SQL 2008/CRM 4.0 Reporting error RRS feed

• Question

• The powers to be have upgraded my SQL server from 2005 to 2008 today and things are working fine except for reports. I know that it's only been a few months that CRM 4.0 works with SQL 2008 and that when you install 4.0 after SQL 2008 it'll update accordingly. I was wondering what needs to be done to get the 2008 reporting services to work again with CRM 4.0.

Is it a hotfix? Do I have to unistall 4.0 and then reinstall it?

Thursday, October 9, 2008 6:30 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Did you install the SRS Data Connector for Dynamics CRM? It is a kind of connector used by Reporting Services that prevents from the issue known as "kerberos double-hop". If you tell us what errors do you have, it may be easier to help you. But first of all, please install the connector.

Kind regards,

Kuba

Thursday, October 9, 2008 10:37 PM
  • If they upgraded from 2005 to 2008, the srs data connector probably just needs to be repaired--on the reporting server, go to add/remove programs, select the SRS data connector, and choose the repair option.  If that doesn't work, completely remove it then reinstall.  You will find the srs data connector install files on the crm install media.

Sunday, October 12, 2008 7:02 PM
  • Turns out I was putting in the instance as <servername>MSCRM4 when it should have only been MSCRM4.  Changing that allowed the install to work.
    • Proposed as answer by avdlaan Wednesday, November 11, 2009 4:09 PM
    • Marked as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Friday, November 13, 2009 4:34 PM
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 4:08 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Did you install the SRS Data Connector for Dynamics CRM? It is a kind of connector used by Reporting Services that prevents from the issue known as "kerberos double-hop". If you tell us what errors do you have, it may be easier to help you. But first of all, please install the connector.

Kind regards,

Kuba

Thursday, October 9, 2008 10:37 PM
  • I believe it is installed. Unfortunately this is one of those left hand operating independently from the right hand. I was just told they upgraded to sql 2008 and then was told to find the solution. Does the SRS connector have to be re-installed or upgraded if it was already installed for sql 2005? Here is the dev log of the error

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.MissingDataSourceCredentialsException: One or more data sources is missing credentials

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[MissingDataSourceCredentialsException: One or more data sources is missing credentials]
       Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ParametersArea.ValidateAllReportInputsSatisfied() +130
       Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ReportViewer.OnPreRender(EventArgs e) +865

[CrmException: An error occurred during report rendering.]
       Microsoft.Crm.Web.Reporting.SrsReportViewer.ReportErrorHandler(Object sender, ReportErrorEventArgs e) +698
       Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ReportViewer.OnError(Exception e) +104
       Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ReportViewer.OnPreRender(EventArgs e) +2054
       System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +118
       System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +239
       System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +239
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +3681

Thanks again for your help.
    Friday, October 10, 2008 6:14 PM
  • Hi,

This seems to be the issue with missing data connector. Please reinstall it and remember to restart iis. In case of no success, please consult this link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946289.

Let us know whether this helps,

Kuba

Friday, October 10, 2008 6:25 PM
  • If they upgraded from 2005 to 2008, the srs data connector probably just needs to be repaired--on the reporting server, go to add/remove programs, select the SRS data connector, and choose the repair option.  If that doesn't work, completely remove it then reinstall.  You will find the srs data connector install files on the crm install media.

Sunday, October 12, 2008 7:02 PM
  • Thanks it was a connector issue. We got it reinstalled and everything is working up to snuff again.

Monday, October 13, 2008 5:27 PM
  • I spoke too soon as another interesting problem has come up. So our environment is set up as follows. We have one instance of sql2008 standard edition 64 bit that was recently built. SRS is on that machine as well. We then have a VM running the CRM server and nothing else. Everything is still working fine except the reports.

The data connector is on the sql instance, but needs to be updated after the 2008 upgrade. Tried to repair it from the Add/Remove programs and got an error message:

Unable to validate SQL Server Reporting Services Report Server installation. Please check that it is correctly installed on the local machine.

Tried to use the solution from the knowledge base article  found here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947060/en-us

However the solution didn't work as the article is for sql 2005 and I'm not sure if it still works for 2008.

We went to completely unistall the connector and just reinstall it fresh, but couldn't as we recieved the following message

Action Microsoft.CRM.Setup.SrsDataConnector.UnregisterDataExtensionAction failed.

The URL can not be empty

Parameter name: url

I've never seen this before and have scoured the internet trying to find the solution but no one seems have seen this before. Was wondering if anyone has even the slightest clue.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 6:38 PM
  • I had this issue, and method # 2 in the KB article worked for me.  It should work with 2008 and is required if you have a named SQL instance. 

So you edited the config file and ran it from a command prompt, and it still didn't work for you?

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 6:48 PM
  • Yes we did all the steps and still hit the same error. That's when we tried to just completely unistall the Connector and got the action failed error.

Have you seen the fix work for sql 2008 or did you do it on 2005? Also we don't know if the 64bit is playing a factor or not. It's just frustrating that we can't just unistall and reinstall the connector, any ideas why that would be?

