none
Can't validate Windows

Question

• Hello. Okay, here is my problem. A few minutes ago I uninstalled McAfee Security Center. It said to restart the computer, which I did. However, this is what came up when I tried to log on again. I had to click on go online option to post here otherwise the computer just keeps restarting by itself. First is the error pop up which was this. I had to copy it down on paper.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    An unauthorized change was made to Windows
    - You will no longer receive notifications, including those about your license or activation. Use the link below to find out how to fix your system.
    - Learn more online
    Details - Error: 0xC004D401
    Description: The security processor reported a system file mismatch error.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

I clicked on Learn more online, and this came up.

-------------------------------------------

Windows Vista Genuine Validation Results

This copy of Windows did not pass genuine validation.

A software program installed on this computer may be incompatible with Windows Vista.

Recommended Solution

Update or uninstall incompatible software

This issue may be caused by hardware or software problems. The most common cause of this error is an installed software program that is incompatible with Windows Vista.

1. Determine if you have incompatible software

For the latest information on compatibility issues, see knowledge base article # 931699 . At this time, the following applications are known to have compatibility issues:

• Blumentals Software iNET Protector (all versions).
      • PC Tools Spyware Doctor (versions earlier than 4.0).
      • Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security (versions earlier than 14.56).
      • Trend Micro OfficeScan (versions earlier than 8.0).
      • TuneUp Utilities (versions released earlier than 2007).
      • A game with nProtect GameGuard protection from INCA Internet Co., LTD. A game that uses nProtect GameGuard shows a GameGuard splash screen when you start the game. You can keep your application installed and restart the computer after this problem occurs to clear the state temporarily; however, the problem may reoccur.
    2. Update or uninstall incompatible software

If you have any incompatible applications installed, check with the software manufacturer for updates. If there are no updates available, use one of the procedures below to uninstall the incompatible software. Print the steps below if you plan to uninstall in safe mode. If there are no known issues with software already installed on your computer, you may need to remove recently installed software to resolve the problem.

Uninstalling programs

1. Click the Start button, click Control Panel , click Programs , and then click Programs and Features .
      2. Select a program, and then click Uninstall .
      3. Follow the directions on the screen to uninstall the program.

Uninstalling in safe mode

1. Restart the computer.
      2. Press F8 before Windows Vista starts.
      3. Press ENTER to start Windows Vista in safe mode.
      4. Click Start , and then type appwiz.cpl in the Start Search box.
      5. Click appwiz.cpl in the Programs list.
      6. Click the name of the program that you want to uninstall, and then click Uninstall .
      7. Follow the directions on the screen to uninstall the program.
      8. Restart the computer in normal mode.
    3. Validate Windows again

After updating or uninstalling potentially incompatible software, validate Windows again by going to http://www.Microsoft.com/genuine and clicking Validate Windows .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I can not see the start button, or anything on the desktop at all. I don't think the recommended solution would help because I UNINSTALLED a program. I tried validating Windows again and it was the same result. Maybe I need to install McAfee again? But it came with the computer, so I have no idea of what to do. Please help me. Thanks..
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 3:23 PM

Answers

• Hello toast42,

Vista's anti-piracy looks after most of Vista's system file to ensure they don't get modified without permissions. If they are modified, Vista gives a " unauthorized change was made..." message (also known as a 'File Mismatch' or 'Mod-Auth'). 

From your description ( system restore doesn't work in safe mode because it says the drive is corrupt, chkdsk not working, so on) it sounds like there is file corruption occuring on your computer (maybe a Virus, or a Hard drive beginning to fail or something else that could corrupt files) and this file corruption is what is "modifying" Vista's system files, which is what is leading to the Non-Genuine errors.

Unfortunatly, it looks like your non-genuine issue is just a symtom of a larger File Corruption problem. 

I can't think of anything that might help (that you haven't already tried) except for reinstalling, but you may want to go to the Vista Answers Forums (http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsvista) and see if they can come up with any alternatives for you or contact Vista support at http://support.microsoft.com for additional support.

Sorry I couldn't be more help,
    Darin MS
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 8:00 PM

All replies

• MGADT results.

