Storage Imbalances RRS feed

• Question

• I've a total of 3 disks... sys and two data discs of the same size.  Duplication is on for all.

One of the data disks says 86% and the other says 11%. 

Shouldn't they be the same??  If so.. how to correct?

Thanks.. D
    Monday, October 13, 2008 2:32 PM

Answers

• This is the normal behavior by design.
    One disk will be filled first up to 90%, and only duplicated folders are copied also to a second disk. Therefore balancing storage is a little bit irritating wording choice.
    If there are at least 3 disks in the system, the data partition on the primary disk will be kept free as long as possible.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, October 13, 2008 2:56 PM
  • If you don't have duplication turned on (for some or all shares) then if a disk fails, any files on that disk that are in non-duplicated shares will be lost. If you have duplication turned on, then nothing should be lost.

And yes, there may be data on the system disk. WHS tries to keep that disk clear (it won't use it for storage if there's room elsewhere), but WHS also doesn't move files around arbitarily; if there's a file on the system disk it won't be automatically moved off unless that disk runs out of space.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, October 13, 2008 3:51 PM

All replies

• This is the normal behavior by design.
    One disk will be filled first up to 90%, and only duplicated folders are copied also to a second disk. Therefore balancing storage is a little bit irritating wording choice.
    If there are at least 3 disks in the system, the data partition on the primary disk will be kept free as long as possible.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, October 13, 2008 2:56 PM
  • D,

If the technicalities interest you, then a read of the documentation available here, will explain the reasoning behind the storage utilisation.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Monday, October 13, 2008 3:07 PM
  • Hmm.. then if one disk has data the other doesn't... wouldn't that make replacing one of them result in loss of data?

Or, is there actually data on the sys disk?  I thought I'd read that, with 2 added disks, then the sys disk will only contain the os.

Confused a bit.  :-)
    Monday, October 13, 2008 3:08 PM
  • If you don't have duplication turned on (for some or all shares) then if a disk fails, any files on that disk that are in non-duplicated shares will be lost. If you have duplication turned on, then nothing should be lost.

And yes, there may be data on the system disk. WHS tries to keep that disk clear (it won't use it for storage if there's room elsewhere), but WHS also doesn't move files around arbitarily; if there's a file on the system disk it won't be automatically moved off unless that disk runs out of space.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, October 13, 2008 3:51 PM
  • Ken,

I have found that installing WHS Disk Management Add-in is one of the best add-ins for determining is duplication is occuring. Since the add-in shows the activity of each disk being reported by SMARTS, It is very easy to cycle folder duplication and see what disks are fillling up. The temperature option is nice to know too.

Just my two cents, it is nice to have a add-in which tells you the activity and temperature of your disks if they are SMART enabled.

later..
    Friday, October 17, 2008 8:37 PM