restarting backup RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to re-start a back-up that was cancelled?
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 12:31 AM

Answers

• No, that isn't an option. However, you can start a backup and it will backup new or changed files only. Or, you can wait for the next scheduled run or reminder.

If this was the first backup and it partially completed, you will need to start over with a new backup.

-steve

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 1:19 PM

All replies

• No, that isn't an option. However, you can start a backup and it will backup new or changed files only. Or, you can wait for the next scheduled run or reminder.

If this was the first backup and it partially completed, you will need to start over with a new backup.

-steve

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 1:19 PM
  • I have never been succesful with backup and restore, even from the beta version. It seems to have the same desperate design faults as the shambles on Vista.

Example. To take the first backup on a 300GB system with a 3.3GHx core i7 6 core processor (CEI 7.7) brings it to its knees, unable to process any other job. The network (100Mb/s)  throughput available for any other job is 4Kb/s. To get up to 31% of the backup takes 4 days and nights continuous with no restart facilities and the slightest glitch on the net causes a crash.

Then the files created are unrecognised and can't be reloaded onto another machine.

As for Help? HELP!

My question is, is there any hope of a working replacement?

Dave
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 10:31 PM
  • I have never been succesful with backup and restore, even from the beta version. It seems to have the same desperate design faults as the shambles on Vista.

Example. To take the first backup on a 300GB system with a 3.3GHx core i7 6 core processor (CEI 7.7) brings it to its knees, unable to process any other job. The network (100Mb/s)  throughput available for any other job is 4Kb/s. To get up to 31% of the backup takes 4 days and nights continuous with no restart facilities and the slightest glitch on the net causes a crash.

Then the files created are unrecognised and can't be reloaded onto another machine.

As for Help? HELP!

My question is, is there any hope of a working replacement?

Dave

Backup in Windows?

Or Backup in Windows Live OneCare?

If the latter, there is no replacement directly, you need to seek out an alternative.

If the former, you're in the wrong forum. 

Your question may be better posed to one of the forums here.

Vista:
    http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsvista

XP: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsxp

Windows 7: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windows7

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Friday, December 3, 2010 12:29 PM