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0011.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid License
    Validation Code: 50

Cached Validation Code: N/A, hr = 0xc004d401
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-*****-*****-*****
    Windows Product Key Hash: EYIpz/47G03lWRAOmk3kg+lR7Rc=
    Windows Product ID: 89578-OEM-7332157-00141
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 6.0.6001.2.00010300.1.0.003
    ID: {B7DD9CE4-13AA-4A2A-AF3E-A6D5285F6DC2}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium
    Architecture: 0x00000000
    Build lab: 6001.longhorn_rtm.080118-1840
    TTS Error: M:20090725105445729-
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 114 Blocked VLK 2
    Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 - 114 Blocked VLK 2
    Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 - 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-364-80041010_025D1FF3-229-80041010_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-517-80040154_025D1FF3-237-80040154_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-244-80070002_025D1FF3-258-3_E2AD56EA-765-d003_E2AD56EA-766-0_E2AD56EA-134-80004005

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{B7DD9CE4-13AA-4A2A-AF3E-A6D5285F6DC2}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0011.0</Version><OS>6.0.6001.2.00010300.1.0.003</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-DR9M6</PKey><PID>89578-OEM-7332157-00141</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-637420621-908585155-2948939581</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Gateway</Manufacturer><Model>T5234</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>6.00 PG</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20070711000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>D6303507018400F8</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM><OEMID>GATEWA</OEMID><OEMTableID>SYSTEM  </OEMTableID></OEM><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>59D1605114E3500</Val><Hash>vfZmaSmFPIYrLWTcZSZErUQg+Fo=</Hash><Pid>73931-640-0000106-57587</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product><Product GUID="{91120000-002F-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007</Name><Ver>12</Ver><Val>1A538478ACE2C4</Val><Hash>7HCxkJgqx044pNRrEtX4/LRMvy4=</Hash><Pid>81602-354-2526571-68102</Pid><PidType>10</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="16" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="18" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="19" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="1A" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="1B" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="44" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="16" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="18" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="1B" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="A1" Version="12" Result="100"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Spsys.log Content: U1BMRwEAAAAAAQAABAAAAOUGAAAAAAAAYWECAOjAxZiN9IXZNw3KARhy9171jCizkdIEkQaJZ67x/NTH3hrvMlfs0haJcnQpaG1fGICsVWWOu5QFRJFZiefDvX0zCybmDilyQLttVIyArBXFV/RSq2Lz6Dn6eZE9sEGnmR0ReJ9KlWCJouxq6PAIwHwHVMfvNauSbFvmaTBgAm18BkdJTE0EGACwl7dV9S/GUDYecePFRKM/leS97bxOVVm9fICZUkfHdDNbo72qUqYYmAlRJO05+WV1r70w2O6Pl99gqTnSYR4j0FashTOQ1ifb1stzrqx+w3WNaAwzkNYn29bLc66sfsN1jWgMM5DWJ9vWy3OurH7DdY1oDDOQ1ifb1stzrqx+w3WNaAw=

Licensing Data-->

HWID Data-->
    HWID Hash Current: OAAAAAIAAwABAAEAAgABAAAAAwABAAEAJJTMIgQSOcpeRmoqkgDgA6q0KVHy9ALX2husVjnwyPQ=

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    BIOS valid for OA 2.0: yes
    Windows marker version: 0x20000
    OEMID and OEMTableID Consistent: yes
    BIOS Information:
      ACPI Table Name    OEMID Value    OEMTableID Value
      APIC            GATEWA        SYSTEM 
      FACP            GATEWA        SYSTEM 
      HPET            GATEWA        SYSTEM 
      MCFG            GATEWA        SYSTEM 
      SSDT            PTLTD         POWERNOW
      SLIC            GATEWA        SYSTEM 

-----------------------------------

Edit: 11:46, Okay, this is really confusing. I went into safe mode just to see if McAfee was still there in the programs list and it wasn't. I thought about system restore but then just decided to reboot. Then no errors came up, and everything seems normal as before. o_o
    • Edited by toast42 Saturday, July 25, 2009 4:41 PM
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 3:31 PM
  • Hi toast42,

OK, it sounds like your issue is resolved.

