HPC 2012 Node Problem RRS feed

• Question

• I'm new to HPC and I think there must be something obvious I'm missing, but I've been banging my head against this problem for a while now. I have HPC server installed on my own enterprise network with a separate DC which also does my DNS & DHCP. The problem I have is that when nodes are added to HPC it adds an entry in the local hosts file on the HPC server. But because my nodes are VMs on a separate (failover) cluster their ip address can change if they are rebooted, meaning the hosts entry on my HPC server is no longer valid and the node becomes unreachable.

Questions:

1. Why does HPC use the hosts file and never update it once it's added a node?

2. Why can't HPC just query the DNS on my DC for the ip of a node?

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 4:44 PM

All replies

• Hi Mark,

Thanks for the question.

1. HPC supports multiple network (Enterprise, Private and Application), in order for the services to use the right network for service communiation, appliation communication, we use hosts file to differentiate. You will see entries in hosts file like "private.<computename> ...."; And our management service running on the compute node will discover the ip change and report back to the headnode, while the headnode will broadcast the change to all.

So could you tell the details how he network topology looks like and which topologies setting in the cluster configuration you're using (1~5).

2. As stated in 1 for the reason we use DNS

Qiufang

Qiufang Shi

Thursday, September 25, 2014 2:20 AM