A workflow that worked in CRM 4.0 that only sometimes works in CRM 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.  I have a workflow that when an opportunity closes as being won it immediately assigns a task to a CRM user and send an email to multiple CRM users.

In CRM 4.0 this worked.

In CRM 2011, it works sometimes and does not work other times.  I wish it always worked or always failed.

When it does not work it gets stuck on trying to send out an email which seems to put the workflow into a wait state.

If I drill down into System Jobs for a workflow that is stuck what I will see the email that I was trying to send and at the top there is a yellow bar and inside the yellow bar is the message "This message is not yet submitted for delivery"

By googling this message I see that when others got this message it had to do with the email router configuration but I was unclear what needed to be set and I did not see anyone who had the situation of it sometimes working and sometimes not working.

I know that there were issues when we did the CRM 4.0 to CRM 2011 upgrade last week where we needed to get Microsoft support involve to assist with the configuration of the email router.  It was have problems receiving emails but could send.

I would appreciate any ideas that anyone who has seen this issue might have.

I suspect that we may need to get Microsoft support involved again.

Thanks.

Rick Bellefond
    RB Data Services
    www.rbdata.comb

Rick Bellefond RB Data Services www.rbdata.com
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 11:45 PM

Answers

• Perhaps the intermittent behaviour is occuring because the issue is with the e-mail settings for a particular user or users. So, when an e-mail gets generated that involves the "problem" user the e-mail can't get sent.

Things to check are the Outgoing E-mail setting on the user record for all users. Since you have the e-mail router installed then everyone should be set to e-mail router. Also check that all users have an e-mail address on their record and that there e-mail address has been approved. Click the Approve button on the user record.

Then run the E-mail Configuration manager and check that all users show up in the Users, Queues tab and that the test succeeds. Finally, click the Publish button before closing the E-mail Configuration Manager.

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 7:20 AM

All replies

• Hi Rick,

It looks like the issue is in email router configuration. Have you tried to to send an email from the CRM Web App rather than the workflow? Do you see the same intermittent issue there too?

Thanks,

Monday, October 17, 2011 5:52 PM
  • Perhaps the intermittent behaviour is occuring because the issue is with the e-mail settings for a particular user or users. So, when an e-mail gets generated that involves the "problem" user the e-mail can't get sent.

Things to check are the Outgoing E-mail setting on the user record for all users. Since you have the e-mail router installed then everyone should be set to e-mail router. Also check that all users have an e-mail address on their record and that there e-mail address has been approved. Click the Approve button on the user record.

Then run the E-mail Configuration manager and check that all users show up in the Users, Queues tab and that the test succeeds. Finally, click the Publish button before closing the E-mail Configuration Manager.

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 7:20 AM
  • Hi Mesganaw,

First of all thanks for responding.

Yes, the problem was a setting in the email router.

It now seems to be working fine.

Thanks again

Rick

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 3:21 AM
  • Hi Feridun,

First of all thanks for responding.

Yes, the problem was a setting in the email router and also a setting in the outgoing email for a few of the users.

It now seems to be working fine.

Thanks again

Rick

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 3:23 AM
  • Glad that it worked for you.
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 7:10 AM
  • Thanks for your help.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 11:50 AM