Money Plux Deluxe Sunset RRS feed

• Question

• I HAVE TWO ACCOUNTS IN MY MONEY PLUS. THEY ARE SEPARATE ENTRIES AND NOT COMBINED.   ONE IS MY FARM ACCOUNT AND THE OTHER IS MY PERSONAL ACCOUNT.  SINCE YESTERDAY I HAVE BEEN UNABLE TO GET INTO MY PERSONAL ACCOUNT. THE PAGE DROPS OFF AND A WRITTEN PAGE COMES UP SAYING THAT MY COMPUTER HAD TO BE CLOSED BEFORE MORE DAMAGE COULD HAPPEN. I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO RECOVER BY USING BACKUP BUT ONLY THE FARM ACCOUNT COMES UP. PLEASE HELP.

Tuesday, May 14, 2019 7:08 PM

All replies

• If you have not done so already, copy your .mny files and any backup files to an external flash drive, CD, or DVD.  Your computer may be having a hardware failure and it it essential that you have copies of those files in a safe place.

Then, to help us understand your situation, please confirm that you currently have two active .mny files, - one for personal accounts and one for farm accounts.  That would mean that when you want to work with farm accounts you would double click on the farm .mny file and when you want to work or the persona accounts you would double-click on the personal .mny file.  If that is correct, what happens when you click on the personal .mny file?  Does that give an error message right away?  What is the error message?

Bill Becker

Tuesday, May 14, 2019 8:10 PM
  • I do have two active .mny files - one for personal accounts which is large and one for a farm that is rented out.   

When I click on the farm account, it comes upr okay.

When I click on the personal account, the farm information comes up also.        How do I get this problem resolved?  I have tried bringing up recent downloads, they show up as farm accounts also, and some will show that the file is corrupt.

I started on computers in 1978, and this is the first time this has happened.  I have a team time with a computer gentlemen; however, he cannot do anything on this as it is not on the internet and he is not familiar with Microsoft Money Plus Sunset

Hope to hear back from you.

Dee Herington

Saturday, May 18, 2019 2:59 PM
  • It sounds like your personal .mny file has somehow been overwritten with the farm file.  To sort this out, I suggest:

- open File explorer and search each drive on your computer for .mny files

- copy all of these files to an external flash drive or DVD for safe keeping

- check the dates and file sizes to see if you can figure out if any of them are for your personal account

If you find the personal .mny file, great.  If not, do a search for .mbf files which are Money backup files.  There should be quite a few.  The file names will be something like "Farm_2019-05-19_163706" or "Personal_2019-05-19_163706".   The backup filename is made up of the .mny file name with the date (5/19/2019 in this case) and time (4:37:06 pm) that the file was created.  Copy these to an external flash drive for safe keeping.

When you look through the .mbf files you may be able to figure out from the file size which ones are a backup of your personal data.  If you know the date on which you last successfully accessed your personal file, that may also give a clue.  Double-click on that file and restore it to your Documents folder with a name like PersonalRestored.mny.

Let us know how which files you find and if you are successful.

Bill Becker

Saturday, May 18, 2019 4:28 PM