Which Certification to do???? RRS feed

• Question

• Hey there. I am from the Fiji Islands. I finished High School and later got my Diploma in IT from TAFE Australia. This mainly consisted of technical support and network engineering.

Now, that I have graduated with a Diploma in IT, I want to do a Microsoft Certification which is the next level in my career. I don't want to get a degree at the moment.

So can anyone please help me choose which Certification to take.

Thanx in advance.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 10:02 AM

Answers

• If support is the are you are focusing on you might want to look at the MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician, this two exam certification was designed to help IT Pro Support Professionals prove their skill set. More information can be found here...

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcitp/entsupport/default.mspx

Stephen Charles Rea [MCT] askthemct.com
    • Proposed as answer by .revEditor Tuesday, June 10, 2008 11:33 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by GhostRida Wednesday, June 11, 2008 7:09 PM
    • Marked as answer by .revEditor Wednesday, June 18, 2008 10:02 PM
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 11:33 AM
    Answerer
  • I think the MCSA is still a viable option plus after you can take the 70-648 exam and pick up two of the new MCTS certs so you will have both. Many businesses will not adopt Windows Server 2008 because they don't move forward at a seedy pace, which is why I believe the MCSE and MCSA for Server 2003 are still and will still be relevant for another couple years. If you want to maximize your efforts and get the biggest cert-bang for your buck I'd take these exams and do both. You only have to take two exams devoted to Windows Server 2003, but can still acheive the MCSA Certification while also gaining certifications for newer current Microsoft technologies. Granted its 6 exams and will take some serious studying, but it will add 6 certifications to your CV/Resume as well.

70-620 - Vista
    70-290 - Server 2003
    70-291 - Server 2003
    70-624 - Vista & office Deployment
    70-648 - Server 2008 (Upgrade form MCSA)
    70-646 - Server 2008

If you completed all these exams you would have the following certifications...

MCSA Windows 2003 Server
    MCTS Windows Vista Configuration
    MCTS Business Desktop Deployment with the BDD
    MCTS Windows Server 2008 Active Directory Configuration
    MCTS Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure Configuration
    MCITP Server Administrator Windows Server 2008

• Proposed as answer by .revEditor Thursday, June 12, 2008 11:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by .revEditor Wednesday, June 18, 2008 10:01 PM
    Thursday, June 12, 2008 11:32 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• If support is the are you are focusing on you might want to look at the MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician, this two exam certification was designed to help IT Pro Support Professionals prove their skill set. More information can be found here...

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcitp/entsupport/default.mspx

• Proposed as answer by .revEditor Tuesday, June 10, 2008 11:33 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by GhostRida Wednesday, June 11, 2008 7:09 PM
    • Marked as answer by .revEditor Wednesday, June 18, 2008 10:02 PM
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 11:33 AM
    Answerer
  • Hey there. Thanx for your reply. I want to focus on the networking and server side. So why not MCSA.

But when it comes to MCSA, I am thinking why not the latest one wth Server 2008, MCTS.

But I am confused. Can u help me choose betwen MCSA or MCTS. Is the MCSA exam going to be expired or kept.

Pliz help me.

Thanx in advance.
    Wednesday, June 11, 2008 7:08 PM
  • I think the MCSA is still a viable option plus after you can take the 70-648 exam and pick up two of the new MCTS certs so you will have both. Many businesses will not adopt Windows Server 2008 because they don't move forward at a seedy pace, which is why I believe the MCSE and MCSA for Server 2003 are still and will still be relevant for another couple years. If you want to maximize your efforts and get the biggest cert-bang for your buck I'd take these exams and do both. You only have to take two exams devoted to Windows Server 2003, but can still acheive the MCSA Certification while also gaining certifications for newer current Microsoft technologies. Granted its 6 exams and will take some serious studying, but it will add 6 certifications to your CV/Resume as well.

70-620 - Vista
    70-290 - Server 2003
    70-291 - Server 2003
    70-624 - Vista & office Deployment
    70-648 - Server 2008 (Upgrade form MCSA)
    70-646 - Server 2008

If you completed all these exams you would have the following certifications...

MCSA Windows 2003 Server
    MCTS Windows Vista Configuration
    MCTS Business Desktop Deployment with the BDD
    MCTS Windows Server 2008 Active Directory Configuration
    MCTS Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure Configuration
    MCITP Server Administrator Windows Server 2008

• Proposed as answer by .revEditor Thursday, June 12, 2008 11:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by .revEditor Wednesday, June 18, 2008 10:01 PM
    Thursday, June 12, 2008 11:32 AM
    Answerer