none
Unexpected errors are returning...

Question

• Welcome back my friend, long time no see.

Just tried to propose that post as answer.

The following is my signature:

Powershell Programmer & Advanced Lua Programmer

Beside that, whenever you see a reply, you think is helpful, click "Vote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the main question of the thread, click "Mark As Answer" (if you opened the thread).

I published the URL's for the icons in my signature.

Please contact me, before reporting me, thank you.

Need any links for images like CodeBlock? Go here.

Friday, July 12, 2013 12:58 PM

Answers

All replies

• How often are you experience this? What browser? Thanks!

Forums Program Manager

Friday, July 12, 2013 2:10 PM
  • I am seeing it more often as well.  Once each yesterday and today.  I use Chrome. 

I get it when I am trying to reply to an expanded thread from the main page.  If I open the thread on its own tab, I never have trouble with posting.

Friday, July 12, 2013 3:08 PM
  • My usual solution is to copy the text I wrote to Clipboard and Reload the thread (F5).

From the Previous Froum version I guess it is caused by the Thread you answer to or a one of it's parent thread being deleted/edited after you opened the thread.

Wild Guess:
    Edited Posts actually get a new ID/Primary Key but the "answer too" Option still has the Old Thread ID - wich is no longer valid, because it is no longer visible.

Let's talk about MVVM: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wpf/thread/b1a8bf14-4acd-4d77-9df8-bdb95b02dbe2 Please mark post as helpfull and answers respectively.

Monday, July 15, 2013 5:00 AM
  • When it happens to me, the threads I am replying to have not been edited, or answered since I started my reply.  When I get the error (another one today actually), it will not post unless I open the thread on its own tab.
    Monday, July 15, 2013 3:55 PM
  • I rather think you don't know how to properly refresh the page (just re-commiting the URL will not refresh), then refresh not working (but new tab doing).

In fact if resfresh is not working but new tab is, this sounds like a serious browser logic problem - nothing this Forum Application could affect and nothing I expect any know Browser to do.

Let's talk about MVVM: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wpf/thread/b1a8bf14-4acd-4d77-9df8-bdb95b02dbe2 Please mark post as helpfull and answers respectively.

Monday, July 15, 2013 6:10 PM
  • I know how to refresh the page.  I am replying to a thread from the main list page.  I expand a thread and press Reply.  Then key in my reply and press Submit.  Most of the time (90% or more) it works and the reply is posted.  

However, sometimes I get a yellow bar across the bottom of the Reply window that says "Unexpected Error".  In that case, the ONLY thing that will work is to open the thread on a separate tab instead of replying from the expanded list message.  When I type in the reply there and press Submit, it works fine.

Monday, July 15, 2013 6:14 PM
  • I too get a yellow bar somtimes, but it is empty (more of a line). A refresh always solves.

My Browser is Firefox 22.0 with AddBlock Plus 2.2.4 and Xmarks 4.2.1. I haven't see a message for a long time, but I think I used to get UnknownError. Possible that AddBlock blocks it (but not the formatting around it).

@Kamin: Please post your browser and the exact steps you use to refresh the thread you try to respond too.
    It is important for reproduction of the error.

Wild guess about Yellow Stipe/Unknow Error Message:

I think there is a session with Specific Micrsoft Services (this Forum, hotmal/now outlook) and a sort of "all Microsoft Services" Session. When I log in into anything specific I also get the all Services Session. When the login form detects I have a "all Micrsoft Services" Session, I automatically get a Specifc session and get redirected (as if I entered the values manually).

What I think happens/observed: The Forum specific session runs out while I type. The Submit button cannot redirect me to the Login Form (without lossing the data I want to submit). So I have to refresh the page, get redirected to login form, login form finds my "all MS Services" session and gives me a new Forum Session, I get redirected back to the thread, now with fresh Forum ID.
    Note: Since I don't enabeled the "Remmeber me" option last loged into the Forum this seems to happen a lot more.

Monday, July 15, 2013 8:00 PM
  • I also just got an Unexpected Error (popup, not the yellow bar) when trying to vote for a post added by a user with 4,600 points.  I include the point information because in the past, I have only had problems voting for posts that were added by users with more than 100,000 points.
    Wednesday, July 17, 2013 2:35 PM
  • I have also seen the yellow bar at the bottom, perhaps 4 times since the forums redesign. I believe I copied my reply, canceled, then refreshed and tried again, and it worked. I saw no pattern to explain. When I refreshed there was not more recent activity.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 3:10 PM
  • I just got the yellow bar again when I tried to post a response. I copied my reply, canceled, refreshed, and tried again. It worked.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 4:31 PM
  • This is a Known Issue.

Thanks!

Ed Price, SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Friday, August 30, 2013 10:54 PM
    Owner
  • This is a Known Issue.

Thanks!

Ed Price, SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

What exactly does this mean?

1) This is a known issue and we are working on it, but have no ETA
    2) This is a known issue and we are not working on it right now, but it is in our backlog

3) This is a known issue but we are not going to fix it so please don't bring it up again

4) Something else (please clarify)

Not trying to be snarky, but there are some bugs that you have replied to with links regarding information, fixes and/or workarounds, and then there are replies like this one.

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 3:59 PM
  • Well, I'll not set any workaround or something like "We already know" as answer since this is now a very long being issue and not being fixed. Well you have luck this time, as trying to unpropose all your 3 proposed answers above, I was able to get the unexpeced error for the FIRST and the LAST action, so how you can see, the first and last post are still proposed as answer. My action has been taken 3-4mins before this post here was sent, so you have now good items to find out what happened!

The following is my signature:

Powershell Programmer & Advanced Lua Programmer

Beside that, whenever you see a reply, you think is helpful, click "Vote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the main question of the thread, click "Mark As Answer" (if you opened the thread).

I published the URL's for the icons in my signature.

Please contact me, before reporting me, thank you.

Need any links for images like CodeBlock? Go here.

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 5:25 AM