On a side note: I just noticed that you are running Vista without any of it's Service Packs. If possible, I recommend updating up to Service Pack 2. 0xC004D401 type issue will not (can not) occure once SP2 is installed.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    Monday, July 27, 2009 5:55 PM
  • Thanks for help Darin Smith MS . However, another problem appeared. After my last post, everything was fine for the most part. Today, I got a BSOD while a file was being downloaded. This has happened before, so I just rebooted. Then I got the message
    'Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.' I ran the 'start up repair' option a few times but it did nothing. Then I went into safe mode, and restarted. After that, I got the message 'An unauthorized change was made to Windows', and again chose the go online option to where I am now. There were some other errors which I wasn't able to record. One was something along the lines of

c0000102 {corrupt file}
    ..file or directory C:\$Mft is corrupt and unreadable
    Please run the the chkdsk utility.

Do you know what the chkdsk utility is and how to run it? I am thinking of just backing up my important data in safe mode and maybe reinstalling windows but will wait to see if the issue can be resolved.

Another thing to note is that I removed some malware yesterday with Anti-Malware bytes but I think that was just an isolated incident and has nothing to do with the primary problem. Thanks.

-------------------------------
    This is what the Windows Validation now says...

Windows Vista Genuine Validation Results

This copy of Windows did not pass genuine validation.

Either an unauthorized change was made to your Windows license or a software program installed on this computer is not currently compatible with Windows Vista.

Recommended Solution

1. Restart the Software Licensing service.
      • Click the Start button, click All Programs , click Accessories , right-click Command Prompt , and then choose Run as administrator . The Command Prompt window opens.
      • In the Command Prompt window, type the command net start slsvc and then press ENTER.
      • When the message "Software Licensing service was started" appears, close Command Prompt window.
      • Validate your copy of Windows again by going to http://www.Microsoft.com/genuine and clicking Validate Windows .
    2. If Windows validation still fails after restarting the Software Licensing service, then try repairing the corrupted file with Disk Cleanup. The Disk Cleanup process will handle finding the files and prompting to repair them.
      • For the latest information on compatibility issues, visit the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Forum (English Only) or Windows Vista Newsgroups . A solution for known compatibility issues may be available from Microsoft or from the software vendor.
      • If there are no known issues with software already installed on your computer, it may be necessary to remove any recently installed software (including Microsoft updates) in order to resolve the problem. To uninstall programs, open Programs and Features by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Programs , and then clicking Programs and Features . Select a program, and then click Uninstall .
      • After updating or uninstalling potentially incompatible software, validate Windows again by going to http://www.Microsoft.com/genuine and clicking Validate Windows .
      • ----------------------------------------------------------
      • some other notes(ignore the circles)
      • - In safe mode, I can't do net start slsvc. Also system restore doesn't work in safe mode because it says the drive is corrupt? I tried running chkdsk and it closed by itself while looking through the files.

• Edited by toast42 Monday, July 27, 2009 8:03 PM
    Monday, July 27, 2009 7:21 PM
  • Hello toast42,

Vista's anti-piracy looks after most of Vista's system file to ensure they don't get modified without permissions. If they are modified, Vista gives a " unauthorized change was made..." message (also known as a 'File Mismatch' or 'Mod-Auth'). 

From your description ( system restore doesn't work in safe mode because it says the drive is corrupt, chkdsk not working, so on) it sounds like there is file corruption occuring on your computer (maybe a Virus, or a Hard drive beginning to fail or something else that could corrupt files) and this file corruption is what is "modifying" Vista's system files, which is what is leading to the Non-Genuine errors.

Unfortunatly, it looks like your non-genuine issue is just a symtom of a larger File Corruption problem. 

I can't think of anything that might help (that you haven't already tried) except for reinstalling, but you may want to go to the Vista Answers Forums (http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsvista) and see if they can come up with any alternatives for you or contact Vista support at http://support.microsoft.com for additional support.

Sorry I couldn't be more help,
    Darin MS
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 8:00 PM