Install WHS on a RAID5 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

It is possible to install the WHS in a array with 3 drives in Raid 5 configuration ?

Thanks

Paulo Gouveia
    Paulo Gouveia
    Monday, September 8, 2008 4:24 PM

Answers

• Pauleo,

Although it is technically possible to use a RAID volume for WHS, I would never choose to use RAID for WHS.  RAID is not a supported hardware platform for WHS so you are on your own when problems arise with installing WHS or when you need the WHS server restore functionality).

You might find reading this article informative.
    Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Monday, September 8, 2008 7:28 PM

All replies

• Pauleo,

Although it is technically possible to use a RAID volume for WHS, I would never choose to use RAID for WHS.  RAID is not a supported hardware platform for WHS so you are on your own when problems arise with installing WHS or when you need the WHS server restore functionality).

You might find reading this article informative.
    Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Monday, September 8, 2008 7:28 PM
  • Hi Paulo,
    if it is an hardware RAID, which lets see WHS installer the RAID as a single disk, it is possible to use. But as already Theo mentioned, it is not recommended and not a supported scenario, so in case of any unexpected side effects you are alone.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, September 8, 2008 7:50 PM
  • Paulo Gouveia,

Yes, It is possible.  The performance was terrible, but it worked (4 x 500 gb).

Chris
    Tuesday, September 9, 2008 2:32 AM
  • Hello

Thanks for the replys.
    The need for redundancy is quite important.....without hardware raid at is the best policy to have data secure in the WHS ?
    I have 3 x 1.0 Tera HD

Thanks

Paulo Gouveia

Paulo Gouveia
    Tuesday, September 9, 2008 8:30 AM
  • The only form of redundancy supported in WHS is for shared folders. You can enable duplication for those, which causes the files in these shares stored on different harddisks.
    Olaf
    Tuesday, September 9, 2008 8:56 AM
  • If you feel redundancy is very important make sure you have offline backups of any important files.  As mentioned, WHS offers some protection for disk failure providing you have folder duplication turned on.  This will protect against data loss if one of your disks fails by ensuring there are multiple copies of data across disks.

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 3:58 PM
  • Thanks to all of you for the replys.

One more thing.
    I cant load the RAID drivers at the begining of the instalation of the WHS.
    How can I pass this issue ?

Thanks

BR

Paulo Gouveia
    Tuesday, September 9, 2008 6:19 PM
  • If it is a hardware RAID, you should not need specific RAID drivers.
    Maybe you will need drivers for the SATA controller, because SATA is not well supported by WHS integrated drivers.
    If your controller supports an IDE compatibility mode, you could use that by changing the settings in Bios (instead of RAID).

Otherwise you have to download the drivers for the controller and provide them on a floppy drive, if asked for. (First stage works also with USB stick, but second - the oldstyle blue setup screen will only accept drivers on a floppy after pressing F6 key.

Olaf
    Wednesday, September 10, 2008 7:26 AM