Media sharing problem RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently installed WHS over the RC version I had been running for about 6 months. I only used the RC for backups so had not tried media streaming until I installed the final version. I have a Zensonic Z500 that works fine with the other PCs on my network (3 vista & xp), but can not see any shares on the Home-Server, though it can see the Home-Server.

I suspect I need to tell Media Connect to allow the Z500 to access the shares, but unfortunately the Windows Media Connect software does not seem to be on the server. The service is running, but I can't find the interface, there is no menu item for it and I tried manually running the 3 exe files in the Media connect directory without any luck.

I have stopped and started media sharing and rebooted till the cows came home, but still 0 shares.

Any help would be most appreciated.
    Friday, December 7, 2007 8:45 PM

Answers

• I looked pretty quick at the device features but I didn't see anywhere you could enable Windows Media Connect.  I am not sure if that device supports it.  I did however, see that it streams from SMB (shared folders).  I would suggest enabling the guest account on your Windows Home Server and giving the guest account Read or Write access to the shared folder with the Media.  See if that works.

Friday, December 7, 2007 9:38 PM

All replies

• I looked pretty quick at the device features but I didn't see anywhere you could enable Windows Media Connect.  I am not sure if that device supports it.  I did however, see that it streams from SMB (shared folders).  I would suggest enabling the guest account on your Windows Home Server and giving the guest account Read or Write access to the shared folder with the Media.  See if that works.

Friday, December 7, 2007 9:38 PM
  • Works a treat. Fancy something a simple as that bugging me for so long.

Thanks,
      Dave

PS An interesting point though is that I downloaded a guide from the MS website about media sharing in WHS, and the version of Media Player referred to in the paper is not the same as the one on my server?
    Friday, December 7, 2007 9:45 PM