File Duplication: Two-Way Street? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm adding some more space to my server's WHS pool and want to fool around with turning file duplication on/off for various shares.

There are shares where duplication would be a nice-to-have, but by no means a necessity.   e.g. ripped DVD .iso files where I have the DVD and could re-rip if a drive went South.... but would rather not have to.

Question: Does turning duplication on/off work both ways?

i.e. I assume that when I turn it on, WHS will automagically create a copy of every existing file in the share - as opposed to waiting until a new file is added and just duplicating new files.

But, let's say that duplication one of the shares I choose kicks the brains out of my storage pool:  when I turn off duplication for that share will WHS dutifully seek out and delete all those copies it made?   Or does it just leave them in place and not create any more dupes for new files?
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 5:35 PM

Answers

• Question: Does turning duplication on/off work both ways?
    Yes it does. It needs some time, so be patient and give WHS some time to do the job.

LightsOut - Power Management for Windows Home Server http://www.home-server-blog.de/add-ins/lightsout/#en
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 7:27 PM

All replies

• As far as I understand it is if you turn on duplication, it duplicates everything in that folder, newly added or existing. And if you turn it off, it no longer keeps those duplicates. I believe it takes a while for the duplication to happen or for drive space to free up (like 24 hours) after it processes it.

But I'd rather hear from an expert as I'm delving into this whole thing fairly new as well. But learning a lot in the process.
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 6:21 PM
  • Question: Does turning duplication on/off work both ways?
    Yes it does. It needs some time, so be patient and give WHS some time to do the job.

LightsOut - Power Management for Windows Home Server http://www.home-server-blog.de/add-ins/lightsout/#en
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 7:27 PM