Many people complaining about not being able to sign onto MS sites now so what is up? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I've seen two treads in the VB.Net Forum and one in an SQL forum about this issue. The VB.Net threads were moved here.

I have Windows 7 with I.E. 11. My browser is setup to delete everything on close (cookies, cache, etc.) and I have not had any problems logging on. However I have seen other problems posting like the site goes down or an interrupt occurs with the site causing a post not to be processed when posting for a thread.

Others say it is Chrome and Firefox they have issues with although I've read problems with I.E. too but not Edge from what I can recollect.

And then there's the possibility it is a Windows 10 issue since alot of the people having issues with this seem to be on Win10.

What is the possibility a Windows 10 update is causing this and not the actual Forums? If that is a possibility it needs to be looked into.

Peter N Roth mentioned something about turning off Win10 udpate in this thread Is MS shutting out non-Edge browsers? so I was curious if that could be the culprit which I have no way of testing.

La vida loca

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 7:52 PM

All replies

• There are several threads in this forum on the issue. See this announcement from Microsoft, including suggested workaround:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/206824a4-2faa-490d-9283-778d49a3b411/sign-on-issues-with-forums-sites?forum=reportabug

Our theory is that it is caused by corrupt credentials in the local profile. See Dave Patrick's answer in this thread:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/bee29677-a0c1-4fcd-a696-b53b63604dc6/page-not-found-when-logging-in-microsoft-development-network?forum=reportabug#e532aea2-627a-4e79-bd59-1bbcf782cca8

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 8:01 PM
  • I've seen two treads in the VB.Net Forum and one in an SQL forum about this issue. The VB.Net threads were moved here.

I have Windows 7 with I.E. 11. My browser is setup to delete everything on close (cookies, cache, etc.) and I have not had any problems logging on. However I have seen other problems posting like the site goes down or an interrupt occurs with the site causing a post not to be processed when posting for a thread.

Others say it is Chrome and Firefox they have issues with although I've read problems with I.E. too but not Edge from what I can recollect.

And then there's the possibility it is a Windows 10 issue since alot of the people having issues with this seem to be on Win10.

What is the possibility a Windows 10 update is causing this and not the actual Forums? If that is a possibility it needs to be looked into.

Peter N Roth mentioned something about turning off Win10 udpate in this thread Is MS shutting out non-Edge browsers? so I was curious if that could be the culprit which I have no way of testing.

La vida loca

Hi

With Firefox (fully up to date) on Win 10 64bit.

Regarding MS update: I believe, in my case, that an update was not a contributing factor as the last update on my system was a couple of weeks prior to issues starting.

Regards Les, Livingston, Scotland

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 8:11 PM
  • Yes, besides the issue where people cannot sign into the forums, we also get errors when attempting to save. Also, I have had things freeze up on my Windows 10 computer while I am trying to reply in a form thread. The best solution is to restart. Usually I seem to get an update when this happens, but that is a different issue from the sign in problem. The sign in issue has been a pain for the last week. The other issues have been experienced for much longer.

I have not experienced the sign in problem, but I log into my Windows 10 computer with a Microsoft account (MSA). I get authenticated in the MSDN\TechNet forums automatically (once I refresh). I use the Edge browser. Also, I never configure my browser to remember any passwords. So Credential Manager is not an issue for me. But I also have had no problems using FireFox to work in the forums on my Windows 7 computer, where I logon to the computer with a local account. Maybe not allowing the browser to save passwords makes the difference. On the Windows 7 machine I need to sign in with my MSA credentials when I want to reply in the forums.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 8:29 PM
  • Yes Richard Mueller but wouldn't account credentials in the local profile be account credentials on the computer the browser is on? Or something to do with the local browser?

That's why I was wondering if it could be a Win10 issue or something but I suppose not.

TKS for the response!

La vida loca

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 8:39 PM
  • It looks like a CDN (content distribution network) related issue. It seems to be location dependent. I have intermittent issues, with Chrome, even so often, retry after a short time and it recovers  *without cleaning cookies and so on*.

-- pa

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 8:48 PM