OC freezing up my system on a regular basis. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Folks,

I was wondering if anybody else had this same issue & might know what the problem is & the solution.  On my main PC when I am running OC my system will freeze/lockup on about an average of once every 3 days.  It wouldn't be any particular software program that would cause the freeze.   From reading other message about freezing, I decided to slowly swap out the most common causing hardware  (Motherboard, ram, cpu, powersupply).   After I had done this, my system with the new parts & new Windows Xp installation would still freeze up.   This was happening on the 1.6 released version & then again on the 2.0 beta.

Whats funny is that I put the old parts into a 2nd system & I have OC running on that system & there hasn't been any issues.   At one time OC did run fine on my main pc, until I believe when I upgraded my 300 sata HD to a 500 sata 2 (being ran as Sata 1), but even after I did that, it ran fine for a while.

After each lockup I would go & look at the system log & the event viewer to see what was going around the time of the freeze, but I wouldn't find anything that happened right around that time.  It would have been like an hour or two before.

What had made me think that OC is causing my issue is that I decided to uninstall OC & install another product to see if it would freeze up & so far I haven't had any freezing issues.    The only thing that I can think of, is that my system had no issues on the release at the time when 1.0 went public, but didn't like it when it went to 1.5/1.6

Anybody have any suggestions ?  

Thanks

Saturday, September 1, 2007 5:06 PM

Answers

• I am running Vista Ultimate - 2Gig RAM.

After a few days OC starts running away with my memory until the system hangs - only a power off reboot works.

I uninstalled and fell back to1.6 - no problems.

I waited a week for a refresh and re-installed - same problem

My Vista Home Prem and XP-Pro boxes are fine with 2.0

This was a hub machine

I opened a bug report but have heard nothing - I included system logs with submission

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 10:44 PM

All replies

• Hi Choli,

Which OS are you using on that system? XP or Vista?

Thanks

Neeraj

Monday, September 3, 2007 8:48 PM
  • I am using Windows XP SP 2 Professional Edition.  
    Monday, September 3, 2007 9:22 PM
  • Hi, Choli.

I suspect that Neeraj will be back to see your reply in the near future, but in the meantime, I'd suggest both contacting support and filing a bug. You may have something conflicting with OneCare if it is locking up your system. The most common causes would be a conflicting security program or process, perhaps even an antispyware program that offers real time protection.

http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2 -use the "Get More Help" link in the lower right of the page to contact support via email.

To file a bug on Connect:  https://connect.microsoft.com/site/sitehome.aspx?SiteID=168

See the Bug Submission Guide - http://connect.microsoft.com/content/content.aspx?ContentID=3480&SiteID=168 - for details on how to create and submit the Support Log zip file with your bug.

-steve

Monday, September 10, 2007 4:37 PM
  • I am running Vista Ultimate - 2Gig RAM.

After a few days OC starts running away with my memory until the system hangs - only a power off reboot works.

I uninstalled and fell back to1.6 - no problems.

I waited a week for a refresh and re-installed - same problem

My Vista Home Prem and XP-Pro boxes are fine with 2.0

This was a hub machine

I opened a bug report but have heard nothing - I included system logs with submission

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 10:44 PM
  • Thanks for filing the report with the logs. You may not hear back. The only time I would expect to hear back would be if more information is needed. If they find something that is a bug in OneCare, they will add it to the list for being fixed ASAP.

-steve

Thursday, September 13, 2007 12:50 AM
  • Not sure if this is related but my system has been experiencing lock-ups related to my SATA drives since I installed Beta 2. Typically, the drives will click and freeze for 1-3 minutes, suspending all activity on my screen. Then, they will start spinning again and things will proceed normally until the next freeze which could be 1 minute or 30 minutes later. I've tried changing SATA ports, but the problem persists. I have an ASUS K8N-E deluxe with and AMD CPU and 2 Gig RAM. Running Vista.

I'm tempted to replace my motherboard, but, the OC connection is a tempting one.

rmoore

Friday, September 21, 2007 5:22 AM
  • If you uninstall OneCare, does the problem go away? If so, I'd file a bug - 

https://connect.microsoft.com/site/sitehome.aspx?SiteID=168

See the Bug Submission Guide - http://connect.microsoft.com/content/content.aspx?ContentID=3480&SiteID=168 - for details on how to create and submit the Support Log zip file with your bug.

If it persists after OneCare has been removed, I'm thinking it isn't due to OneCare, but perhaps a drive or controller issue.

-steve

Friday, September 21, 2007 5:29 PM