MSDN needs Moderators to moderate the Moderators. RRS feed

• Question

• MSDN needs Moderators to moderate the Moderators.

This post is mark "Answered" but no answer was given. Just a long "speech" about multiposting. Why pick on this Guy, many do the same thing.

When people register to these forum, that's the time to tell them the rules and don't make it 3 page long, they won't read it.

Link:

name v/s namelocal vba

This one was mark "Answered" by telling the OP to use the recorder. Really!!!

Three guys and not one can read. "The column is dynamic."

Link:

How to select entire column in Excel by custom column header using VBA.

You say "Suggestions for improvements"

Improvements in sending people away!!! You're doing a good job at it.

How many more post like these two?

I don't think I want to know.

Cimjet

Friday, July 24, 2015 2:28 PM

All replies

• Hello,

In neither case do I see a problem with thw marked answers, and apparently neither did the OP, as the answers were not unmarked as answers.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Friday, July 24, 2015 9:04 PM
  • Actually, in the first case the link is now dead (removed from StackOverflow) :( It could have been better if that person gave a brief quote from that answer. Right now that original thread has no answer and the link is dead.

I understand that at the time of the response the link worked and provided good info, but unfortunately now this thread has very little value and the current answer is not the answer to OP's question.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Friday, July 24, 2015 9:30 PM
  • Hi Naomi,

Well, yeah, but when an answer is marked, we as moderators cannot guarantee that the answer is valid in the future.

Sure, the responder could have quoted the stack overflow post a bit, but that's still not necessarily going to be accurate several years out.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Friday, July 24, 2015 10:34 PM
  • I agree. I just got slightly curious about the actual answer to that question (not curious enough to do an actual research but curious to see the answer). Unfortunately, I am unable to satisfy my curiosity.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Saturday, July 25, 2015 12:07 AM
  • I agree. I just got slightly curious about the actual answer to that question (not curious enough to do an actual research but curious to see the answer). Unfortunately, I am unable to satisfy my curiosity.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Hi Naomi,

I admit I got curious too, but not curious to keep looking :)

Karl

Wednesday, September 2, 2015 2:26 PM
  • Hello,

If you would have read the whole reply instead of focusing on the question about the google toolbar, you would have seen that the respondent CLEARLY says the OP is in the wrong forum regardless of the toolbar issue. THAT was most likely why the post was marked as an answer.

If you were the original poster, you could Unmark the answer.

Karl

Monday, September 21, 2015 2:38 PM
  • Do you really think that someone asking where an HP driver is should not ask HP?

Karl

Monday, September 21, 2015 2:40 PM
  • Take a look at this.

1. A person posted a developer bug-question here in this reportabug forum.   Developer question.  Bug.  Right name, wrong forum.
    2. A moderator replies with a link to consumer answers.microsoft.com.  Worse, it's just a landing page with 4 stickies, nothing else.
    3. Next, another moderator   ahem   Proposes Answer that useless first reply.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/04fa18a7-f529-4fee-ae43-1e1da0481c18/stop-javascript-event-on-microsoft-edge

I can't wait to see which moderator puts the final "answer' mark on it.

Why not just add a post to that thread suggesting where you think it would be appropriate to ask then? I post alternate forum suggestions all the time, as I feel that it can't hurt to have multiple options to choose from. A simple 'Or here: <link>' is generally all I do.

I'd have proposed that link as the answer myself too (I was wondering if I had and you were complaining about me this time [even though I'm not a moderator in the suggest forum]), simply because I don't know of any Edge-specific forums here. If I had to point to a MSDN/TechNet forum rather than Answers, I guess it would just be the vanilla IE dev forum (or SO, but that's a whole other can of worms as I usually avoid pushing people to non-MSFT forums). I'm not familiar with it, as IE is out of my area of knowledge. Based on the threads you've pointed out from that forum over the years though, I would expect the general response to an Edge question to be something along the lines of 'GTFO, this forum is for IE and not Edge.'

Just a thought. Feel free to disregard it.

Friday, November 20, 2015 1:39 PM
  • 1) Nowhere does the OP suggest this is a developer-bug question.

2) The link is to the Microsoft Answers forum, which is the only thing you are correct about. The Answers forum for Edge is now http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-msedge, however the "landing" page with 4 stickies clearly shows that "Looking for forum support for Microsoft Edge?"

