Illegal Windows Home Server 2011 after clean installation/updates RRS feed

• Question

• Now that there was no solution for my earlier problem (updates failed), I decided to do a clean installation of my Windows Home Server 2011 machine.

After install WHS2011 I installed the updates and patches that were shown in Windows Update.

Now I have two new problems:

1. Update KB3025390 fails to install (error 80246007). I found out that it has a relation with KB3008923. I tried to uninstall KB3008923 but it won't uninstall. How can I install KB3025390 or uninstall KB3008923.
    EDIT: it looks like this problem is solved. I don't know what did the trick but one of the updates/cleans/installs made a difference.

2. Windows keeps saying that I have an illegal version. (Not true: I have an official disk and activation code.) Also my desktopscreen is changed and in the right lower corner it now says:

Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard
    Build 7601
    This copy of Windows is not genuine

I tried a more than once to activate it online using Windows Actication Technologies (IE, Firefox, Chrome). Only using Firefox, I get a screen that Windows is being validated. I get the site saying that the validationservice is unavailable.
    I can't find any other way to validate Windows Home Server than online. Does anyone know what to change in IE so I can download the file in IE and use IE to validate?

• Edited by MNIIG Wednesday, January 7, 2015 6:11 PM
    Wednesday, January 7, 2015 3:57 PM

Answers

All replies

• From what I know about activation, it will fail if it is done too frequently (more than once every 30 days unless it's the same hardware as last time it was activated). Usually there is a method to call in to Microsoft and give your activation key to the automated system to activate as a last resort.

http://msdynamicswiki.com/2012/10/31/how-to-contact-a-microsoft-product-activation-center-by-telephone/

Mark Zellner

Thursday, January 8, 2015 1:39 AM
  • Thanks Mark,

I was looking for a way to validate by phone. In WHS there was only the online option.

When I look at the info from the system, it tells me I can register 2 times. I find it strange that the system keeps saying it's an illegal copy since there is no change in hardware. I tried the "slui.exe 4" command but that didn't give me the "Activate by Phone" window.

I finally found a solution:
    In the directory C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareProtectionPlatform there is a file named tokens.dat.
    I renamed it (tokens.bar) and did the online validation in Firefox. This time the result was an official copy of Windows and the message in the right bottem is gone.
    But,... when I look at the properties on My Computer, it says I need to activate within 30 days. I clicked the online validation button and the status changed in "Windows had been activated".

:-)

Thursday, January 8, 2015 8:19 PM
  • Did you install KB3004394? If installed, uninstall and monitor…

Run MGADiag tool http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Best,

Howtodo

• Proposed as answer by Justin Gu Sunday, January 18, 2015 11:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by Justin Gu Monday, January 19, 2015 4:15 PM
    Friday, January 9, 2015 11:33 AM