• Hello gents,

Here's what I currently have installed on a brand new custom built server:
    Windows Home Server with Power Pack 2 Evaluation Copy -  Expires 4/14/2010
    Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.2030.2
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.2030.13

I tried executing install.cmd via Remote Desktop as per the installation instructions. All seemed to go well for a while and then I got a CMD prompt saying something along the lines of "the PowerPack can't be installed in the current version of WHS", I don't remember the exact words, but that was the meaning. If I try to install again, all I see is a CMD window blinking really fast and nothing else happens.

What I have tried so far to no effect:
    - run uninstall.exe, reboot, run install
    - download PP3 again (exact same byte size) and redo the ordeal
    - force WHS to install all available updates and redo the ordeal
    - look for system restore in WHS but there doesn't seem to have such a tool there

Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 8:51 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I'm sure this has been answered before. You need to read the instructions and follow them to a TEE.
    You need to make sure the PP3 beta is in the correct place and you fire the installer from the correct place or it will not install.
    I know when I tried the install the first time I got the same error. Then I followed the install instructions and locations and it installed.

Good luck!

Saturday, October 24, 2009 7:03 PM
  • Hello gents,

Here's what I currently have installed on a brand new custom built server:
    Windows Home Server with Power Pack 2 Evaluation Copy -  Expires 4/14/2010
    Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.2030.2
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.2030.13

I tried executing install.cmd via Remote Desktop as per the installation instructions. All seemed to go well for a while and then I got a CMD prompt saying something along the lines of "the PowerPack can't be installed in the current version of WHS", I don't remember the exact words, but that was the meaning. If I try to install again, all I see is a CMD window blinking really fast and nothing else happens.

What I have tried so far to no effect:
    - run uninstall.exe, reboot, run install
    - download PP3 again (exact same byte size) and redo the ordeal
    - force WHS to install all available updates and redo the ordeal
    - look for system restore in WHS but there doesn't seem to have such a tool there

Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance

Did you try copying all of the necessary files (including the install.cmd file) to the server desktop, then running it from there?
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 11:37 PM
  • OOPS - Sorry mate. I didn't see that you had a eval copy installed... I used the OEM... and have a valid license.
    I don't believe the beta will work on the EVAL.

Sunday, October 25, 2009 1:53 AM
  • OOPS - Sorry mate. I didn't see that you had a eval copy installed... I used the OEM... and have a valid license.
    I don't believe the beta will work on the EVAL.

Yes, it will.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 2:49 PM
  • As Ken says, it will install on the Eval copy, I'm running an Eval copy now with PP3.  This error message means you haven't installed all the prior updates needed for PP3.  Power Packs are not like Windows Service Packs, Power Packs have pre-requisites.  Since you have tried to install PP3 and it failed, you probably need to reinstall Home Server, then keep installing updates until there are no more updates to install, this will take several hours because there are a lot of updates, PP1, PP2, and many other updates.  Then after ALL updates are installed and you can go to Windows Update and there is nothing there in critical updates then try PP3 again.
    Monday, October 26, 2009 1:57 PM
  • Thanks to all who replied!

@JRLROCKS
    Yep, I did follow it to a Tee and still no joy and I know by previous experience that PP3 will install on an evaluation copy.

@kariya21
    Yes, I physically plugged a keyboard/mouse/monitor to run it from the server itself and got the same result.

@Ken Warren
    I mentioned in my original message that this was a brand new server but I failed to mention that before that I was running an evaluation copy of WHS in an old and noisy machine but in which I had no problem installing PP3 whatsoever

@3ddeen
    I believe you did not read my original message when I said that, and I quote myself "- force WHS to install all available updates and redo the ordeal"... so, when I force-check for updates WHS checks MS and returns that everything is current in my machine.

======

I guess now, it's time to reinstall WHS altogether or just give up on PP3 and wait until it goes gold.

Thanks again,
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 12:14 AM
  • The Install.cmd didn't work for me ether so i just opened cmd and manualy typed in the commands 

WindowsSearch-KB940157-Srv2K3-x86-enu.exe /z /u

WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB969949-x86-ENU.exe /z /u

WHS-KB968349-v1-x86-ENU.exe /forcerestart

Now all is well
    Monday, November 2, 2009 7:35 AM