none
Remote Desktop Connection with Windows Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Windows Home Server and connecting to it through Windows XP machines in the house. I have no problem connecting to the home server machine but I don't "see" whatever is running on the home server. I believe a new session is created and I am forced to run the applications again, which of course some will not allow this to happen.

Is there any way to see and control exactly whatever is running on the home server when I connect via remote desktop?

Thanks
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 2:23 PM

All replies

• Could you be more specific about how you're connecting, how you've started the software you want to reconnect to, etc.?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 2:33 PM
  • I am connected to the windows home server machine through remote desktop connection. Lets say I go directly to the windows home server machine a run media server program. Then I connect to the home server through remote desktop connection and I can't see the media server program. If I try to run it from the remote desktop it gives me a error that the program is already running and I need to close the program running already.

Makes sense?

Saturday, September 12, 2009 4:06 PM
  • I see. What you're doing is unsupported, of course (remote desktop, running software on WHS other than through the console, etc.).

That said, in order to get access to the software that you started while logged in physically, you will need to connect to the console session using remote desktop. You can do that by using the /console or /admin parameter when starting the remote desktop client (the parameter depends on which version of the client you have installed).
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 4:15 PM
  • Interesting. If my server was running Windows XP , I would  not have this problem. Anything running on the Window XP sever would be visible when I connect via remote desktop. Why is it different on Windows home server?

also where do I type in those commands: /console or /admin?

thanks

Saturday, September 12, 2009 5:37 PM
  • XP vs. Windows Home Server: Windows Home Server is based on Windows Server 2003. The Remote Desktop mode it uses is called "Remote Desktop for Administration", and it's (licensed, not practical) use is limited to administration of the server. That would not include running media software, for example, which is in effect using your server as a desktop machine. I doubt Microsoft is going to send their lawyers out to hunt you down over it, but consider yourself warned. Anyway, Remote Desktop for Administration supports two simultaneous connecitons, plus one console connection.

When you start the remote desktop client software on your XP or Vista machine you will start it with the additional parameter /console or /admin . Then you will connect to your server as usual.
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 6:55 PM
  • When I start my remote desktop client software, i simply click the quick launch, how do I start it with the additional parameter /console or /admin?

Also it possible to connect via the web interface to my home server and see exactly what is  running on the machine?

thanks.

Tuesday, September 15, 2009 11:57 PM
  • When I start my remote desktop client software, i simply click the quick launch, how do I start it with the additional parameter /console or /admin?

You need to open it through a Run box, then type the full command (either mstsc /console or mstsc /admin, depending on which OS you're using).

Also it possible to connect via the web interface to my home server and see exactly what is  running on the machine?

thanks.
    It's unsupported, but yes it can be done.  You can forward port 3389 from your router to your server IP address.  There is an add-in that does that (I think it's Advanced Admin Console, but I could be wrong.).  And you can modify the rdpload.aspx file on the server to change the Console view through the website to the actual server desktop.
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 1:46 AM
  • No need to modify the rdpload.aspx, you can also get the desktop with the following (of course also unsupported) method:
    If you really would like to get Remote Desktop instead of the console, you can do it by following these steps (also unsupported and may not work after future updates of WHS, but easy to revert):
    • Login to your server.
    • In Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools select Terminal Services Configuration.
    • Right click RDP-Tcp and select Properties.
    • Select the Environment tab and click Start the following program when the user logs on. enter %windir%\explorer.exeEnter a path of your choice in the Start in field, i.e C:\.
    • In Program path and file name
    Attention! This change will also connect your Connector directly to the desktop, but from here you can still run the console.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 9:13 AM