Will there be a new version of WHS at some point, e.g. based on Windows Server 2008? RRS feed

• Question

• I want to encrypt data on the server with Bitlocker.

Thanks!
    Matt Griscom [MSFT]
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 4:55 PM

Answers

• While there has been some speculation in the blogosphere about Windows Home Server V.Next, I don't believe Microsoft has made an offical statement as to what the base OS will be. (I'll admit it seems logical to me that it would be Windows Server 2008 or Windows 7, but really I'm only speculating.) In any case, no matter what the base OS it seems unlikely to me that BitLocker drive encryption would be supported, given that all access to the server is, by design, through the console, the shares, and the remote access web site. Consider how you configure and use BitLocker today, and the requirements for it...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 5:34 PM

All replies

• While there has been some speculation in the blogosphere about Windows Home Server V.Next, I don't believe Microsoft has made an offical statement as to what the base OS will be. (I'll admit it seems logical to me that it would be Windows Server 2008 or Windows 7, but really I'm only speculating.) In any case, no matter what the base OS it seems unlikely to me that BitLocker drive encryption would be supported, given that all access to the server is, by design, through the console, the shares, and the remote access web site. Consider how you configure and use BitLocker today, and the requirements for it...
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 5:34 PM
  • To guard against the case of my WHS box getting stolen, I want the best available security with bitlocker in the OS.

Will there be a vNext of WHS, on a server OS with bitlocker e.g. Windows Server 2008 ? If so, roughly when?
    Matt Griscom [MSFT]
    • Merged by Ken WarrenModerator Thursday, July 23, 2009 9:38 PM merged with user's previous thread on the subject
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 9:30 PM
  • (Merged with previous thread...)
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 9:40 PM