none
Do I Need To Buy A License To Use The Segoe UI Symbol Font For Commercial Use?

Question

• This is probably a bogus question, but here it is.

I'm writing a WinForms C# app in Visual Studio in which I will use the Segoe UI Symbol font for some controls that contain text.

Examples:

For a Play button I'll use "⏵"

For a Stop button I'll use "⏹"

My understanding is that some fonts require the purchase of a commercial license for use in apps that will be sold. I chose the Segoe UI Symbol font because it is bundled with Windows, so no additional font installation will be required by the end user. Will I need to purchase a commercial license to use the Segoe UI Symbol font in a commercial app if used this way?

• Edited by Milwaukee Broad Wednesday, January 20, 2016 10:47 PM
    • Moved by Fred Bao Thursday, January 21, 2016 7:32 AM moved by requested
    Wednesday, January 20, 2016 10:45 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting here.

This forum aims to discuss windows development technology issue, in order to provide precise information to help, I will help you move this case to "where is the forum for" to help you find correct forum.

May

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, January 21, 2016 7:32 AM
  • I'd try them over here.

https://www.microsoft.com/typography/links/news.aspx?NID=1122

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Thursday, January 21, 2016 1:46 PM
  • Thanks, May. Can you provide a link here to the correct forum for this topic?
    Thursday, January 21, 2016 8:37 PM
  • Thanks, May. Can you provide a link here to the correct forum for this topic?

I'd try them over here.

https://www.microsoft.com/typography/links/news.aspx?NID=1122

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Thursday, January 21, 2016 8:39 PM