File Conflicts!!!!!! RRS feed

• Question

• I have rebuilt my server after having a power failure fault.  I was given a new server from HP and all seems to be fine.  The hardrives are showing as healthy and you can access them no problem.  However, the server is showing that there are file conflicts.  I delete the file and the health indicator turns from yellow to green, then after a few mins it comes up with more file conflicts.  It seems to be that when you sort out one load it looks for some more.  If I keep going at this rate I will end up deleting the whole server.  I have just over 2TB of media on the server!!  If this is the case then WHS is seriously flawed.  I cant belive that it is this unstable.  What if I had a buisness and used this for storage?  When I rebuilt the server with the software disks provided (HP) it installed all of the updates including PP1.  When I go to look for the files in the shared folders although it says there are conflicts the files are in the folder??? 

Is there a way to run a program that sorts this or a patch?

The server is a HP mediavault.

Any help appreciated!

Clem
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 10:47 AM

Answers

• Thanks Ken,

I will delete as I go and then that should be what is needed to stop this.  Again however, since turning on file duplication the server is still showing that it is healthy and there are no further file conflicts....curious.

Clem
    • Marked as answer by Clemster Monday, April 27, 2009 6:34 PM
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 3:13 PM

All replies

• Clemster said:

I have rebuilt my server after having a power failure fault.  I was given a new server from HP and all seems to be fine.  The hardrives are showing as healthy and you can access them no problem.  However, the server is showing that there are file conflicts.  I delete the file and the health indicator turns from yellow to green, then after a few mins it comes up with more file conflicts.  It seems to be that when you sort out one load it looks for some more.  If I keep going at this rate I will end up deleting the whole server.  I have just over 2TB of media on the server!!  If this is the case then WHS is seriously flawed.  I cant belive that it is this unstable.  What if I had a buisness and used this for storage?  When I rebuilt the server with the software disks provided (HP) it installed all of the updates including PP1.  When I go to look for the files in the shared folders although it says there are conflicts the files are in the folder??? 

Is there a way to run a program that sorts this or a patch?

The server is a HP mediavault.

Any help appreciated!

Clem

File conflicts generally mean there is something wrong either with hardware or with software that is installed on the Windows Home Server.

Have you had a chance to review the File Conflict FAQ post? Is your file conflict message listed? What are the exact file conflict messages? This is important as different messages point to different causes.

When you rebuilt the server, did you do a server recovery?

Thank you

Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 11:53 AM
  • Hi Laura,

Normally the conflicy message shows that it cant find the path, however the files are there.  That said, when I try to stream the conflicted file via say Power DVD it cant play it.  I rebuilt the server using the server recovery disks from HP that came with the Mediasmart. 

I checked the shared files via the console and that showed that the video folder was failing so I turned on file duplication and that has, for the immediate time being, fixed that fault.  It simply disappeared and I am now not showing any file conflicts and the health icon is green.  It cant be as simple as that could it?

Before the server was rebuilt 500 gb of data would have been lost as the last disk that I added to the server was replaced with a new one so in effect there could be files that are showing on the server that may no longer be there? Is it looking that it may be better for me to erase the files and start again?

Thanks for your help Laura

Clem
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 12:02 PM
  • Clemster said:

Before the server was rebuilt 500 gb of data would have been lost as the last disk that I added to the server was replaced with a new one so in effect there could be files that are showing on the server that may no longer be there? Is it looking that it may be better for me to erase the files and start again?

Are you saying that you lost a data drive as part of the server replacement/reinstallation? If so, then yes I think this could conceivably cause file conflict errors for any file with a file shadow (what the Drive Extender tombstone points to) on that drive.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 3:04 PM
  • Thanks Ken,

I will delete as I go and then that should be what is needed to stop this.  Again however, since turning on file duplication the server is still showing that it is healthy and there are no further file conflicts....curious.

Clem
    • Marked as answer by Clemster Monday, April 27, 2009 6:34 PM
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 3:13 PM