I greatly appreciate the feedback.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 4:35 PM
  • Also having this problem. CRM4.0/SQL Server2008/Server2008 64-bit.

This is a new build and considering the pain of updating between systems I want to be up to date at rollout.

Notwithstanding the many other problems I've faced; to be stopped by this is frustrating.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 7:59 PM
  • I'm getting the exact same issues.  Just upgraded our server to SQL 2008.  Uninstalled the Connector and now cannot re-install.  Same error as above "Unable to validate SQL Server Reporting Services Report Server installation. Please check that it is correctly installed on teh local machine."

Any thoughts on this issue?
    Friday, October 16, 2009 6:52 PM
  • I'm also having the same issue. I cannot install the Data Connector either. "Unable to validate SQL Server Reporting Services Report Server installation" Any ideas how to get around this?
    Friday, October 16, 2009 7:40 PM
  • Try running the update option on the 1st screen before installing.

The update contains this http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/952602

Error message when you try to install Microsoft Dynamics CRM Data Connector for Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0: "Unable to validate SQL Server Reporting Services Report Server installation"

This problem occurs because the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) namespace is changed in SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services. Therefore, you receive the error message that is mentioned in the "Symptoms" section when the Setup program performs a check in the EDW.
    SJ
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 11:10 PM
  • SJ,

I tried running Roll-up 6 on the server again, but that did not seem to help.  Of course the update for SRS wouldn't install as the Data connector isn't installed.  Sort of a catch 22 there.

Any other thoughts?
    Monday, October 19, 2009 12:36 PM
  • Hi,
    You need to run the install update not the server update.
    SJ
    Monday, October 19, 2009 12:47 PM
  • SJ,

Can you be a bit more specific?  The article you reference above is the exact error I'm experiencing, however, the resolution is as follows:

This problem is fixed in the latest cumulative update rollup for Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    949256  (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949256/ ) Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 updates and hotfixes

I'm not finding the "install update" you suggest.  Can you direct me a little closer?

Thanks for your help so far!
    Monday, October 19, 2009 12:55 PM
  • No Prob, when you start the installation of the SRS data connector , it gives you an option to download updates.

Its on the 1st page when you start the installation:

Welcome to MS Dynamic CRM connector for SSRS Setup

to the end of the page there is an option called update installation files (strongly recommended)

How to obtain the setup updates for Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/948917
    SJ
    Monday, October 19, 2009 1:03 PM
  • SJ,

I had always been selecting the option to update the installation files, however, in thinking that maybe this was not grabbing the very latest, I used the link you provided to manually download the updates and created and XML file as suggested to run this process manually.

I'm still getting the same error.

Other thoughts?

Monday, October 19, 2009 1:12 PM
  • Is your Reporting server using the default SQL instance?
    SJ
    Monday, October 19, 2009 1:18 PM
  • SJ,

Our Reporting server is using <servername>\MSCRM4.

I wasn't sure whether or not that's the default instance (I presume it's not) so I set up a config file to manually insert the instance name as suggested in one of the KB articles.
    Monday, October 19, 2009 1:24 PM
  • I would verify that the report server is working and look at the server events , SQL & SRS logs they may show more info.

SJ
    Monday, October 19, 2009 1:35 PM
  • Have you checked the firewall settings and the remote connections on both servers (ws2008 & sqlsvr2008)

Jonathan Nachman MBSP, MCTS

My Blog

CRM Consultant for KMS Software
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 12:36 PM
  • Turns out I was putting in the instance as <servername>MSCRM4 when it should have only been MSCRM4.  Changing that allowed the install to work.
    • Proposed as answer by avdlaan Wednesday, November 11, 2009 4:09 PM
    • Marked as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Friday, November 13, 2009 4:34 PM
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 4:08 PM
  • I am getting this error when trying to run reports from CRM 4.0

Error Description:
    The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.

Error Details:
    The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.

Full Stack:
    [WebException: The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.]
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.ReportingServices2005.Execution.RSExecutionConnection.GetSecureMethods()
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.ReportingServices2005.Execution.RSExecutionConnection.IsSecureMethod(String methodname)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.ReportingServices2005.Execution.RSExecutionConnection.SetConnectionSSLForMethod(String methodname)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.ReportingServices2005.Execution.RSExecutionConnection.LoadReport(String Report, String HistoryID)
       at Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ServerReport.GetExecutionInfo()
       at Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ServerReport.SetParameters(IEnumerable`1 parameters)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Web.Reporting.SrsReportViewer.ConfigurePage()

[CrmReportingException: The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.]
       at Microsoft.Crm.Web.Reporting.SrsReportViewer.ConfigurePage()
       at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Controls.AppUIPage.OnPreRender(EventArgs e)
       at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal()
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

[HttpUnhandledException: Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown.]
       at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
       at ASP.inbox_crmreports_rsviewer_reportviewer_aspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

Other Message:

Error Number:
    0x80040494

Source File:
    Not available

Line Number:
    Not available

Any help would be highly appreciated

Regards

Junaid Tahir

Wednesday, December 8, 2010 7:04 AM