Hard drive removal using disk removal wizard taking extremely long. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have an Asus Home server that has around 7tb of disk space spanned across 5 drives. I diagnosed one of my external USB drives (500gb) as having many bad sectors. Chkdsk was unable to repair the disk so I've decided to remove the hard drive from the disk pool. I used the disk removal wizard from the Windows Home Server Console.

It has been trying to remove the hard disk for 27 hours now. The progress bar has been at 95% for 12 hours and I don't see it moving.

Is it normal for this process to take very very long?

Note: I do have duplication enabled across the drives. I also only used about 3tb out of 7.

Should I wait?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

Friday, June 24, 2011 12:09 AM

All replies

• No, you should not wait; either your drive has failed completely or it's on the verge of doing so. See this faq for more information about what the impact of a failed drive is.

My recommendation is to halt the removal (if you can), shut your server down, and disconnect the drive. It will then show as "missing". At that point, you can remove the drive. If there's enough free space (it sounds like there should be), Windows Home Server should re-duplicate everything; if there's not enough space to re-duplicate everything, you will see errors reported in the console, which means you will need to add a drive to server storage for your server to re-duplicate all your files.

Once you've finished adding the drive, and your server has re-duplicated everything, use the backup database Repair button in the console.

In the future, I would recommend against the use of external drives in server storage (they're fine as backup drives).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, June 24, 2011 12:23 AM
  • Ken,

I did as you suggested and the hard drive was removed successfully from the pool (2 hours this time). Thankfully, I didn't lose any data either.

Thank you very much for your help !

Friday, June 24, 2011 5:19 AM