3) Since the OP did not say that this is a develop question I proposed Dave's reply as an answer.

You are NOT the OP, or you could un propose and provide information on what the real question is.

Most Moderators are freely giving their time to help people. You on the other hand see like you have nothing better to do that troll the forums looking to cause trouble.

If you think you know a better forum for the OP's post, follos Mike's advice and suggest it.

I may even propose your suggestion as an answer.

Karl

Friday, November 20, 2015 3:07 PM
  • Yes, Mike.  To repeat your acronym, that first moderator's reply was a 'GTFO'.

IMHO, I really don't see it that way. I don't read any malice in the suggestion, or anything along those lines. Just a simple nudge in another direction. I've made more than a few very similar looking posts too, so perhaps I'm biased towards the brevity.

And the 2nd moderator's Propose Answer to it illustrated the same lack of scruples that we see him demonstrate in this present thread, repeatedly, above.

Again IMHO, I just don't see this and I think you might be reading waaay to much into these types of 'propose as answer' clicks. It boils down to this:

1. OP posts in the incorrect forum.

2. Since the OP has posted in the incorrect forum, the people seeing the thread may not be deeply familiar with the content of the post.

3. Whoever responds suggests an alternate forum to post in, to the best of their knowledge. I believe this is the correct course of action, instead of leaving the OP completely stranded in whatever offtopic forum their thread landed in.

4. Someone else sees the post, and clicks the propose link if they agree with the suggestion (again taking into account that we are not all familiar with all technologies and may get things wrong from time to time).

It's one thing to be proposing complete hogwash as an answer, which does happen in live forums and should be called out. But these types of threads in these particular forums are a totally different beast. That's why I just add an alternate forum suggestion if I happen to have one.

Maybe I should have left this thread where it was, the final post dangling with no replies:

" Is it forum policy here to pass off lies to close a thread? "

If you really want an opinion on this, I'll give you (completely unofficial, you know for a fact that barely any MSFT personnel even looks at these forums any longer) one. It all depends on which forum you're talking about. Some of them - maybe it could be seen that way, but not out of maliciousness. More laziness or lack of subject knowledge, in my opinion. Some others - absolutely not. Lets put it this way - one of the forums I frequent is 100% community moderated. They run a tight ship there with a very high signal to noise ratio. Others... not so much. Especially when the eventual CSG rotation happens and the CSG you've been used to seeing for the past few months disappears and is replaced by someone new who doesn't know the ropes yet. This isn't a knock on CSGs, as we all need to remember what it's like when you're new and don't know your way around yet.

That's about all I have to say on these subjects, again all just my opinion, so I'll likely just leave this thread alone for now.

Friday, November 20, 2015 3:46 PM
  • Do you think this was a lie, Mike?

I've opened a feedback to ticket to the site feedback link.

I doubt that's a lie as the Site feedback link works fine for me

Do you think this was a lie, Mike?

1) Nowhere does the OP suggest this is a developer-bug question.

That's not a lie. Nowhere did he or she say "I am creating a program that does such and such" or anything along those lines.

Perhaps the link the OP provided has more information, however I do not click links to offsite hosts.

Again, you seem to be bent out of shape because you have a problem with moderators. I'd highly recommend you communicate with fissues AT Microsoft DOT com if you think you have a case against us.

Otherwise, perhaps you should try to be part of the solution instead of the problem.

Karl

Friday, November 20, 2015 9:30 PM
  • Somebody has their definitions reversed.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/cad7fabc-a9f5-45c4-afa0-9e7122a24a8a/pdf-file-extension-being-stripped-from-download-internet-explorer-also-certain-sites-not-loading

What is this supposed to mean?

Karl

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 2:57 PM
  • It means, among four moderators and one administrator who participated here, not one of you five have had the integrity to flag that MVP's dick epithet abusive. (let alone even acknowledge that entire post was incorrect babble that only repeated his first, and should not have been marked answer, particularly when the obviously correct answer is directly above it).

Nowhere in that thread is the word "Dick" even mentioned. Since you like to cause trouble though, I see that YOU have modified the link that Rob included in his reply from Richard's tips and retweets which points to Twitter to "Dick's tips and retweets" in your complaint.

And, I do not participate in the Internet Explorer 8, 9, 10, 11 forum, so I mark nothing.

Karl

Friday, December 4, 2015 2:57 PM