WHS 2011 - Errors on backup database, but cannot repair RRS feed

• Question

• One of my client PCs keeps failing to backup.  I try to remove the computer from the server, but get an error, which tells me to disable any future backups that are scheduled.

So I try to disable any future backups but get another error. The error message tells me there are errors in the backup database.

So I try to perform a repair and get yet another error message, this time telling me that an unknown error occurred and to make sure that all services are running and then try again.

At this point, all other client computers are affected as well.  A backup cannot run for any of them because there are errors in the backup database.  But if I can't repair the backup database, what other options do I have?

• Moved by Ken Warren Sunday, July 31, 2011 6:24 PM Vail question (From:Windows Home Server Software)
    Sunday, July 31, 2011 4:20 PM

All replies

• Have you tried restoring the client backup folder from the Server backup. I've had random corruption issues, but restoring the prior backup has always worked so far.

Good Luck

JohnBrown

Halifax, NS

Sunday, August 7, 2011 6:04 PM
  • And if you cannot restore the folder from a backup???? How do you repair it then.

I am having the same problem.

Thursday, November 10, 2011 3:50 PM
  • Corruption in the backup database that the internal repair feature can't fix, even after running chkdsk /r on all drives in your server, really means that the database is lost. So you could delete it and let your server start over from scratch.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 5:18 PM
  • Corruption in the backup database that the internal repair feature can't fix, even after running chkdsk /r on all drives in your server, really means that the database is lost. So you could delete it and let your server start over from scratch.
    Which is what I wanted to do, but every time I open the properties dialog box for any computer, it tells me that there are errors in the database and I have to fix it.  I'm not even allowed the option to delete and start over.
    Friday, November 11, 2011 3:58 AM
  • Deleting the database isn't functionality you'll find in the Dashboard. You'll log in to your server's desktop, then delete all the files you find in "E:\ServerFolders\Client Computer Backups" (drive letter will vary) and reboot your server.

But before you do that, have you run chkdsk /r on all drives in your server?

Friday, November 11, 2011 6:15 AM
  • Yes, and it didn't work.  I eventually just removed the hard drive and chose to re-create the backup folder on a different drive.
    Friday, November 11, 2011 6:41 AM
  • This approach worked for me.  After deleting the contents of the "Client Computer Backups" & configuring the chkdsk /r to run on restart, it took a significant amount of time for the Chkdsk to complete.  Once done, I had to reconfigure backups for each client machine on the network.

I had the same problem with the beta version, and would like to know what is causing it to happen in the first place.  Thanks to cheap 2TB hard drives and an external USB 3.0 drivecaddyt, backups are a simpler matter to manage, but I don't like having to wipe out my backup database every 6 months...

Sunday, November 20, 2011 10:15 PM
  • My backup drive had filled up and the backup service would no longer stay running.  I moved a 3gb file out of my backup drive, and the backup service would now run but it wouldn't succeed at a cleanup, because of the missing file.  It did do some cleanup before failing so I did get some space back.  I move the file back into the backup folder but I now got a new message during cleanup (backup log) saying that a file referred to by the file I put back no longer existed. In any event, backups would not run until I fixed the issues in the folder (per the error message). Ultimately (i.e., hours of frustration later) I just deleted everything from the backup folder (per the suggestion of this thread).  Whs2011 appears a lot more fragile than the old whs2003 (v1).
    Sunday, July 7, 2013 11:17 PM