't recognize the Hub as a hub, and wouldn't configure backup (so I had a Yellow on both the Hub and Laptop).  So, I was told to uninstall OneCare from the Hub (even though my third computer was chugging along happily recognizing the Hub) and reinstall. 

After doing this, the Hub was happy, but no one else was.  Neither of my other computers even saw the Hub PC, and as far as it was concerned, it was the only PC in my circle (I waited about 2 days or so like this).  Eventually, I uninstalled and reinstalled on the other two computers, and it works.

Through this, I was in contact with Microsoft support.  They even agreed that it's not the best scenario, and they sent my information to the team.  If it hadn't been for the fact that I'm in the betas, I would have just completely removed OneCare and been done with it.  The last three 'glitches' that they had (this one, the antivrus not updating, and one other update), I've ended up uninstalling and reinstalling on all three PC's.  That's not a good track record for anything.  Plus, I have two other firewall licenses that I paid for (actually three, but one may have expired already), that I'm not using right now.  So, I can still protect my computers...

Anyhow, other than these glitches and the gripe post in the Backup section that I joined, I like OneCare and will continue to use it.  Although I would like to also see what file is actually infected with a virus that can't be quarantined..lol

Have a great weekend :-)
    Patrick.

Saturday, November 24, 2007 8:37 PM
  • I'm having the same problem.

I recently rebuilt my laptop, reinstalled OneCare but first removed the original laptop install from the hub's list.  Now the laptop won't show up in the hubs list and there does not appear to be anyway to add it.

I can't believe such a problem has existed since the beginning of the hub feature.

How can I get the new client to show up on the hub's list?  It's sounding like the only way is to uninstall OneCare and reinstall it ... that can not possibly be right!

DWalker59b wrote:

I thought that I would be able to drop the laptop from the circle and re-add it. 

Having to completely reinstall OneCare on the laptop in order to get it re-added to the circle is a disaster, from a software-design-and-usability standpoint.  Just my opinion, having been a programmer for 40 years......

The software needs to be friendlier.

Friday, April 25, 2008 2:33 PM
  • If you activated OneCare on the laptop after the reinstall and the removal of the laptop from the subscription on the hub happened before you reinstalled and activated on the laptop, it should appear in the Hub's list if the laptop and the hub are communicating with the OneCare servers and subsequently with each other.

All PCs must be on the same LiveID/Subscription. They must be using the same type of subscription, so if one PC were using a beta version and the other a subscribed, paid version, they won't be in the same Circle.

There have been a few reported cases where something caused a disconnect in this process and the hub did not reflect the Circle properly. If that is the situation you are in, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, April 25, 2008 3:05 PM
  • OK ... one more time with lots of detail.

I have 3 computers.  They all have been using OneCare since the first beta outside MS.  When OneCare 2.0 beta was available, I started using that version.  All PCs have been part of the same circle using the same Activation ID.

All three computers are on the OneCare Perpetual beta using the latest build 2.5xxxx

Yesterday, I rebuilt my laptop, and this morning, added the latest OneCare beta. 

Before activating it, I deleted the original laptop Circle install from the hub.  I then activated the rebuilt latop's OneCare installation.  It activated fine.  It is using the same LiveID as the other circle PC and the hub PC.

It is NOT showing up on the hub PCs list of circle PCs.

How do I re-add / re-activate it show it will show up on the hub PC?

Stephen Boots wrote:

If you activated OneCare on the laptop after the reinstall and the removal of the laptop from the subscription on the hub happened before you reinstalled and activated on the laptop, it should appear in the Hub's list if the laptop and the hub are communicating with the OneCare servers and subsequently with each other.

All PCs must be on the same LiveID/Subscription. They must be using the same type of subscription, so if one PC were using a beta version and the other a subscribed, paid version, they won't be in the same Circle.

There have been a few reported cases where something caused a disconnect in this process and the hub did not reflect the Circle properly. If that is the situation you are in, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, April 25, 2008 3:13 PM
  • If you are on the Perpetual Beta, you have access to the private newsgroup via Connect and should *not* be here for issues encountered.

Further, if you are using the Perpetual beta, it is currently the same build as the subscriber/public version - 2.0.x

If you download and installed 2.5 to the laptop, it is the public beta and is *not* talking to the same back end environment and can never be part of a Circle with a Perpetual client or a Paid client - that's 3 different environments.

So, if the other 2 machines are part of a Circle, you need to determine what environment that they belong to - Perpetual or Paid subscription. Then, the download for the laptop needs to come from the same source.

For reference, it is a good idea to use a *different* LiveID for a paid subscription, a beta subscription, and a Perpetual subscription.

-steve

Friday, April 25, 2008 3:40 PM