Windows Live OneCare and Win 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I was on the beta team for Win 7. I backed up my system with

Windows Live OneCare ....big mistake. I would like to go back to Vista that was originally installed onmy notebook (I think Win 7, especially the ultimate addition is way over-priced.
    Do you know how I canmake this work since OneCare cannot be loaded on Win 7. Vista is not on my drive as I did not anticipate this issue so I didn't create a new partition. Now, Win 7 will begin to shut down tomorrow.
    IMHO, lousy treatment of beta testers.

Thank you

Dave

Monday, March 1, 2010 9:12 AM

Answers

• Windows OneCare only backed up your data. If you have been running the Windows 7 beta since last year, your OneCare backup is old.
    If you chose to use the Windows 7 beta, you were advised that there was no upgrade path from the beta build and that a full system restore would be needed to go back to your previous operating system.
    You have two choices if you wish to go back to Vista and restore your data.
    1. Use the Windows Easy Transfer Wizard (on the Windows 7 DVD) to backup all of your data and account information. Use the PC manufacturer's process to restore the PC to factory condition and then reinstall programs, all updates, and restore your data with the Windows Easy Transfer Wizard.
    2. Format the drive, restore the PC to factory condition, install OneCare and restore last year's backup using OneCare or install a different security product and use the OneCare Restore Tool to restore last year's backup:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecarebackupandrestore/thread/e5d686c8-762b-4b22-bc08-bfb93f911e57

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, March 1, 2010 2:20 PM