none
Poor support for searching

Question

• One of the functions of these forums is supposed to be the ability to search for posts.  The current method is mostly useless.

I use WPF and since for some reason the sort of results shows the oldest posts first it would take me about a day to scroll thru results to get something that is answered using  the current version of WPF.   Posts from 2007 are pretty much useless.

Is there any reason to hope that MS might make the forum search useful?

Lloyd Sheen

Thursday, January 19, 2017 5:14 PM

All replies

• After you run search the sort at top defaults to Relevance. You can change the sort option to Most recent ..... Yes the search within forums sucks. You can also use google or bing similar to;

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=system+update+readiness+%22dave+patrick%22+site:social.technet.microsoft.com&tbs=qdr:y

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Naomi NModerator Thursday, January 19, 2017 5:32 PM
    • Marked as answer by sqlguy Thursday, January 19, 2017 5:53 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by sqlguy Thursday, January 19, 2017 5:56 PM
    Thursday, January 19, 2017 5:28 PM
  • Thanks had not noticed that .  The problem is that it does seem to sort but after the sort the filter (search) is lost.  I am getting mostly posts which do no include the search terms.

Lloyd Sheen

• Edited by sqlguy Thursday, January 19, 2017 5:57 PM
    Thursday, January 19, 2017 5:53 PM
  • Search is limited to AND OR Boolean type search. That's all there is.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, January 19, 2017 6:11 PM
  • I find the more search terms the worse the results. You need to only search on a few key words that won't be confused with other topics, then possibly sort by most recent.

Worse, I often find that after reviewing a link in the results, when I go back, the search refreshes with different results. I can't find the next link I wanted to check, or I lose my place.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Thursday, January 19, 2017 6:25 PM
  • With the search in the sorry state it is in I really think you should remove that from the interface so people don't waste as much time as I have trying to get this to work.

Lloyd Sheen

Thursday, January 19, 2017 6:29 PM