none
Can't login to original account RRS feed

• Question

• I had an account linked to this email adress on which I used to post things, now whenever I login with this email adress I'm not logged in to that account and had to make a new one :S 
    How can I login to my old account again? 
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 10:50 AM

Answers

All replies

• Do you have the display name tied to that other account?
    Community Forums Program Manager
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 9:06 PM
    Answerer
  • My old display name is tied to this account :S
    (I meant old display name, only used one email adress)

Thursday, August 4, 2011 10:04 PM
  • The forums system has a few key concepts for communicating about log ins etc.  First, there is the notion of a Windows LiveID, this is essentially the username you sign into windows live with. This ID is associated to a Forums Profile, when you first signed in to participate in forums. The Forums Profile has a unique string we call the display name, in this case it is Dylan_Meeus. When you say you had an 'account' linked to this email address, that is difficult to digest. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by account, do you mean your live id?  And explaining you had an account linked to 'this email address on which I post things' is hard to understand because I don't now what is meant by 'this email address'.

Can you explain things in terms of Windows Live ID and Forums Profile, this would help us.

Friday, August 5, 2011 12:25 AM
    Answerer
  • Yes I'm sorry for not being clear about this.

My original forum name was Dylan Meeus -> linked to dylanmeeus@gmail.com
    However when I tried to log in this morning it said I didn't have a forum profile so I made this one Dylan_Meeus :)
    Now this is one is linked to dylanmeeus@gmail.com and I wonder where the original Dylan Meeus went.

Thank you 
    Friday, August 5, 2011 12:36 AM
  • Got it, so from your side the same Live ID used to be tied to Dylan Meeus profile, but now you had to for some reason tie it to a new Dylan_Meeus.  That is strange.  If we had some obvious bug I would expect this to be happening to a lot of people. The code that checks "does this user have a profile" uses a PUID (a cryptic auth ID).  Your record has two different PUIDs in our database which usually means two different user ids. Is it possible your old account was created with a different liveID other than the one mentioned above?

Friday, August 5, 2011 1:23 AM
    Answerer
  • I only use this email account & have  done so for ages so I don't see how this would be the problem, I'm sorry for the trouble.
    Friday, August 5, 2011 1:46 AM
  • Dylan_Meeus is tied to dylanmeeus at gmail.com

Dylan Meeus is tied to mirandavandeput at hotmail.com

Does the mirandavandeput liveid sound familiar?

Friday, August 5, 2011 4:54 PM
    Answerer